Corsair K70 Arrived Today

dgtL

i was going to buy this on amazon for 130 dollars but then i saw the k90 for 120 so i bought the k90 instead xD

I need/want one, but it's so expensive :S I wonder at what price the K95 will sell at...

I wish the backlight was white, it's more neutral and less aggressive.

Anyway, it's the best looking keyboard I have ever seen. Thanks for the pics!

If i had to guess id say $160 but maybe $150. Also ive had white backlighting before and the red is way less aggressive on the eyes. thats why the millitary use it in stealth situations.

I can't decide if I would like this board. Its really nice looking but I have never used a mechanical keyboard before.

Man! you gotta try one then. ive yet to meet someone try mechanical and then go back to membrane. in fact it kinda becomes an addiction for a lot of people.

i was going to buy this on amazon for 130 dollars but then i saw the k90 for 120 so i bought the k90 instead xD

Yea you will find the k90 for cheaper because its the old model that isnt fully mechanical. and a couple other tweaks i believe.

I can't decide if I would like this board. Its really nice looking but I have never used a mechanical keyboard before.

Here is a guide on mechanical keyboards: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

I didn't really like reds because they were linear and they require not much force to actuate them which makes you type faster but they also easier to accidentally actuate the key imo. I went for the Cherry MX Browns for my first mechanical keyboard because I wanted the tactile feel and I didn't want the clicky sound created by Cherry MX Blue. This switch is like in the middle of the switches imo. Great for gaming and typing. The switch that you choose are up to you because different people might have different preferences so you would have to try them out in order to find out which one suits you. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

New Egg just shipped my K70 out today!  Silver with the blue backlighting.  Question, how well did the WASD O rings dampen the noise?  From the YouTube videos it didn't seem the keys on the K70 were too loud to begin with.  Thinking I'll take your lead and get those O rings though.  

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

Here is a guide on mechanical keyboards: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

I didn't really like reds because they were linear and they require not much force to actuate them which makes you type faster but they also easier to accidentally actuate the key imo. I went for the Cherry MX Browns for my first mechanical keyboard because I wanted the tactile feel and I didn't want the clicky sound created by Cherry MX Blue. This switch is like in the middle of the switches imo. Great for gaming and typing. The switch that you choose are up to you because different people might have different preferences so you would have to try them out in order to find out which one suits you. :)

I still have the occasional flub and hit a key on accident but you kinda have to have ogre hands to really have difficulty playing or typing on reds or blacks. Some people get  a preconceived notion that if they dont have either audible or tactile feedback they wont really feel like they fully accuated the keys. its just not true. even a light typist that never bottoms out still feels the keys  being depressed. I personally fouind that the ridges in blues, greens and browns restricted my timings in fps gaming. so i went with the linear key. the k70 came with reds and it is a little light so i have ordered 2 sets of stiffer springs that i will be installing soon. That is just to cut the rebound time down tho not to keep from accidental depression of the keys. So again its been said a million times (because its true) it is all personal opinion but if you get the chance give the linear mechanical keys a try. you might find that you like them!

I was originally going to be ordering the k95 but with hotkeys and such i really dont need the g keys and i really just dont like that its a seperate piece of alluminium. It would have looked so mcuh bettter with one single panel.

New Egg just shipped my K70 out today!  Silver with the blue backlighting.  Question, how well did the WASD O rings dampen the noise?  From the YouTube videos it didn't seem the keys on the K70 were too loud to begin with.  Thinking I'll take your lead and get those O rings though.  

First off congrats! i bet youll love it! To me it sounds like a 60% reduction in noise when bottoming out.

i just used a db meter on my phone and without the oring it maxed at 63db with the oring it was only 55db.

I saw a small switch near the USB port in some pictures, what exactly does it do? 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

It is a switch to change between 4 bios's. I have yet to really mess with it. the keyboard doesnt really come with a lot of documentation. I have changed the lighting and then changed the bois and it was still the same. so im not sure yet and i cant find anything online. i will be calling today but gotta go watch ironman 3 first. xD

Thanks for turning me onto those O-rings on WASD.  Picked u some Blue 0.4mm reduction ones, think I'd prefer those over the Red 0.2mm reduction ones .

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

What's the size of the WASD o rings you bought for your k70?

