You’re Still Gonna Buy Intel… - Core i9 10900K & i5 10600K Review

Intel’s back with the 10th-gen Core lineup, and they’re still on 14nm. Are the new chips fire, or are they like fire – too hot?

Buy a Core i9 10900K:
On Amazon (PAID LINK): TBD
On Newegg (PAID LINK): TBD
On B&H (PAID LINK): TBD

Buy a Core i5 10600K:

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Without watching the review I can say that it will definitely be a good replacement for a broken space heater.

Very impressive, might consider Intel as my next platform. They did a good job and didn't go nuts with the pricing.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Intel might be back in game 

Those are really compelling options 

Especially that i5 ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

17 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Intel’s back with the 10th-gen Core lineup, and they’re still on 14nm. Are the new chips fire, or are they like fire – too hot?

Buy a Core i9 10900K:

Buy a Core i5 10600K:

wow i'm surprised.

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

Glad to see that what they were saying about the improved thermals in their presentations didn't turn out to be BS, though power consumption, as expected, is quite a bummer.

Looks like Intel still definitely holds the crown for high refresh rate gaming, particularly that 10600K looks like a great option, but it remains to be seen how Zen 3 will fare in this department when that comes out (most likely) later this year.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

14nm.png.3519533ada87d56a72dfb69286082ecd.png

This meme was made by a 14nm Zen 1 user :^)

These are some pretty impressive numbers, but it does feel - as Linus mentioned - incremental and less like a full new gen.

Great to see more cores on the 10900K of course

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

These are some pretty impressive numbers, but it does feel - as Linus mentioned - incremental and less like a full new gen.

I would say at this point the only "negative" this about this platform is power consumption but other than that it is awesome

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

As much as I prefer Intel CPU's, I'm not buying another until they get off the 14nm platform, because they can engineer around it all they want, but the power requirements still make it too much of a joke. Like Intel, either admit/abandon 10nm and do 5nm to get ahead of the game, or just license whatever TSMC is using for 7nm and get on with the show. If Intel is still on 14nm in 2021 (which apparently, they will be) when TSMC comes out with 5nm, that's nearly a 3x increase in density. 

Businesses are also seeing no value in updating their Skylake machines, which are now running out of warranty this year.

As I tought, the i5-10600K(F) looks quite interesting for gaming-oriented systems.

The fact that the CPUs itself do not support PCIe 4.0 it's a bit of a drawback in my opinion, especially if this revision will be required by new GPUs.

With the Z490 chipset you get an upgrade path for the new generation but you will still need to upgrade the CPU to benefit from PCIe 4.0.

At the beginning of the video you showed the thermal results, it is possible to know with which solution was the system cooled?

Just now, Mamonos said:

The fact that the CPUs itself do not support PCIe 4.0 it's a bit of a drawback in my opinion, especially if this revision will be required by new GPUs.

With the Z490 chipset you get an upgrade path for the new generation but you will still need to upgrade the CPU to benefit from PCIe 4.0.

It's going to be a while until graphics cards start getting bottlenecked by the bandwidth a 16x 3.0 slot can provide, and 4.0 SSDs really don't offer much of any real-world performance improvement. In my opinion at least it's really a non-issue.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

It's going to be a while until graphics cards start getting bottlenecked by the bandwidth a 16x 3.0 slot can provide, and 4.0 SSDs really don't offer much of any real-world performance improvement. In my opinion at least it's really a non-issue.

I completely agree with this 

Pcie 4.0 will not be utilized for a couple of years and at this level pcie 4.0 is just something that amd can flex with but has no meaning

Build Log: 

12 minutes ago, Mamonos said:

At the beginning of the video you showed the thermal results, it is possible to know with which solution was the system cooled?

this. as much as I like the shorter videos they do for these (as opposed to jay, paul, kyle) this is infuriating, don't talk about how great thermal performance without showing what you used and how it differed from the 9th gen stuff and even the ryzen stuff, crazy that they would exclude that information

Edit: same thing with power draw, show me what the others are doing too, compare things if you are going to compare

Not gonna happen. A new socket for a bit of more FPS. No thx. 3 Generations on one socket would be a reason. For average people AMD is still the better choice. Most people out there are gonna get enough performance for gaming with a R3 3300X. And if you have a B450/X470/X570 you can upgrade that later. And the tables are turning, the times that everyone and their grandma mindlessly said "you need Intel for gaming" are over. The "You might not like it, but it works" part seems a bit desperate tbh.  

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I have to wonder where this misinformation comes from. There are games that clearly can saturate a 16x 3.0 device, just they need to be running 4K on most existing games to near it, which not a lot of people are doing, and only a few games even have 4K texture packages. 

u1bu8HU67jnHWM3x.jpg

So NVMe drives are only 4 lanes max. so divide every number in the bandwidth column by 4. GPU's are 16 lane. There's a very logical connection to make here. If the SSD doesn't have as many lanes as the GPU, then it's obviously going to be bottlenecked if it's loading uncompressed data. 500GB SSD's NVMe 4 lane drives right now do 2GB/sec without even blinking. These are what's in most laptops right now. They will bottleneck at 8GB/sec, which means at PCIe 3.0 speeds, SSD's larger than 2TB will be bottlenecked, as they scale with capacity. A 4TB drive will be the maximum on PCIe4.

Sure, most games out there aren't benefiting from having more than 8 lanes, but most games out there are designed to run on a PS4 or Xbox One, which neither run naively at 4K either.

I don't see why it was necessary to use the volume pricing for Intel as a comparison, when not done the same for AMD. Not takig sides here, but that's pretty shady and not being honest on the true price of the CPUs. The retail for the Intel is about $100 more than you claim in the video. Using tricks to try and pull one over on people so the prices seem to be more inline with each other is dishonest and quite annoying.

Maybe I'm wrong? Feel free to correct me.

Shouldn't we wait for intel's 11th gen ? I heard they will be using 10nm fabrication. I'm pretty much done with intel 14nm++++++++++ i guess.

8 minutes ago, MrSparkles69 said:

Shouldn't we wait for intel's 11th gen ? I heard they will be using 10nm fabrication. I'm pretty much done with intel 14nm++++++++++ i guess.

they won't, they will keep using 14nm but with a totally new architecture.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

-oof-

Edited by Void Master
double post

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

1 hour ago, Quadrum said:

Without watching the review I can say that it will definitely be a good replacement for a broken space heater.

maybe you should have watched the video, literally the first 2 minutes shows the temps

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Will there be benchmarks for new intel CPU? Or is that it?

35 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I have to wonder where this misinformation comes from. There are games that clearly can saturate a 16x 3.0 device, just they need to be running 4K on most existing games to near it, which not a lot of people are doing, and only a few games even have 4K texture packages. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-pci-express-scaling/

With a 2080Ti, the difference between 8x 3.0 and 16x 3.0 is maybe ~5FPS tops, sometimes even within margin of error, and that's even at 4K. And that's the fastest consumer-grade current-gen GPU.

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

maybe you should have watched the video, literally the first 2 minutes shows the temps

Who knows what kind of monstrosity they got for cooling that chip down. Not disclosing the cooler is a bad move by ltt.

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

With no mention of what cooling was used.

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

But with these 10th gen cpu's you're still paying more for a board with a feature you can't use, add in several NVME SSD's and pci-e 3.0 will be a limitation.