I7 9700k for $30?

I have recently been looking at the used market, and suddenly a bunch of used intel i7 9700k have been put for sale for $30. Im not one to believe those things which are too good to be true, but on ebay if the item you bought doesnt arrive, you can get it refunded and the person wont get the money, so why would they try to scam it like that? Does anyone know anything about it?

If you have to ask if it's a scam..... Probably is. 

There's small details in listing and such that can allow people to scam through eBay. They may go and say payment failed and try to get you to pay through card or something similar.

They are either broken parts or it's a scam, no way someone is legitimately selling an i7-9700k that's working for $30, if you can link the listing we'd be able to tell you for sure. And you only get refunded if they offer buyer protection, some listings the seller has to approve the refund and if they're scamming you they likely won't.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

7 minutes ago, Rodrigo fumagalli said:

I but on ebay if the item you bought doesnt arrive, you can get it refunded and the person wont get the money, so why would they try to scam it like that? Does anyone know anything about it?

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

It's a scam. And eBay doesn't have to refund the buyer if the seller doesn't accept a refund for that listing.

eBay with cover products sold with "eBay's buyer protection". Don't know if it's still the case after the split, but it used to be all products paid for with PayPal, plus some other cases. It is in PayPal's case that they don't get access to the money for a while after the transaction, so if eBay sides with you they never get to run away with it.

Hence, you have to check if the buyer's protection program is active for those listings, and which methods of payment they take. If there's no buyer protection stated, and the payment method is something like a bank transfer, you are never getting your money bank. And if it's credit cards, you will have to attempt the chargeback with them, and they may still get the money (the insurance will be scammed in that case).

I rolled the dice on a GPU I was pretty sure was a scam and eBay is not being as helpful now as they have been in the past (when they owned PayPal).  eBay now just tells you to talk to PayPal and PayPal will make you wait like 3 weeks to get your money back.  They try to contact the seller and do whatever nonsense they do and I say nonsense because eBay already removed the listing and deemed it was a hijacked account.  

The real crappy thing is that eBay realized that the seller was overseas by their PayPal account and wouldn't process the transaction themselves and forced the use of PayPal, but eBay didn't warn me that what is listed on eBay as a US based seller has an overseas PayPal account.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I imagine account hijackers are taking advantage of the reduced staffing at both eBay and PayPal.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well if ebay and paypal won't back then tell your card provider or bank for a charge back which is easy since you have proof of fraud.

Well that wasn't the moral of the story.  But that is good to know if someone doesn't get satisfaction through eBay or PayPal.  I was already aware of my recourse though.  

The moral of the story is that eBay's old excellent buyer protections are no longer as excellent.  

Thanks for the help guys. So in the future, how would you recommend buying things online. What can I check and which websites are preferred (mainly UK if possible)

4 minutes ago, Rodrigo fumagalli said:

Thanks for the help guys. So in the future, how would you recommend buying things online. What can I check and which websites are preferred (mainly UK if possible)

If you wanna roll the dice on a likely scam (like I did) you have to do it with your eyes open.  Very rarely someone sells something super cheap on eBay for whatever reason.  Most of the time those listings are a scam though.  

If you're actually shopping then be reasonable.  There are good prices on eBay and then there are too good to be true prices.  If you wanna snag good deals and are patient enough then look at auctions ending soonest and try to sneak in a low bid, if the price is still low, right before the auction ends.  

Im so tempted......

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Im so tempted......

Doooooo iiiiiiiiiit.

considering the link doesn't work anymore, good chance its a scam, which it definitely is. unless its 30$ because the 9700k was in the microwave for an hour.

• 1 month later...

It`s a scam believe me. Wait for 2-3 weeks and if seller is still active than buy it. But I guess it will be blocked till now.
Last year I bought one item via ebay like this and get scammed. I learned in a hard way. Now I`m a way experienced: first I go to amazon reviews sites, look for reviews and after that buy from Amazon only. The last item that I purchased was Cooler For i7 9700k and get it for 4 days.