Should I start an IRA Roth

spartaman64

I'm 21 years old and my salary is about 30k a year. I have most of my savings in stocks. I like the tax free nature of it but I sort of want to retire early rather than until I'm 60. And I'm worried about when I run into an emergency like a medical issue and there is a 10% early withdraw penalty. Should I start an IRA Roth or should I continue to invest independent of it.

Yes, you absolutely should.  You said you were worried about an early withdrawal penalty.  This doesn't apply to Roth IRA as long as the withdrawal does not include earnings.  You can withdraw contributions at any time...tax free and penalty free.

11 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I'm 21 years old and my salary is about 30k a year. I have most of my savings in stocks. I like the tax free nature of it but I sort of want to retire early rather than until I'm 60. And I'm worried about when I run into an emergency like a medical issue and there is a 10% early withdraw penalty. Should I start an IRA Roth or should I continue to invest independent of it.

It's not tax-free, rather, you pay the taxes up front when the money is contributed. You are not taxed on growth or when you take money out. If you end up in a lower tax bracket when you retire compared to where you are now Roth may not be an advantage. Something to think about and determine if Roth vs. traditional is the better choice. I went Roth myself for and IRA.

If your employer has any company-sponsored matching programs make sure to maximize those first since it's free money.

Regardless, if you can afford to put the additional savings away for retirement then by all means go for it!

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

28 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

100% start a Roth account as soon as possible. 

Just don’t put ALL of your investments into the Roth account. Keep investing some money into a non-retirement account for medium to long term usages that might come up before you retire. 

Also, if you don’t already, look into getting health insurance. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i was thinking about the other IRA and that made me mildly worrying

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!