Setting Up Rosetta@Home

We can use all the help we can get with the BOINC Pentathlon over the next couple of weeks. Here is an overview of how to get setup on Rosetta crunching COVID tasks for the Marathon.

First, if you haven't signed up for Rosetta at home head over to their website and create an account.

Once you've created an account you need edit the account to link it to the LinusTechTips_Team.

Go into the "Teams" link under "Community" in the top menu

Rosetta_Teams.jpg.fa95862ea3566ff836b1ed1a1c66413c.jpg

Now in the Teams page enter "LinusTechTips" in the Key words field and press "Search"
Rosetta_Teams_SearchLTT2.jpg.92a1dbc8b428f0727fc764047c290e86.jpg

In the Team Search Results click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" link to go to the Team page and in the Team Page click on the "Join this Team" link.

Optional: Setting Project Preferences

Spoiler

Now that you've created an account and Joined Team LTT you may want to set some Preferences for this Project.

Go back to the "Your Account" link

Rosetta_Account.jpg.a14ee7d4c1a26f66f1acc5dfbe6e420d.jpg

Click the "Rosetta@home preferences"

Rosetta_ProjectPreferences1.jpg.633705e5d5b8caf66b53b3d521f14888.jpg

And select the "Edit preferences" link to change any that interest you.

Rosetta_ProjectPreferences2.jpg.3d8a8b9b16035b12746186b11583af0c.jpg

The one that you might want to change is the "Target CPU run time" This specifies how long you prefer tasks to run. This is by default 8 hours and you might want to change it to 4 hours so tasks get completed more frequently.

Now you've created you Rosetta Account and linked it to Team LTT you need to download and install the BOINC Client for your hardware platform.

Once you've installed the BOINC software open the BOINC manager and it should prompt you to add a Project. Note that Rosetta is transitioning from using HTTP to HTTPS and the BOINC software all has the old URL so just paste https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta into the Project URL: field to use the new URL so you wont have to switch over mid way through the Competition:

If your not prompted to Add a Project just select "Add project ..." from the Tools Menu.

Select "Yes, existing user" and enter the email address and Password you registered with:

BOINC_AddUser.jpg.e9f9befb2e14e88cebd08667c140fa71.jpg

and click Next.

If you are still Folding while running BOINC remember to tell BOINC to not use all your CPU threads and reserve 1 thread for each GPU you're still folding on and at least 1 or 2 threads for the Operating System so it does not become completely un-responsive.

Click "Computing Preferences" from the Options menu to set the restrictions:

BOINC_CompPrefs_Computing_New.jpg.f191ea0a449d6288202837323831b480.jpg

Here I've set the client up to use only 75% of my threads so on a 16-thread CPU only 12 would be used for BOINC. I've also told BOINC to store at least 0.04 days of work. This is how often it contacts the Project Servers and Uploads completed tasks and requests new tasks so it will contact the servers about once an hour. I've also configured the client to store an additional 1/2 days of work just in case the servers get overloaded or run out of tasks.

The "Disk and Memory" Tab in Computing Preferences is where you configure how much Disk Space an RAM the BOINC Client has access to.

BOINC_CompPrefs_DiskMemory.jpg.9c90be05bbb3eb89b8b9d31f2446dd58.jpg

Here I've told BOINC it can use all but 5GB of space on my SSD. This is a dedicated Compute machine with only a 120GB SSD so I want to make sure it doesn't run out of space. Season to taste here.

I've also told BOINC here that it can use up to 90% of my RAM and no more than 25% of my Virtual Memory (Swap under Linux or the PageFile in Windows)

Now that you've set some sane CPU & Memory limits for your use case head back over to the Tasks Tab. Now that Rosetta has been running for a bit you should see some tasks running and some others queued up ready to go.

Over in the Projects Tab is where you can Pause a Project (Suspend) or Update it (Send Completed Work and Request new tasks):

BOINC_Projects2.jpg.ea3291e1521d85003a8a4fe8aeeeac8b.jpg

You have to click on the Project on the right side to select an action on the left side.

That's it. Your Done. Thanks for helping!

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

9 minutes ago, Bloudy_Parrot said:

where does it help??

The BOINC Pentathlon 2020 is running right now, and if you crunch Rosetta@home for the LinusTechTips_Team, you'll be helping us climb the Pentathlon leaderboard. If you'd like more info about the event, check out the BOINC Pentathlon 2020 thread😁👍

Outside of credits and competition, contributing your processing power for Rosetta@home helps with protein research. Specifically, predicting protein structures -- data that'll be used to research diseases (like COVID-19) and other biological macro-molecules (RNA, DNA, etc.). For cyance science! ⚗️

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

49 minutes ago, Eschew said:

The BOINC Pentathlon 2020 is running right now, and if you crunch Rosetta@home for the LinusTechTips_Team, you'll be helping us climb the Pentathlon leaderboard. If you'd like more info about the event, check out the BOINC Pentathlon 2020 thread😁👍

Outside of credits and competition, contributing your processing power for Rosetta@home helps with protein research. Specifically, predicting protein structures -- data that'll be used to research diseases (like COVID-19) and other biological macro-molecules (RNA, DNA, etc.). For cyance science! ⚗️

So we share our computing power against corona SOUNDS AMAZING but... Does it also work with Android??

23 minutes ago, Bloudy_Parrot said:

So we share our computing power against corona SOUNDS AMAZING but... Does it also work with Android??

Yes. It's not recommended, since it drains your phone/device's battery very quickly, but there is a BOINC app for Android (developed by U.C. Berkeley, the same folks that developed the BOINC Manager), and I can confirm it does work. The credits contribution is somewhat small, but every little bit counts, yes? 😁

Note: If you do run BOINC on Android, I don't think you can set any Team preferences through the BOINC Android app. If you want to contribute your credits towards the LinusTechTips_Team, I'd suggest adding the team to your project through BAM! or through the project's site.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)