Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VioDuskar

headphone recommendations for OculusRift S

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've got an Oculus Rift S coming next week and i've heard that the Audio is.... less than immersive? 
That being said, does anyone have any suggestions for headphones that they know fits will over the "Halo" band? 

I've used the old Rift and think the built in headphones were acceptable. I don't need it to be super loud, i prefer good clarity and 5.1 or 7.1 simulated sound for a more immersive experience in VR. 

i've heard that simply using earbuds and plugging them in to the headset or via bluetooth is an easy option, but i don't think it will quite simulate the "surround" feel of the audio properly. 

TL,DR; got a Rift S, need good surround sound headphone suggestions.

Koss PortaPro is never a bad option. Good sound, comfortable, and cheap so you won't feel bad if you want to mod them. "Simulated 5.1 and 7.1" are both marketing nonsense, they've still only got 2 drivers so they'll only be doing what any other 2 driver headphones do, and multi-driver headphones sound awful because all the drivers need to be tiny.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Posted (edited)

Totally forgot about the Koss SportaPro, same headphones but they clip on to your ears go around your neck. Eliminates the need to worry about the headband entirely.

Edited by BobVonBob
Was thinking of a different pair of headphones, point still stands.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

8 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

- "Simulated 5.1 and 7.1" are both marketing nonsense, they've still only got 2 drivers -

I know this, hence I say "Simulated" the actual products market themselves as 5.1 and 7.1 but we all know there aren't 5 or 7 woofers and a subwoofer packed in there. 

but the use of a good driver and supporting software help simulate the surround sound feeling. 

I'm all for bang for buck, but Koss seems kinda... cheap?

16 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

I know this, hence I say "Simulated" the actual products market themselves as 5.1 and 7.1 but we all know there aren't 5 or 7 woofers and a subwoofer packed in there. 

but the use of a good driver and supporting software help simulate the surround sound feeling. 

I'm all for bang for buck, but Koss seems kinda... cheap?

Koss is sorta famous for that, doesn't mean they are bad, just means there is better. Sorta like a ford truck. And i hope you have your garter belt on, because this'll blow your socks off. You can use that software on any headphone, most games already have it built in too.

30 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Koss PortaPro is never a bad option. Good sound, comfortable, and cheap so you won't feel bad if you want to mod them. "Simulated 5.1 and 7.1" are both marketing nonsense, they've still only got 2 drivers so they'll only be doing what any other 2 driver headphones do, and multi-driver headphones sound awful because all the drivers need to be tiny.

In that case would a ksc 75 be more comfortable? Basically the same level of fidelity. Just different sound sig and design. 

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

3 minutes ago, EmoRarity said:

Koss is sorta famous for that, doesn't mean they are bad, just means there is better. Sorta like a ford truck. And i hope you have your garter belt on, because this'll blow your socks off. You can use that software on any headphone, most games already have it built in too.

my socks are still on. I'm also aware of this, but some headphones just do it way better than others.

my logitech g933s did a really good job of it over USB wireless, but the pairing on them sucks and they're 3 ticks away from useless if used with a 3.5mm cable. 

i've got a pair of skullcrusher wireless headphones by skullcandy and i'm seeing reviews say they fit decently over the halo. might give them a try. 

Just now, rice guru said:

In that case would a ksc 75 be more comfortable? Basically the same level of fidelity. Just different sound sig and design. 

Those are the ones I was thinking of! I knew Koss made something like that, I just couldn't remember what it was.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

I would take a look at Tin t2 or the super cheap qkz vk4 their imaging performance is pretty good and the Tins  have decent rear imaging. 

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

16 minutes ago, EmoRarity said:

As much of a fan of koss as I am owning like 4 different sets of cans by them. That build quality literally kills me Everytime I want to use a koss product. 

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

As much of a fan of koss as I am owning like 4 different sets of cans by them. That build quality literally kills me Everytime I want to use a koss product. 

Thats a lot of death my mans. 

3 minutes ago, EmoRarity said:

Thats a lot of death my mans. 

Yep I do get a res putting on beyers and senns as build is generally great

11 hours ago, rice guru said:

Yep I do get a res putting on beyers and senns as build is generally great

I finally get to go home for a day, when im there im going to swap my Sennheisers over for my shures.

4 hours ago, EmoRarity said:

I finally get to go home for a day, when im there im going to swap my Sennheisers over for my shures.

Which senns and which shures? I assume a 280 swapped with a w

Srh 440?