Can i use my laptop as a display and keyboard for my desktop?

I was wondering if there was any way to use my laptop like it was my desktop with no display on my desktop, they would literally be right next to eachother, but my only monitor is super color inaccurate and ym laptop just has a much better display in general, Also I had an idea of maybe making a small form factor computer and carrying it with my desktop and using that setup on the go. It would be really cool if i could just plug in my desktop into the wall and be able to just transfer over to it with my laptop and be able to video edit, and maybe play a game or two (probably in vr) if that makes a difference. Thank you!

My laptop has a thunderbolt 3 port if that would be useful. 

As far as I know the video ports on the laptop are output only, so you would be connecting output to output and it would'nt work.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

4 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I was wondering if there was any way to use my laptop like it was my desktop with no display on my desktop, they would literally be right next to eachother, but my only monitor is super color inaccurate and ym laptop just has a much better display in general, Also I had an idea of maybe making a small form factor computer and carrying it with my desktop and using that setup on the go. It would be really cool if i could just plug in my desktop into the wall and be able to just transfer over to it with my laptop and be able to video edit, and maybe play a game or two (probably in vr) if that makes a difference. Thank you!

My laptop has a thunderbolt 3 port if that would be useful. 

Laptops don't have display inputs, only outputs. You cannot use the laptop as a secondary/external display for another machine.

As far as the work share between two machines... Are you talking about file sharing or using them both as if they are one? File sharing can be done. Using them both as if they are one machine cannot (at least not easily that I'm aware of).

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Use remote desktop on your laptop

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

Laptops don't have display inputs, only outputs. You cannot use the laptop as a secondary/external display for another machine.

As far as the work share between two machines... Are you talking about file sharing or using them both as if they are one? File sharing can be done. Using them both as if they are one machine cannot (at least not easily that I'm aware of).

3 minutes ago, LordWk said:

As far as I know the video ports on the laptop are output only, so you would be connecting output to output and it would'nt work.

sorry yeah i didnt know if the thunderbolt thing would happen it was just a shot in the dark.

The main thing im interested in is something like team viewer, but with less latency so i could remotlly run davinci resolve off of the other computer. I remember linus doing a video on soemthing liek that but i can't remember. The main thing is i would need something that autoboots like teamviewer on launch because i want to not have to use a monitor at all after initially setting it up. 

I don't really need file transfer or anything, it can literally just be a window that i can make fullscreen and interact with the other computer with minimal latency. and the latency doesn't have to be zero, just fast enough that i could do something like video editing, or casualy games like minecraft. Any games that i would do that would require littel latency are in vr and i would plug that directly into the desktops gpu anyway

sorry for not clarifying!

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Use remote desktop on your laptop

there are a lot of remote desktop applications. I use teamviewer all the time but it isn't really fast enough to video edit, or game at all using it

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

sorry yeah i didnt know if the thunderbolt thing would happen it was just a shot in the dark.

The main thing im interested in is something like team viewer, but with less latency so i could remotlly run davinci resolve off of the other computer. I remember linus doing a video on soemthing liek that but i can't remember. The main thing is i would need something that autoboots like teamviewer on launch because i want to not have to use a monitor at all after initially setting it up. 

I don't really need file transfer or anything, it can literally just be a window that i can make fullscreen and interact with the other computer with minimal latency. and the latency doesn't have to be zero, just fast enough that i could do something like video editing, or casualy games like minecraft. Any games that i would do that would require littel latency are in vr and i would plug that directly into the desktops gpu anyway

sorry for not clarifying!

I see what you're trying to do now.

IMO it seems silly to put up with any remote desktop solution if you're literally sitting next to the other machine. Why not just hook a monitor up to it and run locally on the desktop? If the monitor you have now is truly that bad I guess, but the added latency of a remote application, especially for gaming, can't be a better experience.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

4 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

there are a lot of remote desktop applications. I use teamviewer all the time but it isn't really fast enough to video edit, or game at all using it

It's basically your only option besides hacking up your laptop and adding an aftermarket controller to your display panel to have video input, and then you still have to figure out how to use the keyboard on it.

Remote desktop is your only realistic option.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

12 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

If you are just doing some video/photo editing, a bit of delay cant be that harmfull. I tried with the Chrome Remote Desktop and did a good job for me. But for gaming the delays would be worse than the lack of colour accuracy of your monitor.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

7 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

I see what you're trying to do now.

IMO it seems silly to put up with any remote desktop solution if you're literally sitting next to the other machine. Why not just hook a monitor up to it and run locally on the desktop? If the monitor you have now is truly that bad I guess, but the added latency of a remote application, especially for gaming, can't be a better experience.

it's so i could move it. the idea is i would build a small form factor computer and then be able to just use my small laptop to access it instead of having to carry around a keyboard, monitor and mouse. Also an idea i did have was using my laptop to stream while my desktop runs the game since both computers arent the most powerful on their own. sorry i know this is weird

22 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

the build in remote desktop will do the job. with a fast lan connection i'm sure delays are minimal.

Don't want to remote? use a usb hdmi capture card.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

it's so i could move it. the idea is i would build a small form factor computer and then be able to just use my small laptop to access it instead of having to carry around a keyboard, monitor and mouse. Also an idea i did have was using my laptop to stream while my desktop runs the game since both computers arent the most powerful on their own. sorry i know this is weird

If you are planning to move it that much wouldn't a mobile solution be better from the start? Something like a decently powerful laptop. Not sure budget you'd plan for the SFF build, but that seems like a less elegant solution that just getting a proper mobile device.

I've used Chrome Remote Desktop with good success. Can't comment on other solutions.

6 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

the build in remote desktop will do the job. with a fast lan connection i'm sure delays are minimal.

Don't want to remote? use a usb hdmi capture card.

tbh ive never tried it! i didn't know that was a thing xD thank you, ill give it a go!

5 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

If you are planning to move it that much wouldn't a mobile solution be better from the start? Something like a decently powerful laptop. Not sure budget you'd plan for the SFF build, but that seems like a less elegant solution that just getting a proper mobile device.

I've used Chrome Remote Desktop with good success. Can't comment on other solutions.

I already have several components already which is why i thought of it. Ill give it a go. Thank you!!!

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Yeah just enable remote desktop on the PC.

On the laptop search remote desktop connection, set the IP address for the pc and click connect.

35 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yeah just enable remote desktop on the PC.

On the laptop search remote desktop connection, set the IP address for the pc and click connect.

Does remote desktop stay on when you reboot? Like if I unplugged that computer and plugged it back in, would I still be able to connect to it from another computer. I'm so sorry for all the questions. Sorry

no ofcourse, it will be disconnected. just reconnect.