Ubisoft Sues Google And Apple Over Rainbow Six Siege Clone

TempestCatto

Ubisoft isn’t happy about Area F2, a free-to-play shooter on the Google Play and Apple App Store that appears to be a clone of their successful game, Rainbow Six Siege. Ubisoft is now suing to remove the game from the popular mobile app marketplaces.

Mobile gaming...

Area F2 was created by Ejoy.com, a company that is owned by Chinese multinational technology company Alibaba. Looking at screenshots of the Ejoy.com created Area F2, it isn’t hard to spot many, many similarities between it and R6 Siege.

There's always someone in China who wants to make an illegal clone.

It might seem weird for Ubisoft to sue the store owners and not the actual developer and publisher of Area F2 but as Engadget speculates, it might have to do with where Alibaba and Ejoy.com are located. Suing for copyright infringement in China is challenging and it might be easier for Ubisoft to get the game removed from popular stores like Google Play, which would make it harder for Area F2 to find new players.

You're better off asking China for a Covid-19 vaccine than suing for damages.

Well it's always a money game, ain't it? The company with the most money, has the best lawyers, and as a result always wins.

EDIT: Thanks to @givingtnt for finding the vidi:

Grape Jelly: https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-sues-google-and-apple-over-rainbow-six-siege-r-1843493191?utm_campaign=Kotaku&utm_content=1589654884&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR01ie4FZFb395Ct1MHGHyNDSmv2RB4d4BON77gFR4q-EqY-9x_8muDe4Sk

This tech news post is sponsored by PIA! PIA Private Internet Access, allows you to brows the web autonomously and safely, using military grade encryption, multi-hop, a kill switch, and more. Go to privateinternetacces.com/linus and get protected today!

Clones coming out of China? I'm shocked! Shocked I say!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Area F2, a free-to-play shooter on the Google Play and Apple App Store that appears to be a clone of their successful game, Rainbow Six Siege.

Actually that sounds kinda appealing. Streisand effect?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I checked out the name and this is the first thing that pops up xD

Literally, you can clearly see how it's a ripoff in the first 20 seconds of footage.
I hope they win.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Now I'm always iffy or hesitant on attacking a "clone" or "ripoff", but this...I mean some of the gui designs are not even unique let alone all the other glaring similarities. There was no attempt to be different. Even in the smallest way. If you didn't tell me I would have thought Ubisoft made a mobile Siege game, instead of, "wow there's a game "like" siege on the mobile store, let me check it out." This a yikes from me. Not sure how the law entirely works in situations like this, like where are the lines and loop holes, but guess we'll see.  

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Ubisoft has a case, but Google and Apple are the wrong companies to sue.  Sue the goddamn developers, Ubisoft!  You could probably bankrupt them with this lawsuit, anyway!

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

51 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

Ubisoft has a case, but Google and Apple are the wrong companies to sue.  Sue the goddamn developers, Ubisoft!  You could probably bankrupt them with this lawsuit, anyway!

As the OP stated, the devs are from China, and a foreign company suing for copyright infringement is... challenging at best.

Suing the platforms is pretty straight forward - more than likely, Apple and Google will simply remove the offending app, and that'll be the end of it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

How about getting valve to sue every CSGO clone in the world.

Or get Bethsada to sue every FPS in the world.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yeah this is just a blatant ripoff. They couldn't even bother changing the UI lmao.

That being said, would this being a mobile game with no ubisoft alternative on that platform be sufficiently enough to determine that its valid? I can't really see if this will make a major impact on ubisoft sales if their game is only on PC/Console and not on mobile

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

Yeah this is just a blatant ripoff. They couldn't even bother changing the UI lmao.

That being said, would this being a mobile game with no ubisoft alternative on that platform be sufficiently enough to determine that its valid? I can't really see if this will make a major impact on ubisoft sales if their game is only on PC/Console and not on mobile

really depends how much apple and google want to bend over for china, if it's possible for them to bend over more

2 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

really depends how much apple and google want to bend over for china, if it's possible for them to bend over more

aint that the truth...

17 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Whether it has an impact on sales is a relatively minor concern. 

If they stole assets and outright game design, it’s a pretty slam dunk case. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

basically homeless was pretty much the first person since the beginning who made the videos about it

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

23 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Whether it has an impact on sales is a relatively minor concern. 

