How does water cooling work?

RyanE512

I have wondered this for a long time: How does water cooling work? How does WATER cool the CPU without destroying it, as CPUs are not waterproof.

@RyanE512

Hey. For water cooling there is a radiator, CPU/GPU (depending on what is being cooled) block, pump, tubing and fans.

The CPU block as attached to the CPU making a tight seal between the block and CPU with thermal paste applied, in the same manner as an aircooled heatsink is used. This dissipates the heat from the CPU chip. Water is pumped around a sealed loop through the tubing to the radiator. 

A radiator is a large array of fins that have a large surface area. The water passes through the fins and the fans push air across the fins. This is how the heat is dissipated from the water cooling loop. 

The process is repeated (rinse and repeat). Hence keeping the chip cool.

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

The water doesn't actually touch the CPU. The water flows through a block of copper which in turn is in contact with the CPU lid.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

The water is closed off from the components. The water travels through copper blocks (or whatever material may be used) that heat up and heat up the water, which is then pushed to radiators through tubing and is subsequently cooled off.

It's a big loop that allows the water time to cool off before it's pushed back past the components and heated up again.

Here's a link to explain it a little more.

Pew Pew Helicopters

it's like air cpu coolers, there is a copper plate that touches the CPU itself, think of that in a CPU water cooling block, it's exactly the same but the water makes contact with the copper block and dissipates the heat and it proceeds to the radiator. Same goes with GPU blocks. Think of it as a cycle.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Really water cooling is just air cooling. It still uses big chunks of metal and fans forced over it to remove heat from the metal and transfer it to the air around the component. The only real difference is that the heat is moved away from the component in the water and then is dissipated in the radiator. That is kind of like the modern air coolers that use heat pipes, so those a liquid/gas to move the heat away from the bottom of the heatsink to the top, same principle just water carries it further away.

water travels to the components cia block and tubes and then goes to the radiator 

radiator with the fans with it takes all the head away.

Live your life like a dream.