My new m.2 is not recognized

dnktrip

I recently bought a kingston A2000. I added it into my computer (HP ak-001nc) but the drive is not being recognized not even by disk manager, nor bios or diskpart.

What should I do to fix this?

call kingston? RMA it?

check your bios update and make sure you have PCI-e lanes available in your CPU.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

17 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

call kingston? RMA it?

check your bios update and make sure you have PCI-e lanes available in your CPU.

i really dont know what RMA is. How can i check the PCI-e lanes

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Benji said:

You cannot check the PCIe lanes at all as that is internally wired and depends on the motherboard layout. Based on the looks of the M.2 socket, it is designed for NVMe SSDs (M-Key). The SSDs that are by default found in the slot are SATA SSDs (probably for price reduction), yet it should work with NVMe SSDs. RMA means "Return merchandise authorization" which basically just means send it in for repair.

there is a m.2 m key slot available and a marking next to it saying SSD, there is also an option to exchange my ODD for an ssd but that would be a different connector

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Well, it is supposed to go in the M.2 slot with the marking SSD next to it. But it doesn't work for you? Do you have any other NVMe SSDs on hand to test?

The ssd is not being recognized by anything on my computer, the only other is located as a bootdrive for a different pc, wont that be a problem?

Just now, Benji said:

If you just quickly throw it in the laptop to test and enter the BIOS to see if it is even detected, no, it won't be a problem. That is what I would do to see if it failed.

okay i can try. brb

1 hour ago, Benji said:

If you just quickly throw it in the laptop to test and enter the BIOS to see if it is even detected, no, it won't be a problem. That is what I would do to see if it failed.

no luck

16 minutes ago, Benji said:

In that case it might be that your laptop doesn't actually support NVMe drives. Did you have a SATA SSD pre-installed in the system?

no ssd installed, there is just a nvme slot with a label ssd, cpu supports nvme

10 minutes ago, Benji said:

In that case I would assume that it really just supports SATA or is disabled in some machines that only come with HDDs (although I would assume the former), which is really unusual on a modern system.

thank you for your help