Plex sever

Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,
11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

AMD GPUs won’t do hardware transcoding period. So any low end GPU will work. You may want to research how many transcodes that CPU can do. Because you needed 6. I’d imagine you will be OK but I haven’t looked at the Benchmark data compared to what Plex needs for each transcode. 

AMD GPU's including Radeon & Vega / Integrated Vega graphics work on Windows, via the dxva2 API. 

So technically the OP could get a Radeon card, or more useful, could use a G series Ryzen like the 3400G to enable hardware acceleration. 

9 hours ago, lemoine7576 said:

Passmark says this cpu is a little above 1700. Okay ill do some research on gpu. Any suggestions on a power supply?

If you get a Plex Pass, or Emby Premiere and do hardware transcoding, then the passmark score of your CPU is largely irrelevant.

Stick with a CPU with integrated graphics and use hardware to do the transcoding. Intel i3 9100 or Ryzen 3200G can easily do what you want, without a discrete GPU and considerably less power. 

What PSU you get depends on if you go integrated graphics or discrete GPU, and what case you go for.

Really you need to decide how many drives you want, and what sort of form factor. From there you can work out what cooler & PSU you need. 

In my living rooms i have an i3-7100 with a Z270 in a RVZ02, and an i3-8100 with a B360 in a Node 202.

They both have Noctua L9x65 coolers, NVMe boot drive, Silverstone SFX PSUs and space for 2 x 3.5" hard disks (one of them has a GTX1070 instead). 

Theyre both easily capable of a dozen transcoded streams if they were Plex servers, using QuickSync (ones a Steam Gaming machine, the other is a Kodi Media Center)

Just pointing out you don't need such an expensive CPU and discrete graphics, and by eliminating these you can easily create a compact efficient solution if you use some high capacity disks. 

My Plex server does run on one of my servers with a Ryzen 3950x, but it only has 2 CPU cores & 4GB memory assigned, the GTX1070 does all the lifting and can easily do over 20 x 1080p transcoded streams. Most of the CPU & Memory assigned to my Plex VM is for the other ~12 applications I have running on there as well. 

I was using that for the boot the 6tb hard drive is for the media files

1 hour ago, lemoine7576 said:

I was using that for the boot the 6tb hard drive is for the media files

Yeah, but it’s a Plex server. It’s not your daily driver. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

this was the cheapest name brand one on system builder.

parts plex 1.png

That looks pretty good. 

Since you're using a tower case i'd get a bigger cooler like the Noctua NH-D9L or something

You could also cut the memory in half, 8GB would be plenty

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

just order my parts waiting on them to com in now ill post a picture once I have it built. thank you to all of you that helped with the recommendations it is greatly appreciated. 

The i3-9100 is going to be marginal unless you are using some form of hardware accelerated transcoding.  It doesn't have enough raw cpu power to transcode more than 6-7 streams on its own, and you can forget 4k transcoding.

Plex should run the database off the SSD. It will be more responsive when browsing the library.

The actual media can be left on the spinning rust, you don't need anything more than what a single drive can deliver.

RAM usage is also very low for Plex.  Plex heavily depends on CPU power for transcoding, but doesn't really care about Disk IO or RAM when transcoding. 

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

1 hour ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

The i3-9100 is going to be marginal unless you are using some form of hardware accelerated transcoding.  It doesn't have enough raw cpu power to transcode more than 6-7 streams on its own, and you can forget 4k transcoding.

Plex should run the database off the SSD. It will be more responsive when browsing the library.

The actual media can be left on the spinning rust, you don't need anything more than what a single drive can deliver.

RAM usage is also very low for Plex.  Plex heavily depends on CPU power for transcoding, but doesn't really care about Disk IO or RAM when transcoding. 

the CPU will perform just fine, hes going to use QuickSync for transcoding which that CPU with QuickSync can handle more than enough. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

20 hours ago, Jarsky said:

the CPU will perform just fine, hes going to use QuickSync for transcoding which that CPU with QuickSync can handle more than enough. 

Thanks for that tip by the way cause I was saying the same thing till you had explained about quick sync. Most of my parts will be here by Friday so I might have it all done by this coming week.🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