Worth going for i7 8086k + GTX 1080 TI in 2020?

Cha0s

Budget (including currency):  - 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p games mostly

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey! I am looking to upgrade my PC. The mobo, CPU and GPU i'll be purchasing from my friend that's also upgrading his PC, so the parts still have warranty!

I am currently curious if this build will let me play games at 2k resolution for the next couple of years.

The parts that my potential PC will have are the following:

Mobo: z370-e gaming

GTX 1080 TI Strix

I7 8086k

Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200mhz

Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro

Corsair RM850 Gold

NZXT H710

Is it worth at all buying this as a gaming PC for 2020?

it will depend on the price. as mentioned above, everything is nice if the price is right.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

1 minute ago, Cha0s said:

Budget (including currency):  - 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p games mostly

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey! I am looking to upgrade my PC. The mobo, CPU and GPU i'll be purchasing from my friend that's also upgrading his PC, so the parts still have warranty!

I am currently curious if this build will let me play games at 2k resolution for the next couple of years.

The parts that my potential PC will have are the following:

Mobo: z370-e gaming

GTX 1080 TI Strix

I7 8086k

Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200mhz

Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro

Corsair RM850 Gold

NZXT H710

Is it worth at all buying this as a gaming PC for 2020?

Yeah. There's a lot of video's as to why the 1080 Ti was a card ahead of its time in terms of performance. It's a great card if you can pick it up for anywhere near 400-500 Bucks, as the 5700Xt is pretty close to that in terms of processing power as well. You also get 11 Gb of VRam which is more than any other card at that price point.

I second that. If the price is right its great hardware. I mean as long as you don't want RTX (which to be honest doesn't have any real use right now) then that's awesome. Go for it. It will hold up for quite a while. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

2 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

Its a great pc if the price is right 

How much is it?

1 minute ago, MartinKweh said:

it will depend on the price. as mentioned above, everything is nice if the price is right.

The mobo + gpu + cpu bought them from my friend will be 700$ and in total it would cost me 1450$.

2 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

I second that. If the price is right its great hardware. I mean as long as you don't want RTX (which to be honest doesn't have any real use right now) then that's awesome. Go for it. It will hold up for quite a while. 

I'd really like to purchase a 2k 144hz IPS monitor in the near future and don't really have more money to invest into an RTX right now, the only one that i could afford would be the 2070 Super which, from what i've understood from researching is that it's holding neck in neck with the 1080 TI. And since i'm getting a pretty good deal buying the combo that i mentioned from my friend, don't think i really need an RTX right now.

1450$

Scared Hamster - Meming Wiki

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

11 minutes ago, Cha0s said:

The mobo + gpu + cpu bought them from my friend will be 700$ and in total it would cost me 1450$.

That's a bloody rip off

The combo above is not worth more than 1000 at most. You're being asked to pay 50% over what it's worth

12 minutes ago, Cha0s said:

what would be the rest? 700$ for the CPU mobo and GPU is fine but 1450$?

4 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

Gu is worth 300 at most. CPU no more than 200. 200 for that board is highway robbery.

23 minutes ago, Cha0s said:

I'd really like to purchase a 2k 144hz IPS monitor in the near future and don't really have more money to invest into an RTX right now, the only one that i could afford would be the 2070 Super which, from what i've understood from researching is that it's holding neck in neck with the 1080 TI. And since i'm getting a pretty good deal buying the combo that i mentioned from my friend, don't think i really need an RTX right now.

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Gu is worth 300 at most. CPU no more than 200. 200 for that board is highway robbery.

I believe he is saying MOBO GPU and CPU is $750 and the rest of his parts are another $700  so $1400 for the whole build.

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

21 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

Okay so these are the parts that i already bought and these are my local prices rounded and converted into USD.

NZXT H710 - 235$

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200mhz - 135$

Cooler Corsair H150i - 230$

PSU Corsair RM850 - 145$

Mobo + CPU + GPU - 675$

Keep in mind that a 1080 TI on my local second hand website goes for about 520$ without warranty.

in my opinion the combo mobo cpu and gpu is okay... it isnt the US used market after all but i think you overspend a bit on the new parts... 

