PC hard crashed during gaming session, now no display. Power Supply/Graphics Card Problem?

steven_thebear

My PC completely hard crashed and now I have no display. I have absolutely no idea what to do. I was playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided (which is a fairly GPU and CPU heavy game) when the game suddenly hard crashed my computer. No problem I thought, so I restarted using reset button on the case. But now whenever I turn on, there is no display despite everything in the case turning on. The GPU (or at least the RGB does), CPU fan, case fans, motherboard RGB lights, and keyboard lights all power on as normal. I noticed that one of the EZ debug LED's is on, the second one up from the main motherboard power connector, which I think indicates a problem with the GPU according to this on MSI's website but I may have misread this. This puzzles me though since the GPU powers on and has shown no problems apart from some early driver problems back in August last year.

These are my specs:

Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT (drivers installed were whatever ones were latest in about February)

Ryzen 5 3600

16GB DDR4 3200MHz

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon

500W Corsair CX500M (This is about 6 years old)

1TB Samsung 970 Evo

I've used this configuration for about 8ish months now, the PSU (and case) was the only key component that was recycled from a previous build since it still worked, bought it in 2014 for my first build. I lived in a different city for uni, but since coming home it's probably been receiving a bit more intense usage over the last month or so for gaming and exams etc.

So far I've tried: Resetting the CMOS battery, installing latest BIOS Version using flash bios button, again resetting CMOS battery, removing ram sticks and trying each one individually, using different display ports and using HDMI port, and removing the GPU altogether to see if there's any difference. Nothing has worked so far.

My main inclination would be to believe that this is a power supply problem. Would I be right in thinking this, or is this actually a problem with the GPU?

Why on earth did you upgrade everything in your PC except for your power supply? 

I'm surprised it even worked in the first place.

The second LED means it can't detect the RAM.  It's the third LED that is for VGA.

Visually inspect the RAM for any damage.

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why on earth did you upgrade everything in your PC except for your power supply? 

I'm surprised it even worked in the first place.

The second LED means it can't detect the RAM.  It's the third LED that is for VGA.

Visually inspect the RAM for any damage.

The power supply still worked, and showed no signs of failing at that point, and hadn't even really received particularly intense usage and a lot of advice I read online said that it wasn't particularly necessary to upgrade if it was a high quality power supply which it was. As well, I've used it consistently for the last 6-8 months with no issues whatsoever.

I've combed over the manual and website, and the LED that shows is for the VGA, i.e the graphics card. There's tiny writing that I didn't see under the LED's that indicates which each one is for. I don't have other means of testing the GPU if it's faulty though

4 minutes ago, steven_thebear said:

The power supply still worked, and showed no signs of failing at that point, and hadn't even really received particularly intense usage and a lot of advice I read online said that it wasn't particularly necessary to upgrade if it was a high quality power supply which it was. As well, I've used it consistently for the last 6-8 months with no issues whatsoever.

I've combed over the manual and website, and the LED that shows is for the VGA, i.e the graphics card. There's tiny writing that I didn't see under the LED's that indicates which each one is for. I don't have other means of testing the GPU if it's faulty though

It was a mediocre PSU when new, and by today's standards very poor.  The new generation CX is completely different than yours.  Maybe people thought you had the more current version.

Power supplies are funny.  They're not a type of "they either work or they don't" type of product.  They can appear to function normally while damaging all of your hardware in the process.

So you don't have your old graphics card to try?

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It was a mediocre PSU when new, and by today's standards very poor.  The new generation CX is completely different than yours.  Maybe people thought you had the more current version.

Power supplies are funny.  They're not a type of "they either work or they don't" type of product.  They can appear to function normally while damaging all of your hardware in the process.

So you don't have your old graphics card to try?

Unfortunately not, I sold my previous one to afford the one I have now. The thing that puzzles me now is that everything powers on as normal, even the RGB on the graphics card. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the exact problem is. I'm wondering if replacing the PSU would fix it?

33 minutes ago, steven_thebear said:

Unfortunately not, I sold my previous one to afford the one I have now. The thing that puzzles me now is that everything powers on as normal, even the RGB on the graphics card. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the exact problem is. I'm wondering if replacing the PSU would fix it?

Since you should replace it anyways, might as well try.

That model of XT is damn good,

Powercolor makes great graphics card,I doubt it's the card issue.

As Jonny stated the only way to find out is to swap the cards.

Crashing in games could be potential issue with drivers and AMD is crappy there,I've seen every kind of problems with their drivers...

Look if you could swap the card with NVidia one...

I'm sure card is not overheating since that model is good enough...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.