Could you upgrade the gpu in the upcoming XPS 17 2020?

Hi, I was planning on buying the new xps 17 when it launches, but I'm not sure which gpu to pick: the 1650ti or the 2060.

The 1650ti would probably be good enough for my use, but since I don't plan on upgrading for another 4-5 years, the extra power of the 2060 is pretty alluring. (I'm currently using an xps 15 9550 with a 960m)

So I wanted to ask if you guys think I could purchase the 1650ti version and later (if I need the extra power) find somewhere to buy a replacement 2060 gpu to put in? Or would the motherboard be incompatible with different gpus?

Thanks!

you could get a GPU enclosure if that laptop has thunderbolt 3 (I would assume it does because it is a newer gen laptop)

Would look something like this:

image.jpg

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

4 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

you could get a GPU enclosure if that laptop has thunderbolt 3 (I would assume it does because it is a newer gen laptop)

Would look something like this:

What is Thunderbolt 3?

Yeah, but a gpu enclosure adds another $300 on top of the new gpu's price and you also loose the portability of the laptop...

27 minutes ago, Grx said:

Hi, I was planning on buying the new xps 17 when it launches, but I'm not sure which gpu to pick: the 1650ti or the 2060.

The 1650ti would probably be good enough for my use, but since I don't plan on upgrading for another 4-5 years, the extra power of the 2060 is pretty alluring. (I'm currently using an xps 15 9550 with a 960m)

So I wanted to ask if you guys think I could purchase the 1650ti version and later (if I need the extra power) find somewhere to buy a replacement 2060 gpu to put in? Or would the motherboard be incompatible with different gpus?

Thanks!

No,a it's very rare these days that you can find a laptop that you can replace the GPU in. And I can't think of any thin and light from any manufacturer where you can replace the GPU.

So short answer, no.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

No,a it's very rare these days that you can find a laptop that you can replace the GPU in. And I can't think of any thin and light from any manufacturer where you can replace the GPU.

So short answer, no.

Darn, I thought if they supported both gpu skus there may be a chance :)

Just now, Grx said:

Darn, I thought if they supported both gpu skus there may be a chance :)

You could probably swap the entire motherboard to a model with a better GPU, but typically all parts are soldered directly to the motherboard.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