27 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The combo above is not worth more than 1000 at most. You're being asked to pay 50% over what it's worth

26 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

12 minutes ago, Axeonelite said:

I believe he is saying MOBO GPU and CPU is $750 and the rest of his parts are another $700  so $1400 for the whole build.

Also, for instance, a brand new i7 9700k + mobo costs about 740$ and a RTX 2070 Super, for me, brand new, costs 700$, so i'm totally far from achieving those. Last thoughts after this clarification?

3 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

in my opinion the combo mobo cpu and gpu is okay... it isnt the US used market after all but i think you overspend a bit on the new parts... 

I mean, these are the prices around here, so there's nothing i could've done to get them for a lower price anyway and i wasn't going to buy them second hand anyway, so..

caseking.de shippes to Romania for 30 euro (up to 30 kg) and the new stuff would be about 600 euro incl. shipping 

2 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

caseking.de shippes to Romania for 30 euro (up to 30 kg) and the new stuff would be about 600 euro incl. shipping 

Didn't know about the site but i'll keep in mind for the future, thank you. And yeah, i can see that the prices are pretty different and sadly there are not many providers here.

and even on the german marked which seems to be a cheaper i would buy the combo from your friend its a good price for europe 

21 minutes ago, Cha0s said:

Also, for instance, a brand new i7 9700k + mobo costs about 740$ and a RTX 2070 Super, for me, brand new, costs 700$, so i'm totally far from achieving those. Last thoughts after this clarification?

The performance pair for that i7 is the 3600X, not the 9700K/3700X. I'd you're buying that class, the Ryzen 7 3700X is the clear choixe

22 minutes ago, Cha0s said:

1080 Tis are also got and powerful cards and heat degrades the chips. Chances are the 1080 To won't love more than two extra years and you have no warranty so when (not if) it dies you're out of luck. A 5700 (XT) is usually 300-350$ and come with standard three year warranties in Europe

56 minutes ago, Cha0s said:

Okay so these are the parts that i already bought and these are my local prices rounded and converted into USD.

NZXT H710 - 235$

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200mhz - 135$

Cooler Corsair H150i - 230$

PSU Corsair RM850 - 145$

Mobo + CPU + GPU - 675$

Keep in mind that a 1080 TI on my local second hand website goes for about 520$ without warranty.

Did you buy the mobo, CPU and GPU yet? The parts you have bought are fine, but don't spend 500€ on a brand new GTX 1080Ti. Look the card is really unique, but I'd buy an RX 5700 XT or an RTX 2070 Super or wait for next gen GPU's right around the corner. I'd get a used 1080Ti for 300-350€ if you can find a deal such as that. Because whether new or used, it's not worth to spend no more than 350€ on a GTX 1080Ti used. You should reconsider your choices.

Also I'd skip the Intel build and go with a Ryzen 3700X + Asus TUF X570 mobo with an RTX 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

1 minute ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Did you buy the mobo, CPU and GPU yet? The parts you have bought are fine, but don't spend 500€ on a brand new GTX 1080Ti. Look the card is really unique, but I'd buy an RX 5700 XT or an RTX 2070 Super or wait for next gen GPU's right around the corner. I'd get a used 1080Ti for 300-350€ if you can find a deal such as that. Because whether new or used, it's not worth to spend no more than 350€ on a GTX 1080Ti used. You should reconsider your choices.

Also I'd skip the Intel build and go with a Ryzen 3700X + Asus TUF X570 mobo with an RTX 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT.

No, i didn't make the purchase it for the kit and i will think about the ryzen 3700x+ 2070 Super, thank you very much.

1 minute ago, Cha0s said:

No, i didn't make the purchase it for the kit and i will think about the ryzen 3700x+ 2070 Super, thank you very much.

Glad you didn't make the purchase, you can think about the 3700X, 10th gen Intel will be released soon so go with that, but don't think about the GPU. Like I said I wouldn't pay for a brand new GTX 1080Ti a premium, besides the card's warranty is over, I'd get it used if you can find it for 300-350€ nor more than that.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716