Case: NZXT. s340 | PSU: Corsair GS700 | Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | GPU: EVGA GTX 560 | CPU: AMD FX-8320 8-core @ 3.5Ghz | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i (upgrading to this soon) | RAM: 2 x 4 Corsair Vengeance pronDDR3 DRAM 1866MHz

I saw a small switch near the USB port in some pictures, what exactly does it do? 

the "Bios" switch has 4 settings:  Bios Mode, 1000hz, 500hz, 250hz, or 125hz.

Bios allows the keyboard to work in some motherboard bios that do not properly support gaming keyboards.  Also the bios switch should make the keyboard compatible with KVM switches (if it wasn't already).

The other values are the polling rate of the keyboard.

How long did it take for you to put those o-rings on all the keys/switches??

Thanks for turning me onto those O-rings on WASD.  Picked u some Blue 0.4mm reduction ones, think I'd prefer those over the Red 0.2mm reduction ones .

Hell yea man np.

What's the size of the WASD o rings you bought for your k70?

40A-L

the "Bios" switch has 4 settings:  Bios Mode, 1000hz, 500hz, 250hz, or 125hz.

Bios allows the keyboard to work in some motherboard bios that do not properly support gaming keyboards.  Also the bios switch should make the keyboard compatible with KVM switches (if it wasn't already).

The other values are the polling rate of the keyboard.

How long did it take for you to put those o-rings on all the keys/switches??

Thanks for the awesome info. im def leaving it on 1 for 1ms. xD

it maybe took 10 mins.

Can you take a picture with wrist rest on?

CPU: i7-4770k @stock  GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC  MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H  RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (1600 MHz, 2x8GB)

CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler  Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 2x256gb(OS/Games), 1TB Seagate Barracuda(storage)  PSU: Corsair AX860i

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70

Just got mine today too!!!!  Amazing in the dark!!!

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Hey can you tell me if it is easy to replace the red switches with blues one I would prefer to have the blue ones over the red.

That the only holding me back, looks amazing might get the k95.

Hey can you tell me if it is easy to replace the red switches with blues one I would prefer to have the blue ones over the red.

Maybe check out this link to a youtube video...seems like a long process to have to do the whole keyboard

http://youtu.be/bLBXxzmuA_Q

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Can you take a picture with wrist rest on?

Yea i think i will have time tonight to get the night shots and ill do some with the wrist rest.

Just got mine today too!!!!  Amazing in the dark!!!

Isnt it! im in love with the looks of this kb

The above video from MunsonedForLife shows a cherry mx red to black mod which the only difference between the 2 is the actuation weight of the spring. This is not the same with other styles of cherry switches. There might be some that are compatible to the point of a housing and stem swap but to my knowledge you cant just put a blue top on a black/red switch. If you want to go from red to blue you will have to desolder the whole switch from the pcb and replace with a new switch. This can be very time consuming and more of an intermediate to advanced mod. If youve got the hands for it and the experience messing about with soldering pcb and  such id say go for it.

Thank you for helping me make the decision I don't have soldering experience so I can't do that. Might just have to buy a different keyboard or get someone to do it for me. Do you know of some who dies these mods and dies them well.

Somebody does die eventually noname7921..

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Thank you for helping me make the decision I don't have soldering experience so I can't do that. Might just have to buy a different keyboard or get someone to do it for me. Do you know of some who dies these mods and dies them well.

I am not sure if he does this for anyone other than his friends but WhiteFireDragon on youtube mods for some friends but im not 100% sure what forum he is or isnt on either. maybe try and contact him through youtube but if you want to look he also has an Ergo-Clear MX switch mod / soldering guide

Also you can try looking around @ http://geekhack.org or deskthority.net both are greatcommunities for mechanical boards.

Somebody does die eventually noname7921..

i see what you did there.

Ohh yea!~ got a package in the mail today!

Its my 65g springs and vinyl stickers!

iMptraj.jpg

yea i went with red again. xD

Very, very nice man.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

If you want blues quick....I did like the CoolerMaster Quickfire TK with Blues, very nice keyboard and worth checking out.

Yea the quickfire Tk is an awesome board. If i had to picka  runner up to my k70 id go back to the ducky shine II 9008. it comes in almost all flavors of cherry.

Ohh yea!~ got a package in the mail today!

Its my 65g springs and vinyl stickers!

iMptraj.jpg

yea i went with red again. xD

What are you doing with the red stickers?