Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grx

Could you upgrade the gpu in the upcoming XPS 17 2020?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I was planning on buying the new xps 17 when it launches, but I'm not sure which gpu to pick: the 1650ti or the 2060.

The 1650ti would probably be good enough for my use, but since I don't plan on upgrading for another 4-5 years, the extra power of the 2060 is pretty alluring. (I'm currently using an xps 15 9550 with a 960m)

 

So I wanted to ask if you guys think I could purchase the 1650ti version and later (if I need the extra power) find somewhere to buy a replacement 2060 gpu to put in? Or would the motherboard be incompatible with different gpus?

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

you could get a GPU enclosure if that laptop has thunderbolt 3 (I would assume it does because it is a newer gen laptop)

 

Would look something like this:

 

image.jpg


NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

you could get a GPU enclosure if that laptop has thunderbolt 3 (I would assume it does because it is a newer gen laptop)

 

Would look something like this:

What is Thunderbolt 3?

Yeah, but a gpu enclosure adds another $300 on top of the new gpu's price and you also loose the portability of the laptop...

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Grx said:

Hi, I was planning on buying the new xps 17 when it launches, but I'm not sure which gpu to pick: the 1650ti or the 2060.

The 1650ti would probably be good enough for my use, but since I don't plan on upgrading for another 4-5 years, the extra power of the 2060 is pretty alluring. (I'm currently using an xps 15 9550 with a 960m)

 

So I wanted to ask if you guys think I could purchase the 1650ti version and later (if I need the extra power) find somewhere to buy a replacement 2060 gpu to put in? Or would the motherboard be incompatible with different gpus?

Thanks!

No,a it's very rare these days that you can find a laptop that you can replace the GPU in. And I can't think of any thin and light from any manufacturer where you can replace the GPU.

 

So short answer, no.


Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

No,a it's very rare these days that you can find a laptop that you can replace the GPU in. And I can't think of any thin and light from any manufacturer where you can replace the GPU.

 

So short answer, no.

Darn, I thought if they supported both gpu skus there may be a chance :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grx said:

Darn, I thought if they supported both gpu skus there may be a chance :)

You could probably swap the entire motherboard to a model with a better GPU, but typically all parts are soldered directly to the motherboard.


Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×