Who's the actual winner? AIO vs Air Cooling

SyedHamed
1 minute ago, Aniallation said:

This topic has been brought up repeatedly for like a decade lol, at the end of the day it always boils down to so many variables such as your case layout and most of all your own preference. 

Personally, I just dislike the look of AIOs and prefer an air cooler.

I'm an aio user and hating the price to performance ratio. Was a bad decision to opt for an aio

2 minutes ago, SyedHamed said:

I'm about to build myself a 3700x/3900x workstation slash gaming rig. It's gonna on full load most of the time and also I'm gonna oc it.
Money isn't a fact, my question is how much higher does a good aio run compared to a good air cooler at the highest load scenario?
If a good aio is costly but can beat a good air cooler,i'm going for it and vice versa

Their performance is very similar. It seems in a lot of cases people are turning to high quality air coolers instead of AIOs when it comes to pure performance.

Honestly so much of it comes down to preference. I personally like the style of AIOs more, and really like nice custom loops. But some people are die hard for air.

A good AIO will run you significantly more than a good air cooler. But I would say their performance is very similar, also, a good quality air cooler will run quieter than an AIO.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

7 minutes ago, SyedHamed said:

I'm an aio user and hating the price to performance ratio. Was a bad decision to opt for an aio

IMO as far as price to performance goes, for light-duty a half decent air cooler will give you better value than one of the small thin 120mm AIOs, but for heavy-duty applications you'll still end up having to spend quite a bit to get a beefy air cooler that can match the performance of a good 240/280mm AIO. 

"Rawr XD"

1 minute ago, Aniallation said:

IMO as far as price to performance goes, for light-duty a half decent air cooler will give you better value than one of the small thin 120mm AIOs, but for heavy-duty applications you'll still end up having to spend quite a bit to get a beefy air cooler that can match the performance of a good 240/280mm AIO. 

I'm planning on getting a dual tower beefy air cooler and replace the fans with high static push-pull configuration.
If that can't pull a larger lead of at least 2-3C, I'm getting another aio because 0.5-0.9 degrees is the lead that out of the box nh-d15 has over the H100i Platinum.

11 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

An AIO needs a well ventilated case just as much as an air cooler. All the air that goes through the rad goes through the case as well (setting aside unconventional cases/builds obviously).

This is not accurate. AIOs are mounted directly to where air flow is available. I was able to keep a 9700k and a 2080 super very well cooled in a streacom DA2 with just one 120mm AIO for the cpu and a 140mm AIO for the GPU. The GPU dropped from 84c to 74c and the cpu went from 100c to 78-80c max all while being quieter.

15 minutes ago, SyedHamed said:

I'm about to build myself a 3700x/3900x workstation slash gaming rig. It's gonna on full load most of the time and also I'm gonna oc it.
Money isn't a fact, my question is how much higher does a good aio run compared to a good air cooler at the highest load scenario?
If a good aio is costly but can beat a good air cooler,i'm going for it and vice versa

They will be about the same as long as you have good airflow. You don’t need much to cool a 3700x. Mine is running just fine with a 140mm AIO on it. If you’re overclocking you should be fine with a 240-280mm aio or a decent air cooler (think dark rock pro). If you’re going to be moving the case around I would go with an AIO to reduce weight on the cpu socket.

6 minutes ago, SyedHamed said:

So with an even playground, it's a neck and neck between them.
And if cost is a thing, air coolers are always better.

Generally yes, if a push/pull fan config is possible on a intake rad this is favorable, but again it depends on the case and use etc. I mean some 240mm AIOs can be found for less that large air coolers like a Noctua NH-D15, these cheaper options can perform better if setup in a better airflow case with a proper fan setup. But generally only the high end AIO's actually compete with the large premium air coolers.

If you are cooling something like a R7 3700x, then a mid-range cooler like a ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO is more than enough, But for example something like a R9 3900x an investment in a large air cooler or 240mm AIO is a good investment, I find NH-D15 (unless it is the puke brown version) to expensive, to close to AIO territory, the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro4 is generally a better buy, as are options like the Cryorig R1 (when in stock), Deepcool Neptwin, Scythe Mugen + Ninja 5, these are all better options for the money, up to 50% less then some premium AIO's and probably within 10% of thermal performance. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

This is not accurate. AIOs are mounted directly to where air flow is available. I was able to keep a 9700k and a 2080 super very well cooled in a streacom DA2 with just one 120mm AIO for the cpu and a 140mm AIO for the GPU. The GPU dropped from 84c to 74c and the cpu went from 100c to 78-80c max all while being quieter.

They will be about the same as long as you have good airflow. You don’t need much to cool a 3700x. Mine is running just fine with a 140mm AIO on it. If you’re overclocking you should be fine with a 240-280mm aio or a decent air cooler (think dark rock pro). If you’re going to be moving the case around I would go with an AIO to reduce weight on the cpu socket.

It's gonna be sitting in my corner table for the rest of it's life. And if I have to move it, gonna take out the air cooler itself.
Cuase who wants to snap off a 300$ motherboard?

