Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Armand_Karlsen

Motherboard/CPU combos for low-power NAS

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm thinking of putting a small, low-power NAS together for home use, and so far I've been looking at ITX boards with integrated CPUs somewhere in the 10W TDP range (give or take). Would I get anywhere near that if I used a conventional socketed CPU and undervolted and/or underclocked it; would it be worth it in terms of performance?

Do you really care about tdp or power consumption?

Since a nas spends most of its time at idle, a desktop chip will pull very little power, as its running at idle with basically no usage. Underclocking won't help as its already downclocked at idle and c states turn the core off at idle aswell.

Performance wise, what do you need? For a gigabit home nas, cpu performance really don't matter, your basically always network limited.

Do you have a budget?

Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you really care about tdp or power consumption?

Since a nas spends most of its time at idle, a desktop chip will pull very little power, as its running at idle with basically no usage. Underclocking won't help as its already downclocked at idle and c states turn the core off at idle aswell.

Performance wise, what do you need? For a gigabit home nas, cpu performance really don't matter, your basically always network limited.

Do you have a budget?

It will be home NAS, so gigabit wired, or not-crazy wifi. Budget including drives £500-600 GBP max, or then I might as well just look for a Synology box. The reason I was looking at power consumption is that I want to minimise the power bill.

2 hours ago, Armand_Karlsen said:

It will be home NAS, so gigabit wired, or not-crazy wifi. Budget including drives £500-600 GBP max, or then I might as well just look for a Synology box. The reason I was looking at power consumption is that I want to minimise the power bill.

Id be tempted to go with a synology if you want something that is low power and simple to use.

For diy, probably just get a j1900 celeron board or simmilar.