The PS4 controller (V2) is the only quality controller local markets have in stock for the foreseeable future. I need a controller, and I don't know if I feel like waiting a full month before I get the chance to buy another one.

I need it for gaming and reading (I use a controller with Xpadder to navigate pages on Acrobat Reader and to highlight text).

Priced at over $60, it is a bit expensive for what I believe should be the cost of a controller, however, that is the price of the Xbox 1 controller as well (were it in stock). So it is not necessarily overpriced for the local market.

If I am to give that kind of money, it would have to be very high quality in order to justify the purchase.

So I have several questions:

- How is its compatibility with Windows? I don't mind using DS4Windows. This will obviously be a determining factor. For that price-range, I would like a controller that does not give me trouble with modern games (Gears of War, Halo MCC, Crysis 3, Mankind Divided, Sekiro, The Witcher 3...)

- Can I use it to emulate the mouse and keyboard functions on the Desktop? This is also a determining factor, it can be with Xpadder or alternative software; as long as it can imitate mouse and keyboard functions.

- How is the track-pad when used in lieu of a mouse? This could be very beneficial and could easily justify the price if it means I can be far away from my desk and still operate the mouse.

- Is the gyroscope good and viable? This might be an interesting feature for which I could see myself paying the extra cash.

A few followup questions would be:

- Is it worth paying double the money I would give for a Logitech F310 if I were to wait a few weeks?

- What is its quality, feel, and performance compared to an Xbox 1 Controller?

I need to know these things before I make the decision. It is not a cheap controller, but some features like the trackpad and the gyroscope (and perhaps the speaker/mic input) could justify the purchase. Above all would be its quality and its use.

Just giving out my experience with third party variants - while functionally I have no had issues, all buttons work, no early failures (none yet had them a few years) there is a stark difference, to me, in button squish/rebound, trigger depth/travel/wobble compared to a OEM controller.  So if you are thinking of getting a good reviewed 3rd party variant like I have done, they work, but are not the original :)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

There are no official drivers... I use the PS3 controller but it can be a pain in the ***. They will work with a 3rd party driver but don't count on official support. Apparently Sony wants you to use the PS controllers on the PS.

16 minutes ago, Katarn said:

- How is its compatibility with Windows? I don't mind using DS4Windows. This will obviously be a determining factor. For that price-range, I would like a controller that does not give me trouble with modern games (Gears of War, Halo MCC, Crysis 3, Mankind Divided, Sekiro, The Witcher 3...)

- Can I use it to emulate the mouse and keyboard functions on the Desktop? This is also a determining factor, it can be with Xpadder or alternative software; as long as it can imitate mouse and keyboard functions.

- How is the track-pad when used in lieu of a mouse? This could be very beneficial and could easily justify the price if it means I can be far away from my desk and still operate the mouse.

- Is the gyroscope good and viable? This might be an interesting feature for which I could see myself paying the extra cash.

A few followup questions would be:

- Is it worth paying double the money I would give for a Logitech F310 if I were to wait a few weeks?

- What is its quality, feel, and performance compared to an Xbox 1 Controller?

I use this regularly because the Xbox controller feels big in my small hands. 

It uses bluetooth, so if you need it for online multiplayer i don't suggest it. but, in PC gaming no controller is good for PvP games. 

It uses bluetooth, so no need for a xbox or third party dongle. it works. 

it does require DS4, but that's actually kind of nice, as it lets you remap buttons. (i flip my L/R1 with my L/R2 for better triggers.)

the track pad works fine.  a light tap is a single click, a hard press is a right click. 

I have not used the gyroscope. I cannot attest to it's usage. 

it's a good value for money if you're used to playing with a DS4 controller. 

quality is fine, but i think all of the console controllers have mushy buttons. even xbox. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

this is only my 2c...

I've used both PS4 and Xbox controlllers on my PC. Once working they both had full functionality, but getting the PS4 controller to work was a pain in the ass, and felt like jumping through hoops, while I had my Xbox controller up and running in a matter of seconds.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 hour ago, Statik said:

this is only my 2c...

I've used both PS4 and Xbox controlllers on my PC. Once working they both had full functionality, but getting the PS4 controller to work was a pain in the ass, and felt like jumping through hoops, while I had my Xbox controller up and running in a matter of seconds.

If you have steam it just works. No hoops to jump through. And you can even use it in non steam games.

Just now, geo3 said:

If you have steam it just works. No hoops to jump through. And you can even use it in non steam games.

The PS4? Since when? Is that recent? I haven't used a PS4 controller in years, but I believe this was probably 3-4 years ago when I was trying to get DS2 going on my PC. It sure didn't just work then ahah. I need to download some 3rd party software

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

2 minutes ago, Statik said:

The PS4? Since when? Is that recent? I haven't used a PS4 controller in years, but I believe this was probably 3-4 years ago when I was trying to get DS2 going on my PC. It sure didn't just work then ahah. I need to download some 3rd party software

PS4, yes. At least 4 years, maybe more.

I have a dualshock 4 even though I do not own or play ps4. I got it for pc use and was relatively disappointed. It works just fine as a standard controller when paired over bluetooth. I never really liked the way it responded or felt to try getting the gyroscope or touch pad functioning. Alot of games with quicktime events dont properly display the playstation prompts either. 

I really didnt want to shell out for an xbox one controller, so I've been using the xbox 360 controller with the official microsoft wireless adapter and it works great.