The guys who love AIOs probably have never had good air cooling performance. AIOs will perform well for a year or so before you notice it’s performance start to taper off. Once that begins it degrades quickly. I just blow out my cooler and fans now and then with my datavac and it’s back in business. I can see both sides of the fence because I’ve been there. Since moving back to air I really have no regrets. I get better performance. I’m not saying a 212 evo is better than an h100 lol, it’s not. But a serious air cooler will take you a long way, as long as you aren’t afraid to move a little air. You can’t have silence and high performance, not going to happen unless you spend some bucks on real water cooling. Those AIOs have like a mouth full of water in it lol.

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

5 hours ago, SyedHamed said:

It's gonna be sitting in my corner table for the rest of it's life. And if I have to move it, gonna take out the air cooler itself.
Cuase who wants to snap off a 300$ motherboard?

You’ll be fine with either then. 

14 hours ago, SyedHamed said:

Arctic Freezer II 280 is cheaper than the hyped over-priced Noctua coolers and beat thems in performance. The difference is although so small that I would go for 40-50€ air-cooler instead as there are pretty much no cpus that hit thermal walls in a sane way. Zen2 is stupid for oc as you get something crazy like 20-40% extra wattage for that last 100mhz.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:01 PM, SyedHamed said:

AIO uses water inside the loop that can harness much more heat than air before changing temps. If this thermal conductivity is considered, aio should dissipate much more heat than Air coolers with a single degree of temperature change.

Correct me please if i'm wrong, AIOs are gonna run much more hotter than air coolers, but gonna take out much more heat out of the cpu.

Depends aios are good for looks and you can usually overclock a bit on your cpu with them by are more expensive than air coolers but some air coolers can be either better or equivalent to aios and are usually cheaper but take up more room in your pc case and can give you ram clearance issues if you choose ram that isn’t low profile and air coolers usually last longer because water won’t evaporate and you won’t have to check the pump every so often for pump failure and don’t have the chance of leaking like aios do and if you care more about aesthetics and want to overclock a lot and have a lot of money then go for aios but if you want to save a bit of money and have a cooler that lasts longer and a cooler that you don’t have to check for pump failure then go for air coolers because they usually last longer than aios Both are very good options for the cpu even custom water cooling is good but has a high risk of leaking if you don’t know how to maintain the water cooling or failure if you don’t maintain it properly and also has the chance of stuff getting in the water and blockages can happen in aios and custom water cooling which can be hard to unblock if you don’t know what your doing but if you go air coolers you only have to clean the fans every so often and don’t have to deal with any evaporation issues, or blockages, or Leaks, or pump failure I personally would go for air cooler because they tend to last longer and the risks from aios and custom water cooling aren’t there to worry about 

3 hours ago, Mitzy said:

Depends aios are good for looks and you can usually overclock a bit on your cpu with them by are more expensive than air coolers but some air coolers can be either better or equivalent to aios and are usually cheaper but take up more room in your pc case and can give you ram clearance issues if you choose ram that isn’t low profile and air coolers usually last longer because water won’t evaporate and you won’t have to check the pump every so often for pump failure and don’t have the chance of leaking like aios do and if you care more about aesthetics and want to overclock a lot and have a lot of money then go for aios but if you want to save a bit of money and have a cooler that lasts longer and a cooler that you don’t have to check for pump failure then go for air coolers because they usually last longer than aios Both are very good options for the cpu even custom water cooling is good but has a high risk of leaking if you don’t know how to maintain the water cooling or failure if you don’t maintain it properly and also has the chance of stuff getting in the water and blockages can happen in aios and custom water cooling which can be hard to unblock if you don’t know what your doing but if you go air coolers you only have to clean the fans every so often and don’t have to deal with any evaporation issues, or blockages, or Leaks, or pump failure I personally would go for air cooler because they tend to last longer and the risks from aios and custom water cooling aren’t there to worry about 

Gold Star! Longest run-on sentence I have ever seen :)

Good points in there, actually.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

generally speaking

with noise equalised top aios beat top airs without breaking a sweat

with noise equilised 240mm &+ aios outperform airs at equavalent price ranges.

with noise equilised 120mm aios don't perform meaningfully better than most competent air coolers and can often be worse than the better ones, and are much pricier.

aios have more points of failure and harder quality control and failing of one can have catastrophic outcome. Even with high quality aios you still need to worry about liquid permiating the tubes the degree of which can't be reliably observed unless you open up the tubes, meaning at rather arbitrary time intervals (usually the warranty period) you need to replace tubes & liquids or even the entire AIO the former of which can degrade the reliability of the existing aio resulting in higher likelihood of failure.

meanwhile, if the fan on an aircooler fails, you can see it and easily replace it.

aios provide superior ram clearance, and in this time and age you can expect aios overall to have better compatibility than airs overall.

aesthetics are a personal thing: LED pumps look absolutely sick; some air cooler designs can only be described as badass.

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)