Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBradFad

Toss up between 5700xt and 2070 need advice

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Budget (including currency): $600 CAD

Country: Canada

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Red Dead 2, Apex legends

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

So basically here is what my current PC is:

Motherboard: B150M PRO-VD PCI (3rd gen)

RAM: 16GB

CPU: i5 6500 @ 3.20

GPU: GTX 1050ti 

Power supply: 550W

 

Basically I'm wondering if this setup will throttle the AMD Radeon 5700xt considerably? Would I be better off getting the RTX 2070? In the future I plan to upgrade the motherboard to something with PCI (4thGen) and a faster CPU, but I'm not sure when and what to get the best bang for my buck right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheBradFad said:

Budget (including currency): $600 CAD

Country: Canada

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Red Dead 2, Apex legends

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

So basically here is what my current PC is:

Motherboard: B150M PRO-VD PCI (3rd gen)

RAM: 16GB

CPU: i5 6500 @ 3.20

GPU: GTX 1050ti 

Power supply: 550W

 

Basically I'm wondering if this setup will throttle the AMD Radeon 5700xt considerably? Would I be better off getting the RTX 2070? In the future I plan to upgrade the motherboard to something with PCI (4thGen) and a faster CPU, but I'm not sure when and what to get the best bang for my buck right now. 

You will experience a CPU bottleneck - these graphic cards are too strong for your i5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheBradFad said:

Budget (including currency): $600 CAD

Country: Canada

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Red Dead 2, Apex legends

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

So basically here is what my current PC is:

Motherboard: B150M PRO-VD PCI (3rd gen)

RAM: 16GB

CPU: i5 6500 @ 3.20

GPU: GTX 1050ti 

Power supply: 550W

 

Basically I'm wondering if this setup will throttle the AMD Radeon 5700xt considerably? Would I be better off getting the RTX 2070? In the future I plan to upgrade the motherboard to something with PCI (4thGen) and a faster CPU, but I'm not sure when and what to get the best bang for my buck right now. 

RTX 2070... But at the moment your CPU will bottleneck your Graphics Card. You should upgrade your CPU to something like an i5 9600K or 10600K when they are avaliable or a R5 3600 or 3600X.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5700xt is faster than the 2070, it’s competitive with a 2070S.  but it uses more power and doesn’t have some features the 2070 has.  Studio drivers for example can (don’t always) improve color accuracy in photoshop.  The big thing here is the PSU.  A 5700xt generally wants a 600 or 650w PSU.  I don’t know what the PSU requirement for a 2070 is.  You might have to upgrade your PSU no matter which way you go. 
 

If you can run the 2070 without a PSU upgrade that’s $50-100 saved.  If you can get use out of Nvidia studio drivers there’s that too.  Both of those are conditional though.  


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Avocheeseado said:

RTX 2070... But at the moment your CPU will bottleneck your Graphics Card. You should upgrade your CPU to something like an i5 9600K or 10600K when they are avaliable or a R5 3600 or 3600X.

Bottleneck is app dependent.  Would be true for some apps but not others. More cpu and more gpu means more power total though.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 7:55 PM, TheBradFad said:

Budget (including currency): $600 CAD

Country: Canada

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Red Dead 2, Apex legends

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

So basically here is what my current PC is:

Motherboard: B150M PRO-VD PCI (3rd gen)

RAM: 16GB

CPU: i5 6500 @ 3.20

GPU: GTX 1050ti 

Power supply: 550W

 

Basically I'm wondering if this setup will throttle the AMD Radeon 5700xt considerably? Would I be better off getting the RTX 2070? In the future I plan to upgrade the motherboard to something with PCI (4thGen) and a faster CPU, but I'm not sure when and what to get the best bang for my buck right now. 

new psu as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Avocheeseado said:

new psu as well

How do you know he needs a new psu, when there is no model stated ? The wattage is absolutely fine. So unless you know something I don't then there is no way you can suggest a new psu.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

How do you know he needs a new psu, when there is no model stated ? The wattage is absolutely fine. So unless you know something I don't then there is no way you can suggest a new psu.

It’s a big question.  We need to know the model, how old it is, and if a 2070 can run on it to start with. If it’s old or shit or the 2070 can’t run it’s got to be replaced anyway at which point the additional $50-100 for a new PSU gets added to the cost of both the 2070 and the 5700xt.  


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 9:57 PM, lee32uk said:

How do you know he needs a new psu, when there is no model stated ? The wattage is absolutely fine. So unless you know something I don't then there is no way you can suggest a new psu.

Its fine for now but a 5700xt and an i5 10600k draws quite a bit of power

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Avocheeseado said:

Its fine for now but a 5700xt and an i5 10600k draws quite a bit of power

and where did OP say anything about buying a 10600k?


Remember to QUOTE (Arrow in the bottom left of the post) or TAG (@gloop) for me to see your reply

 

Helpful Links: Community Standards PSU Tier List 4.0 / AMD Motherboard Tier List

 

Nebula - 2020 Build

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz - CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism - Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16) @ 2933Mhz CL16 - Storage: Crucial MX500 M.2 Sata SSD (2TB 2.5inch SSD COMING SOON) - GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700XT Gaming OC Undervolted w/ Custom Fan Curve - PSU: Corsair RM550x - Case: NZXT H510 Matte Black - Case Fans: 2x NZXT F12 (1x Front Intake / 1x Back Exhaust) - Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Membrane Keyboard (UPGRADE PENDING) - Mouse: Logitech Wireless Mouse (UPGRADE PENDING) - Mousepad: HyperX FuryS XL - Displays: 2x Acer KG281K (4K, 60HZ, TN) - Headset: Sony Platinum Wireless Headset - Mic: Inbuilt Headset Mic (UPGRADE PENDING) - Consoles: PS4 Pro Jet Black (CUH-7115B) - Phone: iPhone X Space Grey (256GB) - Watch: Apple Watch Series 2 (42mm) - Earphones: Airpods Pros

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, lee32uk said:

How do you know he needs a new psu, when there is no model stated ? The wattage is absolutely fine. So unless you know something I don't then there is no way you can suggest a new psu.

