Low end graphics card

shaneh890

I’m looking to upgrade my dads old pc. He doesn’t game and just does web browsing and watches YouTube/ basic productivity like writing. Would it be better to go integrated graphics or go cheap gpu? And if gpu what would you suggest

Just now, shaneh890 said:

I’m looking to upgrade my dads old pc. He doesn’t game and just does web browsing and watches YouTube/ basic productivity like writing. Would it be better to go integrated graphics or go cheap gpu? And if gpu what would you suggest

He’s looking to spend under 500 total. I was thinking a 1600af (when it goes down to normal price of course) and a cheap b450 board. And was wanting some card around 100 or under. I figured it would be better setup than a cpu with integrated 

An Athlon 3000G, 2x4GB RAM, a cheap b450 and an SSD is more than enough for his needs. It'll probably also be wayyyy less than 500.

He might just need an ssd and some work to clean out and sort his files.   Update him to Windows 10 if he hasn’t already.  The license is already part of the computer.

Some more memory might help and almost every pc can take a 1650 and if he doesn’t game, he doesn’t need more.

No need to create more e-waste if upgrading his current computer is fine.

What does he have now?

3 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

He might just need an ssd and some work to clean out and sort his files.   Update him to Windows 10 if he hasn’t already.  The license is already part of the computer.

Some more memory might help and almost every pc can take a 1650 and if he doesn’t game, he doesn’t need more.

No need to create more e-waste if upgrading his current computer is fine.

What does he have now?

His entire system is too old. It’s from 2006. With only real upgrade to it since then is a boot ssd 

How does he want to pay for Windows?

3rd party key or retail?

How does he want to pay for Windows?

3rd party key or retail?

I’ve got a key already but it’s 3rd party 

3 minutes ago, shaneh890 said:

I’ve got a key already but it’s 3rd party 

That’s fine.  Just want to know whether it would have to be included in the cost.

Does his monitor accept HDMI?

2 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

That’s fine.  Just want to know whether it would have to be included in the cost.

I believe so but not positive. I was looking at a rx 570 because they have hdmi and dvi 

This for $120 shipped for what you are trying to accomplish IMHO - put the boot SSD in and you are good to go 

https://www.newegg.com/hp-elitedesk-800-g1-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-001E-23332

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/shaneh890/saved/#view=vYmp23 This is kinda what I’m thinking so far. I want something that has Far more power than he needs, so just in case he decides he wants to play a little games. His two brothers are big into pc gaming and while my dad doesn’t play, I feel as if he might want to start playing a bit if his system is capable of handling it. (They don’t play crazy triple a titles, prob more e sports type stuff.)

Just now, shaneh890 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/shaneh890/saved/#view=vYmp23 This is kinda what I’m thinking so far. I want something that has Far more power than he needs, so just in case he decides he wants to play a little games. His two brothers are big into pc gaming and while my dad doesn’t play, I feel as if he might want to start playing a bit if his system is capable of handling it. (They don’t play crazy triple a titles, prob more e sports type stuff.)

Permission denied.

5 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Does he need WiFi?

No WiFi. I’ll unlock it for you to view 

My suggestions.

1.  If he wants a cd-rom, transfer it from his other computer.  

2.  Reuse the ssd from his former computer if you can.

3.  Don’t get the 1600.  Wait for the 3100 or 3300x to drop.  Buy it as soon as it drops. Don’t spend more than $120.

4. Get the 1650 super for $160.  As you said, it isn’t for gaming.  It’s for video encoding and streaming.  1650 has a Volta nvec which is better for this.

5.  That being said, if you have to go now, I’d get a 3200g and that will probably be fine for his needs.

To be honest I think that if he doesn’t do gaming, or streaming, or video editing then a 3200g will be more than enough.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that handing him anything over a 3200g will be more than he really wants.  So, dump the graphics card, get the APU, save some money and he will be fine.

Patriot Signature Premium DDR4 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz (PC4-21300) UDIMM kit with Heatshield PSP48G2666KH1. $37.99

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 4-Core Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics $91.97

Rosewill Computer Power Supply for Gaming PC Desktop System, 80+ WHITE 400W Power Supply, RD400-2-SB. $41.99

Rosewill Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case with Dual USB 3.0, Dual Fans and 12.5-Inch Card LINE-M Black  $40.99

MSI ProSeries AMD A320 1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen Ryzen Compliant AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3 Micro-ATX Motherboard (A320M-A PRO MAX). $54.99

All from Amazon - totaling $267.93

Just think about all the money you would have saved.

12 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

My suggestions.

1.  If he wants a cd-rom, transfer it from his other computer.  

2.  Reuse the ssd from his former computer if you can.

3.  Don’t get the 1600.  Wait for the 3100 or 3300x to drop.  Buy it as soon as it drops. Don’t spend more than $120.

4. Get the 1650 super for $160.  As you said, it isn’t for gaming.  It’s for video encoding and streaming.  1650 has a Volta nvec which is better for this.

5.  That being said, if you have to go now, I’d get a 3200g and that will probably be fine for his needs.

To be honest I think that if he doesn’t do gaming, or streaming, or video editing then a 3200g will be more than enough.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that handing him anything over a 3200g will be more than he really wants.  So, dump the graphics card, get the APU, save some money and he will be fine.

Patriot Signature Premium DDR4 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz (PC4-21300) UDIMM kit with Heatshield PSP48G2666KH1. $37.99

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 4-Core Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics $91.97

Rosewill Computer Power Supply for Gaming PC Desktop System, 80+ WHITE 400W Power Supply, RD400-2-SB. $41.99

Rosewill Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case with Dual USB 3.0, Dual Fans and 12.5-Inch Card LINE-M Black  $40.99

MSI ProSeries AMD A320 1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen Ryzen Compliant AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3 Micro-ATX Motherboard (A320M-A PRO MAX). $54.99

All from Amazon - totaling $267.93

Just think about all the money you would have saved.

Disc drive from his old pc is broken, that’s why I’m going for new, I’d get the 1600 when it drops to its normal price of around 85 bucks. I might go integrated. Still on the verge of thinking about it. Just thinking if he ever did want to play with his brothers online as mentioned before. Also I’m concerned that some boards will not work with a Picasso and will need a bios update 

Edited by shaneh890

11 minutes ago, shaneh890 said:

Disc drive from his old pc is broken, that’s why I’m going for new, I’d get the 1600 when it drops to its normal price of around 85 bucks. I might go integrated. Still on the verge of thinking about it. Just thinking if he ever did want to play with his brothers online as mentioned before. Also I’m concerned that some boards will not work with a Picasso and will need a bios update 

The A320s from MSI from Amazon are fresh from the factory, so they should not need an immediate bios update.

There is no guarantee they will drop in price anytime soon - the next few months.

If he wants to play video games, then he needs a separate graphics card and the 3100.  The graphics card adds $160.  That is 70% more money.