Find results in...
Tedny

AMD listened.. again? Zen 3 support on B450/X470

Posted · Original PosterOP

der8auer got e-mail from AMD 

With Zen 3 bios you losing some support for old CPU's 

Zen 3 bios not on release

AMD  statement

1. We will develop and enable our motherboard partners with the code to support “Zen 3”-based processors in select beta BIOSes for AMD B450 and X470 motherboards.
  2. These optional BIOS updates will disable support for many existing AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor models to make the necessary ROM space available.
  3. The select beta BIOSes will enable a one-way upgrade path for AMD Ryzen Processors with “Zen 3,” coming later this year. Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported.
  4. To reduce the potential for confusion, our intent is to offer BIOS download only to verified customers of 400 Series motherboards who have purchased a new desktop processor with “Zen 3” inside. This will help us ensure that customers have a bootable processor on-hand after the BIOS flash, minimizing the risk a user could get caught in a no-boot situation.
  5. Timing and availability of the BIOS updates will vary and may not immediately coincide with the availability of the first “Zen 3”-based processors.
  6. This is the final pathway AMD can enable for 400 Series motherboards to add new CPU support. CPU releases beyond “Zen 3” will require a newer motherboard.
  7. AMD continues to recommend that customers choose an AMD 500 Series motherboard for the best performance and features with our new CPUs.

der8auer

Hardware unbox

Anandtech source

Now people cant complain anymore. that is great news for all people with b450 and x470 board users

|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.

Read this: 

Posted (edited)

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-reverses-course-will-enable-zen-3-support-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards

https://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/142726-amd-decided-change-course-zen-3-b450x470-support/?set_mobile_full_site_cookie=1

To be honest I was kind of expecting this to happen, and thankfully it really did, as launching B550 this late as the only budget-friendly option to support future CPUs was kind of odd considering AMD's track record with AM4.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of sacrifices in terms of older CPU support or BIOS UI the manufacturers must resort to to make this happen, and I'm also curious how many B450/X470 boards will allow full support for Zen 3, as I'd personally expect the lowest-end boards (e.g. Asrock's B450 HDV) to not offer compatibility for the new chips or at least not too soon, but someone who purchased something like a B450 Mortar for example, which is capable of running even a 12-core, will surely be quite excited about this news.

Edit: oopsie, someone was a couple of minutes quicker than me on posting the news haha.

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K (w/ TG Hydronaut) | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz CL15 | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | WD Green 2TB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra (w/ TG Hydronaut @ 0.95V) | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Laptop:  Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2018 - i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD

via: der8auer and Anandtech

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15807/amd-to-support-zen-3-and-ryzen-4000-cpus-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards

AMD: (plaintext via Anandtech)

1. We will develop and enable our motherboard partners with the code to support “Zen 3”-based processors in select beta BIOSes for AMD B450 and X470 motherboards.
  2. These optional BIOS updates will disable support for many existing AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor models to make the necessary ROM space available.
  3. The select beta BIOSes will enable a one-way upgrade path for AMD Ryzen Processors with “Zen 3,” coming later this year. Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported.
  4. To reduce the potential for confusion, our intent is to offer BIOS download only to verified customers of 400 Series motherboards who have purchased a new desktop processor with “Zen 3” inside. This will help us ensure that customers have a bootable processor on-hand after the BIOS flash, minimizing the risk a user could get caught in a no-boot situation.
  5. Timing and availability of the BIOS updates will vary and may not immediately coincide with the availability of the first “Zen 3”-based processors.
  6. This is the final pathway AMD can enable for 400 Series motherboards to add new CPU support. CPU releases beyond “Zen 3” will require a newer motherboard.
  7. AMD continues to recommend that customers choose an AMD 500 Series motherboard for the best performance and features with our new CPUs.

well they caved. if it wasn't for their PR crusade, AMD would have been fit for commiserations with the limited BIOS capacity design they inadvertently stuck with (see GN's video for technical production reasoning)

keep in mind this is A ONE-WAY UPGRADE, so flashing the new BIOS would prevent downgrading to an older version with the required support for initial CPUs

which begs the question: how would secondhand listings play out in the future? o_o

OP EDIT: i may have jumped to conclusions;

there might be a bigger possibility of downgrading the BIOS when dealing with boards that support BIOS flashback

(the thing where an active CPU isn't required to flash said capable motherboard)

so at least there's that ,_,

EDIT: as many have pointed out: #4 sounded pretty weird, since it has been tradition that motherboard vendors themselves distribute the BIOSes themselves, so it's not clear how would AMD take firsthand ownership of distributing directly to customers who are technically once removed by way of said motherboard vendors o_o

why block downgrading though 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

no idea, although i'm not sure how many boards actually enforce the strict upwards versioning? o_o (i mean i've downgraded BIOSes before to troubleshoot)

first time i've actually seen Der8auer's face.

