Games stuttering / freezing

Hi,

I have an issue with most of the games I try to play. Some of them like F1 2019 run for some time, and then freeze completely. Others like GTA 5 or Far Cry 5 stutter a lot. They run for a few seconds, and then freeze for some time. In some of them I notice missing stuff that should be displayed, like maps in menu, mission checkpoint etc. It doesn't happen to all of games. For example Forza Horizon 4, Dirt Rally 2.0 or iRacing run just fine. 

This happened to me second time. First time about one month ago. I tried drivers updates, reinstalling games, reinstalling Steam/Origin. Nothing helped until fresh Windows install. And now it happened again, making almost all of games unplayable. I thought it might be something with RAM, but memtest86 didn't show any errors. I tried removing memory modules and test how it runs on just one, but it didn't help. Speaking of RAM I cannot get it to advertised speed of 3200 mHz, the only XMP profile that shows is 3000. And when I tried to run it without XMP at 3200 it was unstable, showing blue screens. 

Anyone have any clue on what would be the reason for this issue? I assume hardware failure is not an option when reinstalling windows helped last time.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Windforce OC 6GB

AsRock B450 Pro4

Ballistix Sport LT 3200 8GB x2
beQuiet Sustem Power 9 500W

+ all latest drivers, updated windows and bios

Try updating the bios maybe that will get to you to the advertised speeds but zen + has a terrible imc so maybe that is the problem 

For game stutters checl if temps are fine and maybe try ddu 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I updated the bios already. Still no change. 

I will check temps tomorrow. Ddu - You mean Display Drivers Uninstaller? Should I look for older geforce drivers to replace them with?

9 minutes ago, luk22 said:

Ddu - You mean Display Drivers Uninstaller? Should I look for older geforce drivers to replace them with?

No clean uninstall your existing drivers and install the newest ones again just in case you downloaded a driver over another or something like that 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Clean install of drivers didn't help. 

I checked tems quickly while trying to run Far Cry 5. The game was not loading (when trying new game. Sometimes intro starts, but freezes after few seconds, sometimes doesn't start at all). CPU temps seems to be fine on 55 degrees celsius, but GPU temps rise to 77. When displaying black screen...

1 minute ago, luk22 said:

Clean install of drivers didn't help. 

I checked tems quickly while trying to run Far Cry 5. The game was not loading (when trying new game. Sometimes intro starts, but freezes after few seconds, sometimes doesn't start at all). CPU temps seems to be fine on 55 degrees celsius, but GPU temps rise to 77. When displaying black screen...

Do you have any oc

On either the cpu or GPU ?

Build Log: 

No, the only thing I changed is the fan curvature in aorus software. But I didn't have it when I had that issue first time. 

2 minutes ago, luk22 said:

No, the only thing I changed is the fan curvature in aorus software. But I didn't have it when I had that issue first time. 

How old is the PSU and the mobo ?

Build Log: 

Bought all parts in august last year. 

Can you by any chance either test the PSU in another system or test the system with another PSU 

Build Log: 

Not really, I am abroad, away from my family and friends. Don't have access to spare parts. The only option would be to buy new ones. You think this might be fault of PSU? It's not too weak with 500W, is it?

4 minutes ago, luk22 said:

Not really, I am abroad, away from my family and friends. Don't have access to spare parts. The only option would be to buy new ones. You think this might be fault of PSU? It's not too weak with 500W, is it?

The thing is what be quite PSU ?

They have some really shitty ones and some decent ones 

If it is still under warranty maybe try RMA it 

But before that what exact model is that psu 

Wattage matters but when it is good enough efficiency gets to be an important factor aswell

Build Log: 

System Power 9 500W

This PSU has very mixed opinions on it 

Some people say it's pretty good and others say it's complete dog shit 

Try a stress test like furmark and monitor your temps using hwinfo64 and check if it crashes

Build Log: 

Damn, I tried to stay away from psu-s from the black list. I guess be quiet's status in europe is overrated... 

Ok, how long should it run stable on furmark?

Damn, I tried to stay away from psu-s from the black list. I guess be quiet's status in europe is overrated... 

Ok, how long should it run stable on furmark?

Just run the test 

The test is around the 15 to 30 minute mark and if it crashes at any of these stages I still have a couple of things to identify if it is the PSU 

Build Log: 

Run the test for 30 minutes. Didn't crash, fps was 130 fps average, max temp 79 degrees

9 minutes ago, luk22 said:

Run the test for 30 minutes. Didn't crash, fps was 130 fps average, max temp 79 degrees

Then maybe try playing multiple games and check ;)

Build Log: 

Ok, I'll do that tomorrow. It's getting late here in europe ;D Thanks for help.

Really unusual problem.

I'd swap the graphics card (take one from friend) and look what would happen.

Also what @TofuHaroto mentioned that PSU is not known to me but it doesn't mean it's PSU fault.

Are those games cracked?

Is your RAM QVL with MoBo?

Must be smth with powerdraw of a card,usually you get fps frop or random freezes if the card is not getting enough current.

Try with MSI Kombustor or Unigine Heaven and report back what happened,do you get freezes..

before that check above what I wrote you...

I had same sttutering with my R9 390 yeah it's different GPU but I figured out that my PSU is not good for this card so I swapped the card.

You can monitor input lag with MSI AB.

I'd also buy new video cable if you get same shit with testing programs.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

I don't really have ability to swap parts as I said before. My collegues from work use laptops.

Temps while gaming:

Far Cry 5 - 68 (stutters)

Gta 5 - 63 (Stutters. Also engine sound dissapears and reapears after freez. Then it runs for some time and freezes again.)

F1 2019 - 62 (Seems to run ok this time. Played 30 minutes without any issues)

Dirt Rally 2.0 - 67 - Runs ok

Forza Horizon 4 - 65 - Runs ok

MSI kombustor didn't crash. Temps went up to 78 degrees.

I checked qvl list for AsRoch B450 Pro4, and seems like my module is not on the list... there are only modules rated at 3000 mhz and below. That would explain xmp profile of 3000. Do Ypu think this might be an issue?

3 minutes ago, luk22 said:

I checked qvl list for AsRoch B450 Pro4, and seems like my module is not on the list... there are only modules rated at 3000 mhz and below. That would explain xmp profile of 3000. Do Ypu think this might be an issue?

Mobo manufacturers don't list ever single dimm because they really can't when you think about it 😂 

If it is not crashing then what other problems are you encountering ?

Build Log: 

I didn't notice any other instabilities. Vrowser, photoshop, digital modelling software from autodesk - all runs fine. Games normally run with no problems too. I played all those games before on this pc. Problem occured second time as I said. It's really strange that some games have no issues, and others do. And Yes, all games are on Steam, Uplay or Origin platform. 

I am thinking about installing older version of win 10 on the second drive, installing same games and check if they still stutter. What do You think?

Update:
I installed fresh windows on new ssd. Problems in games disapeared. When I boot the same game from the first drive on previous windows install, stutters still exist. I turned off all updates this time, I am wondering if that will eliminate the problem for good.