If they stole assets and outright game design, it’s a pretty slam dunk case. 

Legally, I agree, but morally, my point is that I don't see an issue with it as it doesn't seem Ubisoft is really affected by it

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I personally actually enjoy playing the game, so if Ubisoft wins I hope that means that they will make a port of their own instead.

6 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Legally, I agree, but morally, my point is that I don't see an issue with it as it doesn't seem Ubisoft is really affected by it

Ubisoft worked very hard to create such a game. Rainbow Six was all started by Tom Clancy and one could argue it's his work and intellectual property being copied here. Regardless, one company made the game spending potentially millions on it, and continues to improve upon it. Whereas another company is copying assets, sounds, animations, etc all to make a quick buck.

8 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

I disagree strongly. Morally, I have a problem with others stealing work and pretending it’s their own, regardless of whether the original owner is affected by it. 

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Ubisoft worked very hard to create such a game. Rainbow Six was all started by Tom Clancy and one could argue it's his work and intellectual property being copied here. Regardless, one company made the game spending potentially millions on it, and continues to improve upon it. Whereas another company is copying assets, sounds, animations, etc all to make a quick buck.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I disagree strongly. Morally, I have a problem with others stealing work and pretending it’s their own, regardless of whether the original owner is affected by it. 

Fair points. Still, I wonder that with no similar products in the iOS market, it kinda seems like a loss from the consumer standpoint ( not that the mobile game is necessarily good anyways ).

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

20 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

As the OP stated, the devs are from China, and a foreign company suing for copyright infringement is... challenging at best.

Suing the platforms is pretty straight forward - more than likely, Apple and Google will simply remove the offending app, and that'll be the end of it.

Did it require filing suit to remove the games? I would think Google and Apple would be fine with removing the offending material of their own accord given the extreme similarities presented. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

So basically any game where the player wears a tactical suit and holding a weapon like an assault rifle is a clone of R6S. 9_9

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

22 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That's called a copyright takedown request.  You don't sue a company for that unless they blatantly refuse to do so.  This case should get laughed out of court, and ubisoft told to go sue the chinese company in china, or issue a takedown request.

2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Fair points. Still, I wonder that with no similar products in the iOS market, it kinda seems like a loss from the consumer standpoint ( not that the mobile game is necessarily good anyways ).

Loss or not, it’s justified. 

If there’s a market opportunity, some company should spend the money to make their own game to fill that void. Potentially very lucrative too. 

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Did it require filing suit to remove the games? I would think Google and Apple would be fine with removing the offending material of their own accord given the extreme similarities presented. 

I rather assumed Ubi already asked them to

remove it. Otherwise, what would be the point of suing them?

15 minutes ago, justpoet said:

That's called a copyright takedown request.  You don't sue a company for that unless they blatantly refuse to do so.  This case should get laughed out of court, and ubisoft told to go sue the chinese company in china, or issue a takedown request.

See above.

Granted, if they never asked either platform to take it down, they should go do that.

I assume Apple and Google said “prove it” or something to that effect. Could be off the mark here - I didn’t see this information one way or the other in the source. 

Besides, let’s say they did sue the company. And let’s say it’s a slam dunk case. But it’s China, and often the courts don’t care and side with the Chinese company over foreign companies. 

So what is Ubi supposed to do then?

From the bloomberg business article on it:

Alibaba acquired Ejoy in 2017 to increase its presence in online and mobile gaming. Ejoy started promoting Area F2 in the U.S. late last year through YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. The game became available to the public for download on mobile phones and tablets last month, according to the complaint.

Ubisoft said it has notified Apple and Google that Area F2 is infringing its copyrights but the companies have refused to remove the game from the Google Play and Apple App stores.

So, while we can see this is essentially the same game.  Ejoy is Alibaba, which is a recognizable and international entity, even traded on the stock markets…not some tiny fly by night clone maker.  The takedown request was submitted, but unlike youtube who takes anything down without any proof, Apple/Google likely asked Alibaba for proof the IP was theirs, which I'm sure was furnished (probably showing development times, their own game studio and assets, etc).  Which could very easily be seen as "ok, they made it, it isn't just direct IP infringement, we shouldn't be involved" by a distributor.

The only appropriate thing for Ubisoft to do here is to sue Ejoy, aka Alibaba, and use that court case verdict as a reason for the takedown request.  THEN they have a case if Apple/Google still refuse.