Computer Graphics Question (old School)

THE_BESTaliv

Hey Guys,

This is my first time really using this forum so if I'm doing anything wrong let me know! My friends family is currently in the process of upgrading to a new desktop PC because there old one is acting up, it is a dell dimension 4550 and is quite old and dusty. There problem is random pixels will be a certain color and stay that way, plus if you move anything on screen more and more of these appear until the screen is next to unusable. They want this computer running again for the kids to do papers on so they asked me to get it running for as little as possible, I assume the problem is with the graphics card because of these weird pixel problems so I opened up the case and was met with a light showering of dust, the thing was quite bad, so i got out the shop vac and got to work, i found that the graphics card (ATI 9700) was clogged with dust and the can had not been rotating, I assume that that was the problem right? I guess it probably overheated and caused permanent damage to the GPU. But hears the question, whats next? can i just buy any old AGP card from a "Value Pile" and throw it in there and just find a driver for it? What do you guys think? https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzE3wWdLrcZOdG9VaGhnYmttYWM/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah, a fan not spinning can kill GPUs pretty quickly. I would just look on ebay or something similar for an old AGP card. It will probably be hard to find drivers for it online, but I am guessing that they will be available somewhere. 

AGP GPUs are pretty cheap these days, here is the same one as in your computer for $15: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-ATI-Radeon-9700-PRO-128MB-DDR-SDRAM-AGP-8x-Graphics-9Y130-/300893408834?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item460ea50e42

You might be able to find a better one, but no point of spending more money if the computer will only be used for word processing. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Yeah, a fan not spinning can kill GPUs pretty quickly. I would just look on ebay or something similar for an old AGP card. It will probably be hard to find drivers for it online, but I am guessing that they will be available somewhere. 

AGP GPUs are pretty cheap these days, here is the same one as in your computer for $15: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-ATI-Radeon-9700-PRO-128MB-DDR-SDRAM-AGP-8x-Graphics-9Y130-/300893408834?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item460ea50e42

You might be able to find a better one, but no point of spending more money if the computer will only be used for word processing. 

Thank you very much for the quick response and the link!!!!!! That is what I thought, no use dropping big bucks on something your barely going to use anyway. :-D