GPU length.

No_One1223

I am sadly in the market for a new GPU, and am tight on space. Modding/Buying a new case are currently last resorts. I have the Crystal 280X, and have a custom loop in it, And am short on space between the GFX card and the reservoir. I currently have the 1060 3G (I know, i know, bad move to buy it, but i was bottle-necked by my old system anyways, and my new one is bottle-necked by my card), and based on preliminary measurements, I can't quite fit the EVGA 2070 Super Black, But if the measurement is taken from the end of the bracket, rather than the start of the PCB, I can fit it no problem. Anyone have insight as to how GFX cards are measured? TIA!

Just check the data sheet of the cards you like.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Just check the data sheet of the cards you like.

The spec sheet tells me the length, but it doesn't specify from where the measurement is taken, and that's what has me confused

Just now, No_One1223 said:

The spec sheet tells me the length, but it doesn't specify from where the measurement is taken, and that's what has me confused

From one end to the other. Thats the way length measurements usual work.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, No_One1223 said:

It's the total physical length.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-length-width-and-heigth-on-a-gpu.2677814/

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

Thank you, This is the first time I've built something with such close tolerances, and this really cleared it up! It's measured from the end of the PCB, which was what confused me because of the term "total length"

5 minutes ago, Praesi said:

From one end to the other. Thats the way length measurements usual work.

But does that measurement also include the brackets overhang?

Just now, No_One1223 said:

But does that measurement also include the brackets overhang?

Its the complete physical length of the card. Since you know exactly where your card "starts" in your case, you know where it will end.

5 minutes ago, No_One1223 said:

Thank you, This is the first time I've built something with such close tolerances, and this really cleared it up! It's measured from the end of the PCB, which was what confused me because of the term "total length"

No, it's the TOTAL PHYSICAL LENGTH of the card, not just the length of the PCB. There's only one way to measure total physical length.

It's the total space it will take up in your case.

If space available is less than dimension on the spec sheet it won't fit.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

No, it's the TOTAL PHYSICAL LENGTH of the card, not just the length of the PCB. There's only one way to measure total physical length.

It's the total space it will take up in your case.

If space available is less than dimension on the spec sheet it won't fit.

I guess what i was saying, is from bracket (The PCB), or from the little pigtail where you screw the card in... I guess i wasn't clear enough on that, sorry

😂 This has been a great laugh.

Length is the length of the card. Entirely. Why would they measure only the PCB? That'd be useless.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, No_One1223 said:

I guess what i was saying, is from bracket (The PCB), or from the little pigtail where you screw the card in... I guess i wasn't clear enough on that, sorry

Yeah, sorry, just realized what you meant. I do not believe the length measurement includes that little bit. Simplified pic.

image.png.43ff20117bc7c9e9b4b316f1d0bff4be.png

Just now, RAS_3885 said:

Yeah, sorry, just realized what you meant. I do not believe the length measurement includes that little bit. Simplified pic.

image.png.43ff20117bc7c9e9b4b316f1d0bff4be.png

This picture is so much easier to see than the ones in the toms hardware post you linked! Thank you so much! Now to do a ton of measuring!

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

😂 This has been a great laugh.

Length is the length of the card. Entirely. Why would they measure only the PCB? That'd be useless.

The start of the PCB was the wording used, not to the end of the PCB