New monitor, old stand?

tinpanalley

I've got a dead 24" monitor and a new 27" I just purchased. The new one has a really basic stand, a little tilt nothing else. The old monitor stand has rotate, tilt, and can even turn the screen to go portrait. Both have 110 VESA screw holes on the back. In fact the old stand which I want would seemingly attach right to the back of the new monitor. It comes with a stand that clicks into the bottom of the screen. My only reservation is the old stand goes into a recessed hole on the old monitor and would simply be attached to the back of the new monitor, but not into a recessed hole because the VESA screws are just on the actual back panel.

Can I use the old stand on the new monitor?

Thanks!

13 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

I've got a dead 24" monitor and a new 27" I just purchased. The new one has a really basic stand, a little tilt nothing else. The old monitor stand has rotate, tilt, and can even turn the screen to go portrait. Both have 110 VESA screw holes on the back. In fact the old stand which I want would seemingly attach right to the back of the new monitor. It comes with a stand that clicks into the bottom of the screen. My only reservation is the old stand goes into a recessed hole on the old monitor and would simply be attached to the back of the new monitor, but not into a recessed hole because the VESA screws are just on the actual back panel.

Can I use the old stand on the new monitor?

Thanks!

If both the stand and the monitor have a VESA compatible mount of the same size then they will work together.

You also presumably have both the old stand and new monitor sitting in front of you so... just try it?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, RAS_3885 said:

If both the stand and the monitor have a VESA compatible mount of the same size then they will work together.

You also presumably have both the old stand and new monitor sitting in front of you so... just try it?

I was just asking on the off chance that someone were to say, "not a good idea to mix stands on different monitors, it's not the same as a universal stand for all monitors because a monitor's stand is built for proper distribution of its weight..." etc etc

2 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

it's not the same as a universal stand for all monitors because a monitor's stand is built for proper distribution of its weight

This is valid, but without knowing the specific models in question we can't say for sure. This is where giving it a try and seeing if it feels stable is the best way to go.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15