need help trying to understand this

i have a problem understand what this guy is talking about, just feel like hes using big words. also isnt the speed of the new ps5 ssd 5.5GB/s and 8-9GB/s just theoretical?

image.thumb.png.aed7bdbedc2b3b573449031d275ecb49.png

image.png.a3dc237ad80616270057dda6198f5500.png

tried googling both ubiquitous and ubiquity and still dont understand what he means in these context

I am lacking the context here, but in this case I think ubiquitous/ubiquity is another way of saying 'widely used'.

As in saying "they won't be ubiquitous", is another way of saying "they [fast SSD's I think?] won't be widely used by PC gamers". So 'the problem of ubiquity', is saying every PS5 gamer will have a fast drive, but not all PC gamers will (so the game programmers can't rely on all users having fast storage).

But again, I am lacking the context.

Plus PCIE 4.0 x4 speeds are closer to 8GB/s, rather than 7GB/s (it's 7.88GB/s). Not sure if these numbers are important though, as you will still need a drive being able to keep up with these speeds and enough RAM to actually be able to do something with this data.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

I am lacking the context here, but in this case I think ubiquitous/ubiquity is another way of saying 'widely used'.

As in saying "they won't be ubiquitous", is another way of saying "they [fast SSD's I think?] won't be widely used by PC gamers". So 'the problem of ubiquity', is saying every PS5 gamer will have a fast drive, but not all PC gamers will (so the game programmers can't rely on all users having fast storage).

Plus PCIE 4.0 x4 speeds are closer to 8GB/s, rather than 7GB/s (it's 7.88GB/s). Not sure if these numbers are important though, as you will still need a drive being able to keep up with these speeds and enough RAM to actually be able to do something with this data.

image.thumb.png.07a4f6c21e9950abcca2e44000fdd1c2.png

this is all the context really unless you want the whole thread

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

might as well just link the whole post tbh 

1 minute ago, Joakim97 said:

image.thumb.png.07a4f6c21e9950abcca2e44000fdd1c2.png

Pc will be fine regardless. The difference between a super high end m.2 drive and a regular sata 3 ssd in loading times are really small so either way having lower data throughput won't matter as the rest of the system still has to handle said data.

That and there are plenty of games that just plain perform bad on hdd's today already. So as next gen hits it will become very obvious that for open world games and such you will need an ssd.

7 minutes ago, Joakim97 said:

This guy is basically saying "PS5 is always fast (because all console gamers have the same box, with the same things in it, while on PC you have people with ancient PC's and super old PC's".

Then he has some math around textures.

Okay, cool? Let's just wait before the machine comes out, before comparing storage speed numbers.

Let's see if the rest of the components can keep up too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

This guy is basically saying "PS5 is always fast (because all console gamers have the same box, with the same things in it, while on PC you have people with ancient PC's and super old PC's".

Then he has some math around textures.

Okay, cool? Let's just wait before the machine comes out, before comparing storage speed numbers.

Let's see if the rest of the components can keep up too.

okay, i was just having a hard time following some of the stuff he wrote, still feels like he used "big words" just to sounds better but idk. might just be me not understanding it dues to some language barrier or something lol

5 minutes ago, Joakim97 said:

might as well just link the whole post tbh 

I get where the guy is coming from and well we can already easily do that. Also a whole high detail charachter model can easily be textured fully with a couple mb when the textures are saved as jpgs or something. Sure you can use lossless but that's not really going to show anyways when the materials are applied to the surface where the texture is on and those materials are usually just xml makeup language that direct a shader.

We have been seeing these crowd things in games like deadrising, ac unity,... and it's totally doable. Sure you can now do stupid high res textures but that's pointless in almost any games because lets be honest who is going to pause and look at every random npc's face is massive detail.

Another thing is that most textures are just saved in the gpu memory as their highest allowed setting and cached there for loading so the storage device doesn't get accessed too much and they are just dynamically scaled with lods.

World size is another thing. It's more of a limit in the engine than anything really. Infinite worlds are perfectly possible and can be done with masking load zones. Faster storage will help with smoother transitions between load zones and more inbetweens but not much more.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I get where the guy is coming from and well we can already easily do that. Also a whole high detail charachter model can easily be textured fully with a couple mb when the textures are saved as jpgs or something. Sure you can use lossless but that's not really going to show anyways when the materials are applied to the surface where the texture is on and those materials are usually just xml makeup language that direct a shader.

We have been seeing these crowd things in games like deadrising, ac unity,... and it's totally doable. Sure you can now do stupid high res textures but that's pointless in almost any games because lets be honest who is going to pause and look at every random npc's face is massive detail.

Another thing is that most textures are just saved in the gpu memory as their highest allowed setting and cached there for loading so the storage device doesn't get accessed too much and they are just dynamically scaled with lods.

World size is another thing. It's more of a limit in the engine than anything really. Infinite worlds are perfectly possible and can be done with masking load zones. Faster storage will help with smoother transitions between load zones and more inbetweens but not much more.

okay thanks, helped me understand what he ment alot better