Standards.   Without exact data falling back in general standards is needed. Suggested PSU for 5700xt is 650w. It’s probably usually ok much and getting away with less is likely possible, it’s still pretty high though.  A 5700xt will commonly draw over two hundred watts and even a low power unclocked cpu rig will draw 300-400 before the gpu is factored in.  It might be less perhaps.  Do the math and it might be cut closer. It’s still probably too much though.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Avocheeseado said:

Its fine for now but a 5700xt and an i5 10600k draws quite a bit of power

The op has an i5 6500.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Standards.   Without exact data falling back in general standards is needed. Suggested PSU for 5700xt is 650w. It’s probably usually ok much and getting away with less is likely possible, it’s still pretty high though.  A 5700xt will commonly draw over two hundred watts and even a low power unclocked cpu rig will draw 300-400 before the gpu is factored in.  It might be less perhaps.  Do the math and it might be cut closer. It’s still probably too much though.

A 5700XT and i5 6500 isn't getting anywhere near 550W power consumption.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

A 5700XT and i5 6500 isn't getting anywhere near 550W power consumption.

Very possible.  Like I said, the math will cut it closer.  i5 6500 is listed as a 65w chip.  Call it 70+ minimum 75w for the board, call it 85, peripherals and fans come out of motherboard power unless they don’t.  So 140-155+200-250(?) is 340-410.  So a 450w PSU would be working hard at idle but might not pop.  Cutting it close though.  The problem is if it is cut too close PSUs pop and parts are destroyed.

 

there might work and there’s will work.  A 400w PSU might work.  So go 550-600.  Most power favorable case it will be right in the efficiency sweet spot.  Most power unfavorable case it will still be fine.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Very possible.  Like I said, the math will cut it closer.  i5 6500 is listed as a 65w chip.  Call it 70+ minimum 75w for the board, call it 85, peripherals and fans come out of motherboard power unless they don’t.  So 140-155+200-250(?) is 340-410.  So a 450w PSU would be working hard at idle but might not pop.  Cutting it close though.  The problem is if it is cut too close PSUs pop and parts are destroyed.

 

there might work and there’s will work.  A 400w PSU might work.  So go 550-600.  Most power favorable case it will be right in the efficiency sweet spot.  Most power unfavorable case it will still be fine.

What ?

 

Even if you hit 250W with the 5700XT and 100W with the i5 6500 you would still have 200W in reserve. Nothing else in the system is using that amount. Things like case fans sip power, and peripherals the same. A HDD/SSD isn't using much either. So you are not cutting it close at all. Nowhere near.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

What ?

 

Even if you hit 250W with the 5700XT and 100W with the i5 6500 you would still have 200W in reserve. Nothing else in the system is using that amount. Things like case fans sip power, and peripherals the same. A HDD/SSD isn't using much either. So you are not cutting it close at all. Nowhere near.

I wasn’t the one that came up with 650 watt.  AMD was.  I was using a lower number.  Also the 100% thing is the point something pops at and when the PSU is running at 100%. It’s still arguably not a bad one to measure by if you’re buying PSUs.  The issue was whether a NEW PSU had to be bought.  I think it’s edgy enough considering the size of the PSU the OP has to make it probably a good idea.  I still think so.  PSUs lose power as they age, and his isnt new.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I wasn’t the one that came up with 650 watt.  AMD was.  I was using a lower number.  Also the 100% thing is the point something pops at and when the PSU is running at 100%. It’s still arguably not a bad one to measure by if you’re buying PSUs.  The issue was whether a NEW PSU had to be bought.  I think it’s edgy enough considering the size of the PSU the OP has to make it probably a good idea.  I still think so.  PSUs lose power as they age, and his isnt new.

The psu won't be running at 100% though with that spec, so not sure what your point is. You will be lucky to hit 300W when gaming.

 

We don't know what the psu is, or how old it is, so there is no point in speculating. 


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

The psu won't be running at 100% though with that spec, so not sure what your point is. You will be lucky to hit 300W when gaming.

 

We don't know what the psu is, or how old it is, so there is no point in speculating. 

No but its better to be safe than sorry a 550w is fine but if he wants to upgrade to something even more (like a 10700k and 2080) then he will need a better psu

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Avocheeseado said:

No but its better to be safe than sorry a 550w is fine but if he wants to upgrade to something even more (like a 10700k and 2080) then he will need a better psu

But he isn't upgrading to a 10700K and 2080 is he ? so he doesn't need more than a 550W unit. If we ever find out what the psu is then we can make an informed judgement. 


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lee32uk said:

But he isn't upgrading to a 10700K and 2080 is he ? so he doesn't need more than a 550W unit. If we ever find out what the psu is then we can make an informed judgement. 

I know yes

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

The psu won't be running at 100% though with that spec, so not sure what your point is. You will be lucky to hit 300W when gaming.

 

We don't know what the psu is, or how old it is, so there is no point in speculating. 

Iirc 3 were mentioned all were small and older.  Might be wrong I haven’t gone back and checked and this thread is old.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Iirc 3 were mentioned all were small and older.  Might be wrong I haven’t gone back and checked and this thread is old.

No idea what you are talking about. 


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×