Holy shit AMD is in super damage control. Good that consumers held them accountable for the things they say, but don't give them a free pass for doing something that (according to AMD themselves) should have been done in the first place.

Judge the product by it's own merits, not by the Company that created it.

nope you were first 655042292004159494.png?v=1 don't do anything to your thread

EDIT: the technical production explanation for AMD's decisions throughout this mess

EDITx1.1: Dr Wafer Eater analyses and explain this news update

EDITx2: oh dammit there was ONE MORE 5 minutes prior, ACK

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

From their language, it more seems like whatever things this BIOS update is doing are not easily reversible due to the technical differences between the Zen arches.

Not a block because they want you to upgrade but a block because physically they can't support everything properly with that chipset.

Maybe?

Why only blame AMD when board makers are to be blamed as well? They'll do everything to save a buck on any kind of board and sticking undersized BIOS/UEFI chips on them is one of them. They could use larger ones and spend 1 more dollar on each board and even if they charged freaking 5 dollars extra for it to us end users, would anyone seriously noticed it?

Wow, didnt see that one coming.

Pretty awesome, as this means I could potentially get a Zen 3 CPU on my B450 ITX board. Although I would be looking at what type of power consumption it has first...

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

Wow, didnt see that one coming.

Pretty awesome, as this means I could potentially get a Zen 3 CPU on my B450 ITX board. Although I would be looking at what type of power consumption it has first...

The BETA Zen 3 bios for x470 and b450 will remove some Zen 2 and Zen1+ cpu off compatibility and support and no downgrade bios at all if you don't like Zen 3. This is really bad for people upgrade to something like used zen 2 cpu and used b450/x470 board in the future.

12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Why only blame AMD when board makers are to be blamed as well? They'll do everything to save a buck on any kind of board and sticking undersized BIOS/UEFI chips on them is one of them. They could use larger ones and spend 1 more dollar on each board and even if they charged freaking 5 dollars extra for it to us end users, would anyone seriously noticed it?

GamersNexus went over it, it's because the 32MB BIOS chips aren't as easy for board makers to buy as the much more common 16MB BIOS chips.

That's neat. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

GamersNexus went over it, it's because the 32MB BIOS chips aren't as easy for board makers to buy as the much more common 16MB BIOS chips.

My board has 32MB bios chips. I hope ASUS not going to drop the ball and remove some Zen 2 and Zen1+ cpu off the compatibility and support on Zen 3 BETA Bios for x470/b450.

Awesome move really. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

"Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported."

I'm sorry but what stops someone from simply using an EEPROM programmer and just flashing the EEPROM themselves to downgrade if they wanted to?

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo                    RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mouse: Lenovo Legion M500 Keyboard: IBM XT Model F

2 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

"Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported."

I'm sorry but what stops someone from simply using an EEPROM programmer and just flashing the EEPROM themselves to downgrade if they wanted to?

probably a disclaimer of service, just in case people encounter issues with the intent of downgrading their boards? 🤷‍♂️

As the team weighted your feedback against the technical challenges we face, we decided to change course. As a result, we will enable an upgrade path for B450 and x470 customers that adds support for next gen AMD Ryzen Processors with the "zen 3" architecture.

So, its looking like AMD had enough of our shit on them because of lack of compatibility for their future AM4 cpus on existing motherboards. They will allow 1 way bios flash for future chips. Once done, it can't be undone, and will erase a lot of earlier gens of cpus from support. AMD will made a special security steps, to make sure people with 3k ryzen or earlier won't update their bios without cpu upgrade in mind and brick their motherboards.

This might be mess, but they at least gave us a chance to get zen 3 on b450 and x470 motherboards which is great. I hope it will work at least decent, to have more succesful than failed transitions from zen 2 to zen 3 on these 2 motherboards

Should have stuck with Intel for the longer socket support.

Not forcing consumers to buy new mobos is pure greed on AMD's part

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

This is great news. Hope AMD really learned from this. It shows that they still listen to their consumers even though we aren't their biggest bread winners anymore. I love that they watch youtube videos and that they read reddit and tweets. I always got the feeling from Intel that they ignore or disregard much of their enthusiast input.

38 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

keep in mind this is A ONE-WAY UPGRADE, so flashing the new BIOS would prevent downgrading to an older version with the required support for initial CPUs

39 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

which begs the question: how would secondhand listings play out in the future?

Presumably, one could just dump their original BIOS with a CH341a or similar tool and keep the dump safe somewhere, then install the "one-way upgrade", then flash the dump back on the mobo with the CH341a or similar tool when one wishes to sell the mobo -- no more "one-way!"

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Oh come on AMD! Grow a spine!

Those people bitching about it last couple of weeks are enthusiasts and not your real customers. Your real customers needs you to protect them from some mumbo jumbo they can’t handle like this. -_-

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro