How to make a 6-pin power cable work on an 8-pin plug?

ShadowChaser

I just bought an EVGA 1660 Ti SC Ultra Gaming, and it has an 8-pin pcie power plug. Due to space constraints I made my own low profile 90 degree pcie power cable, but this was done before I ordered the card (and when I thought I'd only be using a 1650S) and it only had 6 pins (3 live 3 ground). Since the HD-Plex PSU I'm using technically only has 12v and ground outputs it shouldn't matter if I use a 6-pin or an 8-pin, however I know that GPUs with an 8-pin tend not to power on when only a 6-pin is inserted. To my knowledge all the GPU does is see if pin 4 is connected to ground (sense B), so would it be alright if I just jumped that pin to the ground next to it on the pcb?

Edit: if this is feasible how much current should I expect to be passed along this bridge?

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

Afaik you can just plug the 6pin cable into the 8pin connector, the card should still work. If for some reason it doesn't you can get an adapter, or like you mentioned just short the ground to ground and 12v to 12v. Thats what the adapter does anyway. 

7 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

I just bought an EVGA 1660 Ti SC Ultra Gaming, and it has an 8-pin pcie power plug. Due to space constraints I made my own low profile 90 degree pcie power cable, but this was done before I ordered the card (and when I thought I'd only be using a 1650S) and it only had 6 pins (3 live 3 ground). Since the HD-Plex PSU I'm using technically only has 12v and ground outputs it shouldn't matter if I use a 6-pin or an 8-pin, however I know that GPUs with an 8-pin tend not to power on when only a 6-pin is inserted. To my knowledge all the GPU does is see if pin 4 is connected to ground (sense B), so would it be alright if I just jumped that pin to the ground next to it on the pcb?

Edit: if this is feasible how much current should I expect to be passed along this bridge?

Shouldn't have an issue just plugging in a 6 pin to 8 pin device and leaving the +2 pin unoccupied, that's the reason for the sense lines that are used since the device is suppose to be able to detect if it has the capability of receive full power (8pin). 

Area-51 R1 MIO 10Pin Power Cable Project: ways to make your own ...

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

-snip-

I was actually looking at that - my understanding is that if sense B isn't connected the pcie device assumes that it's the 75W standard and not the 120W standard. This matters because this card in particular draws very little power from the pcie slot and >90W of its 120W-ish power draw comes from the 8-pin. While I know the cable can handle it I guess I'll just need to have the card in hand to see if it works :/ 

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.