System shutting down

lafrente

I got this Gigabyte G750H psu. My system at max power can't pull more than 400w. PSU is 750w.

So far it has been used for about 1000 hours. No configuration has been changed since it was first built. (No extra hardware, no OC, all same as day 1)

Zero problems until last week, but since then, it started shutting down. First time was on desktop, 2 times in a row. Following couple days, it shut down couple times again while just sitting at desktop.

I played a game just for the heck of it, shut down within 15 minutes into the game, it restarts, so when it boots I run the game again, another 15 minutes and bam. Went on like this 4 times.

I have not noticed any abnormal temperatures. CPU is Ryzen 3600 and it hardly ever hits 80c. GPU hardly hits 75c. Mobo no more than 55c even under load.

Culprit definitely gotta be the PSU, right?

When cleaning your PC, don't forget to also clean the PSU.  Does the CPU have a fan?  And if it does have a fan, is the fan running all the time.

38 minutes ago, lafrente said:

I got this Gigabyte G750H psu. My system at max power can't pull more than 400w. PSU is 750w.

So far it has been used for about 1000 hours. No configuration has been changed since it was first built. (No extra hardware, no OC, all same as day 1)

Zero problems until last week, but since then, it started shutting down. First time was on desktop, 2 times in a row. Following couple days, it shut down couple times again while just sitting at desktop.

I played a game just for the heck of it, shut down within 15 minutes into the game, it restarts, so when it boots I run the game again, another 15 minutes and bam. Went on like this 4 times.

I have not noticed any abnormal temperatures. CPU is Ryzen 3600 and it hardly ever hits 80c. GPU hardly hits 75c. Mobo no more than 55c even under load.

Culprit definitely gotta be the PSU, right?

It shuts down completely or it restarts?

If it shuts down completely, it will start back up again by just pressing the power button on the case?

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It shuts down completely or it restarts?

If it shuts down completely, it will start back up again by just pressing the power button on the case?

It restarts

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  That makes a big difference.

Is "automatically restart" unchecked?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-automatic-restart-system-failure-windows/

I'll try this, but before that I checked the event viewer. I don't see any critical system failure in any of the shutdowns, but just "kernel power" telling me there was an unexpected power loss.

1 hour ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

Most likely the power supply is faulty.

It very well could be.  But the fact that it restarts instead of shuts down (OP keeps saying shuts down, but it restarts) tells me it might not be.

If a protection like OCP or OTP or UVP trips, the PC wouldn't come back up again without a power cycle.  OP is saying the PC is going down and coming back on its own, e.g. a "restart".

Sounds like the PSU is latching off causing restarts. Had a similar issue with a XFX 550 CORE. Replaced and problem went away. Just my opinion, that's all.

51 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

Sounds like the PSU is latching off causing restarts. Had a similar issue with a XFX 550 CORE. Replaced and problem went away. Just my opinion, that's all.

Latch off means latch OFF.  Not restart.

The only protection that doesn't latch off is SCP on the +5VSB.

19 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  That makes a big difference.

Is "automatically restart" unchecked?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-automatic-restart-system-failure-windows/

So this was ON, I turned it off, and it still restarts. It went on 5 hours no problem browsing, 5min into the game, restart. 

Event viewer again shows kernel power critical.

Weird thing is sometimes it restarts on desktop too, but nowhere as often as when gaming.

So this PSU is going straight to warranty, and I'll specifically request either new unit or refund. Repaired PSU doesn't sound nice at all.

Are there any dangers continuing using this until I ship it?

Before sending this off, can I try anything at all, to figure out why is PSU triggering some kind of protection?

I got one 5 socket plug connected to wall, and that connects to another 4 plug socket, which is connected to another 3 plug socket, and psu is connected to the 3 plug one. (I might have murdered english grammar with this) the 4x and 3x plugs are not particularly of high quality, but there is nothing requiring high power in the whole chain. Phone chargers, modem and laptops, and tv thats all.

Should I try a more direct route to the wall? I am kinda reluctant about this, because I never had a problem for 3 months and none of the plugs are burnt out or something.

I don't see you mentioning what's your GPU, list your full system specs. Did you try to run Furmark and or OCCT/Prime95 and see if it restarts any faster ? Does it still restart without a notice or BSOD after you've unchecked automatic restart ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

I don't see you mentioning what's your GPU, list your full system specs. Did you try to run Furmark and or OCCT/Prime95 and see if it restarts any faster ? Does it still restart without a notice or BSOD after you've unchecked automatic restart ?

Can you tell me how would full system specs help identify the problem? I already said it won't pull more than 400w, also said that it even restarted sitting at desktop, also that I had done zero overclocking and there is nothing other than "kernel - power" error in event viewer.

I turned auto restart off, and If I had BSOD or anything different I'd surely mention it, but no. It is just like someone pressing the reset button, which my case doesn't even have. I am quite sure if it was related to anything else other than PSU, I'd be able to get some info about the crash.

This can be related to your GPU too, that's why i'm asking for your system specs. I've seen some old AMD GPUs restarting the system randomly without BSODs. And if you have a CPU with integrated graphics, uninstalling the dGPU would help to confirm that.

Edit: I see, it's AMD R5 3600. Did you update UEFI ? Is XMP profile enabled ?

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

This can be related to your GPU too, that's why i'm asking for your system specs. I've seen some old AMD GPUs restarting the system randomly without BSODs. And if you have a CPU with integrated graphics, uninstalling the dGPU would help to confirm that.

Edit: I see, it's AMD R5 3600. Did you update UEFI ? Is XMP profile enabled ?

It's RX 590. XMP enabled, I don't understand what you mean by UEFI, but bios is updated. Ram not overclocked, just 3200 as advertised. If GPU restarting was the case, wouldn't I see some kind of info other than "kernel-power" in event viewer?

Like I mentioned in the first post, nothing has been changed from the first time the PC was built. The only variable is, it was working fine and it just started not working fine.

'Kernel-power' event error just means that the OS doesn't know what's happened, all it knows is that PC suddenly went offline. Try to disable XMP.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

'Kernel-power' event error just means that the OS doesn't know what's happened, all it knows is that PC suddenly went offline. Try to disable XMP.

Is it plausible that XMP profile would work fine for 1000 hours then just start causing restarts?

Just did a heaven gpu bench. No artifacts, no issues. Probably games pull bit more than just a gpu bench, so it just cuts power.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Anyone know if this is DF or LLC?

Edit:  N/M.  LLC.  https://www.overclockers.ua/power/gigabyte-gp-g750h/

CWT GPS platform.

I don't know what those mean, but when I first built the system, I'd hit the power button and it'd light up and the PC would start immediately.

Since last month or so I press the power button, and there's always a delay of about half a second before there is a light on the power button or any activity in the case. 

2 hours ago, lafrente said:

I don't know what those mean, but when I first built the system, I'd hit the power button and it'd light up and the PC would start immediately.

Since last month or so I press the power button, and there's always a delay of about half a second before there is a light on the power button or any activity in the case. 

Could be motherboard.

Could be PSU.

Which one is still under warranty?

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Could be motherboard.

Could be PSU.

Which one is still under warranty?

Everything. Last 10 restarts have all been after 10 minutes of gaming. Doesn't crash in every kind of game, just the heavier ones.

7 hours ago, lafrente said:

That can be PSU or RAM. Disable XMP, see if it helps.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

That can be PSU or RAM. Disable XMP, see if it helps.

It's not the XMP. As a last resort I'll try a different psu cable.