WiFi in Workshop and 150' from Workshop

Modifyinc

I am wanting to add WiFi to my work shop with decent coverage throughout the building. The building is 70' x 30' and fully open inside. Choosing a router for this location shouldn't be difficult, but I would also like the WiFi to extend about 150' beyond the building to the dock at the lake. The dock is only about 20' wide, so I was curious if I should use a directional antenna or what? How should I go about this since I really don't want to put a repeater or AP outside unless that is the only way? Is there a directional antenna that is strong enough to use inside the building that would cover the building area and still provide WiFi about 150' away?

Best option is to run a cable to the dock, and put a second access point there. Your gonna have pretty low signal at that range, even with a directional antenna.

You probalby want a access point, not a router.

There is a YouTuber that ran cable between houses and it carried a lighting strike into several different systems.  Chances aren't high, but might be worth a thought.  

And I believe there are some "commercial" grade antennas that broadcast good distances, but I'm struggling to find names for any of it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I think these may serve your needs, but you'll need to do a bit of research as I have no idea what components are needed.

https://store.ui.com/collections/wireless/airmax

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

23 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Best option is to run a cable to the dock, and put a second access point there. Your gonna have pretty low signal at that range, even with a directional antenna.

You probalby want a access point, not a router.

That would be nice but we have no power at the dock and it would have to go under 2 driveways to get there.

23 hours ago, nick name said:

There is a YouTuber that ran cable between houses and it carried a lighting strike into several different systems.  Chances aren't high, but might be worth a thought.  

And I believe there are some "commercial" grade antennas that broadcast good distances, but I'm struggling to find names for any of it.  

Think the same thing happened to me. The other day my main router at my house which is attached to a surge protector just died. The only thing connected to it that was not attached to a surge protector was a 200' cat5e cable that ran underground through conduit to my workshop router. I tested the shop router and it was dead also. Those were the only two devices that were affected.

So I'm looking to replace the shop router, as I have already replaced my home router, and while doing so was hoping to add coverage to the dock. It's probably just wishful thinking though :)

23 hours ago, nick name said:

Thats why you eaither ground the ethernet cabling OR you run Fiber as its not conductive. 

Those commerical grade antennas you refer to are for building to building. Not for long range WiFi. Keep in mind the device has to be able to signal back. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats why you eaither ground the ethernet cabling OR you run Fiber as its not conductive. 

Those commerical grade antennas you refer to are for building to building. Not for long range WiFi. Keep in mind the device has to be able to signal back. 

You seem knowledgeable on this subject, do you have any suggestions since those commercial grade antennas are only for building to building? Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah that YouTuber switched to fiber.  I wish I could remember who it was.  I think I subscribed, but can't remember.  

@Modifyinc  I saw the YouTuber use some Ubiquiti gear so I went to their site and found their antennas.  There's probably several pieces you'll need together so I think calling them is a good idea.  The YouTuber operates his own ISP so his gear was the expensive Ubiquiti gear.  I did some googling too and ended up on some sites that basically describe your house to shop situation.  

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

eah that YouTuber switched to fiber.  I wish I could remember who it was.  I think I subscribed, but can't remember.  

The 8 Bit Guy. I remember watching that video. Love that guy. Never gotten in to old computers like that, would have been cool back in the day. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The 8 Bit Guy. I remember watching that video. Love that guy. Never gotten in to old computers like that, would have been cool back in the day. 

Ayyyy that's the one!  Thanks that was driving me nutz.  

10 minutes ago, Modifyinc said:

You seem knowledgeable on this subject, do you have any suggestions since those commercial grade antennas are only for building to building? Thank you!

The best solution is to run a wire out there and hook up an AP. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

The best solution is to run a wire out there and hook up an AP. 

How do you ground it against lighting strikes?  

45 minutes ago, nick name said:

How do you ground it against lighting strikes?  

That Im not 100% sure on Ethernet. I just know there is a way. 

Someone above mentioned Ubiquiti AirMax however Ubiquiti has smaller wireless bridges that you can implement fairly inexpensively. 

I have put in dozens of these https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac-gen2/ across numerous locations and distances. You put one of these on your house, and the other on the shop point them at each other and you are golden. They are PoE devices and super easy to install. 

We use AirMax devices for bridging over long distances over 1km. While they will work, they are overkill. The nanobeams are small and easy to install and are designed for distances under 1000m.