CPU running at 105 degrees

Hello
I have just upgraded my system which had a Core I7 3770 non k and a RX 570 I kept the same CPU and put in a Radeon R9 fury X and I also added a new Coolermaster ML240R AIO I applied thermal paste and mounted the cooler properly, I used the Sys Fan header 2 for the Pump since the motherboard doesn't have a pump header I've done it before and it has worked fine once I got the system running it seems to be running quite a bit warmer than my old heatsink and 120mm fan than was on it beforehand so I checked if the pump was working, the tubes vibrate so I assume it's working, I launched Cinebench R20 to see how hot the CPU gets it instantly jumped to 105 degrees Celsius according to MSI afterburner yet all cores remained at 3.6 GHz and the Tubes from the pump or the radiator were not hot at all and behind the cpu and the actual water block remained cool the cinebench score ended up being 1,296 so im not sure what to do from here if the cooler is dead or MSI afterburner is just reading wrong. 

Check with HWInfo64 or Coretemp for an intel based system. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Perhaps the cooler isn't fitted on properly and it's loose in one of the corners. Are the fans at a low speed?

2 minutes ago, Pasgui9 said:

Perhaps the cooler isn't fitted on properly and it's loose in one of the corners. Are the fans at a low speed?

The cooler is fitted properly and all the fans are at max speed

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Check with HWInfo64 or Coretemp for an intel based system. 

I ran Coretemp and ran cinebench 20 again it ran at 105 degrees pretty much instantly but it didn't throttle it just stayed at 3.6 GHz

1 minute ago, rat15 said:

I ran Coretemp and ran cinebench 20 again it ran at 105 degrees pretty much instantly but it didn't throttle it just stayed at 3.6 GHz

if its jumping to 105 instantly, then you have not seated the cooler properly or didnt put enough thermal paste when remounting it if you are certain the pump is working properly. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Your i7 is designed to thermal throttle at 105 degrees so I think it's just a bug. If it doesn't thermal throttle then we know that the readings are wrong.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if its jumping to 105 instantly, then you have not seated the cooler properly or didnt put enough thermal paste when remounting it if you are certain the pump is working properly. 

I assure you the cooler is on properly I have mounted many coolers in the past before. as for the pump working the tubes are vibrating which is the only indication I have that it is actually working, another thing if you need to know after the cinebench is finished it pretty much jumps straight back down to 60 degrees again

3770 has that crappy paste between cpu die and heat spreader. Could be that it has dried up completely now.

1 minute ago, Jeppes said:

3770 has that crappy paste between cpu die and heat spreader. Could be that it has dried up completely now.

it was running cooler when I had my heatsink cooler with a 120mm fan so I don't think its paste

it was running cooler when I had my heatsink cooler with a 120mm fan so I don't think its paste

Well then its the cooler you ruled out. Quite easy.

2 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Well then its the cooler you ruled out. Quite easy.

I'll shut down my computer and take off the block to take a picture ill see if you think its the problem then

I'll shut down my computer and take off the block to take a picture ill see if you think its the problem then

People cant see if the cooler is working or not from a picture. Based on your assesment on how it only runs hot with the new cooler, its quite clear that there is something wrong with the new one or youre not running the pump on high enough rpm. Crank the pump to run with full 12V and max out the fans too. Is the rad mounted correctly? Tubes should never go into the rad at the highest point of the loop because then you force air into the pump.

33 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

People cant see if the cooler is working or not from a picture. Based on your assesment on how it only runs hot with the new cooler, its quite clear that there is something wrong with the new one or youre not running the pump on high enough rpm. Crank the pump to run with full 12V and max out the fans too. Is the rad mounted correctly? Tubes should never go into the rad at the highest point of the loop because then you force air into the pump.

image.png.02c8fb4e85114f7e745df0dd27131bf0.png

34 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Looks like I've found the problem, but its weird the cooler is hooked up exactly how the manual says it should be not sure whats going on here