Good enough PSU

david4141

I have a Corsair VS550 and i wanted to know if that is good enough for a RX 5700xt for my build that i will be doing soon?

Just now, TrigrH said:

as a temporary psu maybe, wouldn't run that long term personally.

What PSU would you recommend that is inexpensive?

7 minutes ago, david4141 said:

What PSU would you recommend that is inexpensive?

inexpensive is subjective as soon as you dip below something like a corsair CX the PSU quality drops pretty hard.

corsair CX - new models not the green labels

corsair CXM - new models not the green labels

Super flower leadex III 

BeQuiet Straight Power 11 Gold 

Seasonic Focus GX

Seasonic Focus GM

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

14 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

inexpensive is subjective as soon as you dip below something like a corsair CX the PSU quality drops pretty hard.

Super flower leadex III 

Seasonic Focus GX

Seasonic Focus GM

what are the chances that my current psu would break a 5700xt

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Super flower leadex III 

Seasonic Focus GX

Seasonic Focus GM

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

So the cx 550m is good enough for a 5700xt with ryzen 5 3600?

6 hours ago, SuddenS said:

So the cx 550m is good enough for a 5700xt with ryzen 5 3600?

AMD states of minimum 600 W PSU for that card...so you could have system instability issues.

I don't get u people you pay hell lot of money for components including for that card and you save for cheapest PSU.

Don't you ppl understaand that PSU is the most important component inside PC.

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-rx-5700-series-quick-start-guide-en.pdf

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

AMD states of minimum 600 W PSU for that card...so you could have system instability issues.

I don't get u people you pay hell lot of money for components including for that card and you save for cheapest PSU.

Don't you ppl understaand that PSU is the most important component inside PC.

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-rx-5700-series-quick-start-guide-en.pdf

That's not true. CX 550 can run a 2080S with a 3950X.

3 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

That's not true. CX 550 can run a 2080S with a 3950X.

who cares,I'm talking about his graphics card...look at the link I provided...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

3 hours ago, frozensun said:

When AMD or Nvidia "recommends" a PSU, they're doing so taking into consideration worst case scenario.

If they get too specific like "500W if your PSU is not group regulated", they're only going to confuse the average end user.

A CX550 has the ability to put out 549.6W on the +12V rail alone.  99% of the PSU's total capabiltiy.

Compare that to a group regulated unit like a Diablotek PHD 650W, which is supposedly 100W more capable, and it only has 552W on the +12V rail. 

39 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

When AMD or Nvidia "recommends" a PSU, they're doing so taking into consideration worst case scenario.

If they get too specific like "500W if your PSU is not group regulated", they're only going to confuse the average end user.

A CX550 has the ability to put out 549.6W on the +12V rail alone.  99% of the PSU's total capabiltiy.

Compare that to a group regulated unit like a Diablotek PHD 650W, which is supposedly 100W more capable, and it only has 552W on the +12V rail. 

oooh okay...

still I think 550 W is bare minimum for his system,though I don't know the rest of his PC.

CX 550 is Bronze so how much can that PSU provide in total Watts?

How come 550 W if it's Bronze rated?

I'm confused.

13 minutes ago, frozensun said:

oooh okay...

still I think 550 W is bare minimum for his system,though I don't know the rest of his PC.

I'm confused.

Bronze is just an efficiency rating.  Has nothing to do with a PSU's output capability. 

PSUs "wattages" are rated at total DC output capability.  Has nothing to do with AC input. 

If the PSU is less efficient (e.g. Bronze VS. Gold) that just means it requires more AC power to output the same amount of DC power.  The AC not converted to DC is lost as heat. 

On 5/23/2020 at 11:15 PM, frozensun said:

I care, I was indirectly talking about his GPU as well. It's simple logic.

On 5/24/2020 at 1:23 AM, frozensun said:

oooh okay...

I'm confused.

Oh, you are indeed ...

Efficiency certification doesn't have anything to do with quality of PSU, it's total wattage or the ratio of power on 12V rail to total wattage, it only (obviously) tells you just how efficient this PSU is, and even at that it's rather ballpark as there are some Bronze units that more efficient than Silver ones. Additionally as it comes, they (Ecova) don't even test each unit that's submitted for certification, you can just tell them to reuse a report for other random PSU saying that you're using it's platform where in fact it's not necessarily true, they don't check that.

TLDR: 80+ certification is only relatively good for filtering out complete garbage by looking at least for 80+ Bronze rated units (and even then there's some 80+ White units that are better than some 80+ Bronze ones), aside of that it doesn't have any connection with performance or quality of PSU.

PS: What you should look for when choosing a PSU is at least how much current it can output on 12V rail compared to total wattage, if there's only 12V rail and it's close enough to total wattage (like 95% and up) then it's likely a unit with DC-DC (which is basically a requirement for any modern PSU). Better - look for it's reviews from reliable reviewers, with reviews from Aris Mpitzopoulos on Tom's Hardware / Techpowerup being the most detailed and right now, other reviewers like Jonnyguru.com's Jeremy/Tazz/Jon and perhaps also Tweakpc.de, Eteknix, F14lab, Clubedohardware aren't that detailed but worth looking at.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply