Is there even a good OS in this universe?

1 minute ago, databreach said:

ever heard of playonlinux, proton, wine, lutris (or something idk what its called...... Linus and Antony did a video on this recently and used Manjaro Linux which I'm using rn and pretty happy with it

That is what I was talking about in the below quote:

2 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Does League of Legends run on Linux? (I found out I have to port the thingy code from Windows. LoL is officially not spuuorted)

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

Does Final Cut Pro X have a valid replacement? Does League of Legends run on Linux? (I found out I have to port the thingy code from Linux. LoL is officially not spuuorted)

well there is kden live and DaVinci Resolve

if you want a reply you need to quote or @me 

1 minute ago, databreach said:

DaVinci resolve ? also here are some other alternatives... https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/free-linux-video-editor.html

thats what I ment

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

thats what I ment

what did you mean ? I didn't understand. Also, Linux is far from the 2007 days where there was nothing you could do other than browsing web and programming. Now, you can do about anything and everyone needs to support it right now. Even Microsoft made Teams available on Linux and support the open-source movement by doing really big projects.

Just to answer the question in the title:

no.

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

2 minutes ago, databreach said:

what did you mean ? I didn't understand. Also, Linux is far from the 2007 days where there was nothing you could do other than browsing web and programming. Now, you can do about anything and everyone needs to support it right now. Even Microsoft made Teams available on Linux and support the open-source movement by doing really big projects.

I am actually running Linux right now on my crap Macbook Air. Well Ubuntu does speed some things up at least. Also I meant Da Vin chi Resolve.

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, Red :) said:

Just to answer the question in the title:

no.

Windows is crap.

MacOS is okay if it wasn't hidden behind a wall of crappy products

Linux is the closest to being perfect.

Just now, databreach said:

Windows is crap.

MacOS is okay if it wasn't hidden behind a wall of crappy products

Linux is the closest to being perfect.

Without the problem of: software compatibility. but that is more like "Oh I can't run LoL very well! Oh my nVidia doesn't make drivers for us!" but I will be using AMD (Go team red!) and will port LoL with Wine so all is good. The only bad thing with Linux (at least Ubuntu) it has an outdated interface, but that can be (partially) fixed.

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

Without the problem of: software compatibility. but that is more like "Oh I can't run LoL very well! Oh my nVidia doesn't make drivers for us!" but I will be using AMD (Go team red!) and will port LoL with Wine so all is good. The only bad thing with Linux (at least Ubuntu) it has an outdated interface, but that can be (partially) fixed.

nVidia sure has crap drivers. But they're okay if you're not running crazy games. But yeah, AMD all the way for linux.

Just now, databreach said:

nVidia sure has crap drivers. But they're okay if you're not running crazy games. But yeah, AMD all the way for linux.

Yup.

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

you cab easily pick a different distro like pop os with a better looking interface 

13 minutes ago, adiack said:

you cab easily pick a different distro like pop os with a better looking interface 

just a quick Google (no actually DuckDuckGo but that is the standard word) search yielded me these results: I will using Pop!_OS

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

just a quick Google (no actually DuckDuckGo but that is the standard word) search yielded me these results: I will using Pop!_OS

cool

The problem with the Linux desktop is that X.org is crap. The screen tearing is incredible, at least for me; so much so I've given up on Linux gaming entirely, even for native titles.

The Eight Fallacies of Distributed Computing

Essentially everyone, when they first build a distributed application, makes the following eight assumptions. All prove to be false in the long run and all cause big trouble and painful learning experiences.

1. The network is reliable
  2. Latency is zero
  3. Bandwidth is infinite
  4. The network is secure
  5. Topology doesn’t change
  6. There is one administrator
  7. Transport cost is zero
  8. The network is homogeneous

— Peter Deutsch

1 minute ago, vlads_ said:

The problem with the Linux desktop is that X.org is crap. The screen tearing is incredible, at least for me; so much so I've given up on Linux gaming entirely, even for native titles.

I have to say when using Ubuntu I can notice screen tear so much. Especially on specific websites, like AMD.com, and (I think) Gizmodo.com

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

I have to say when using Ubuntu I can notice screen tear so much. Especially on specific websites, like AMD.com, and (I think) Gizmodo.com

Just now, vlads_ said:

when i re installed pop os this time i did not notice screan tearing that much if at all anymore so they may of fixed it 

i used to be an OS hopper and i just settled for Windows as my daily driver. 

for my laptop needs i looked at what i do with it and decided ChromeOS was fine, since i only perform very light tasks on my laptop and chromebooks are cheap as hell, especially on the used market. 

Windows isn't perfect but it runs everyhting i need and i've configured it to mostly stay out of my way and let me do my stuff. 

ChromeOS isn't perfect but the only thing i do with my laptop is use it for chrome and docs, and ChromeOS can do that. 

as for macOS i was on it for a long long time but i started to hate Apple's hardware so i had to leave it. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, wall03 said:

but does LoL and Minecraft have something for Linux? Does FCPX have an alt?

LoL Currently runs under wine, however the future of their AntiCheat could change this.

Minecraft runs on Java and is natively supported under Linux.

2 hours ago, wall03 said:

Does Final Cut Pro X have a valid replacement? Does League of Legends run on Linux? (I found out I have to port the thingy code from Windows. LoL is officially not spuuorted)

You could look at kdenlive or DaVinci Resolve

1 hour ago, wall03 said:

Outdated interface, I think that will come down to prefrence. I personally Recommend KDE Plasma, very customizable.

Also NVIDIA makes Proprietary Linux Drivers, they are just not on par with AMDGPU.

If you have a AMD Navi Card, I would recommend leaning more towards something like Manjaro or Arch for a more up to date experience. I am not sure how much it will matter for older cards. Mesa does get fixes for DXVK though, those will take alot longer to make it down to something like Ubuntu, I am not sure how PopOS! handles this, I have heard they have their own Graphics Driver repos.

1 hour ago, vlads_ said:

1 hour ago, wall03 said:

Cant speak for NVIDIA, but https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Xorg_configuration

27 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

If you have a AMD Navi Card

WDYM. I will be getting RX 570

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

23 hours ago, wall03 said:

WDYM. I will be getting RX 570

Navi would be the newer AMD Radeon 5000 Series Cards, such as the 5700XT. Those cards get quite a bit of attention still upstream. The 570 may not benefit as much from having upstream mesa, but as stated, mesa does get quite a few dxvk specific fixes, so it could still be worthwhile having a more up to date mesa build.

Mesa is part of the graphics stack / drivers for AMD and Intel.

I play LoL in Linux. It works great and out of the box with Lutris. The only problem I got was that the friends list was not showing up, which was fixed by following a forum thread in Reddit. Linux in my opinion is the best balance you can get between customization, security, privacy,  stability, philosophy, and software support. Everyone has different needs and must choose their OS differently. LoL should work till 2021, or just play Dota 2 which will not loose support anytime soon. Unfortunately, I cannot find the Reddit thread that got the friends list up and running. If anyone runs into the issue, just reply and I will try to find it.

Edit: If you are using an Arch based distro like Manjaro, they have a leagueoflegends helper script in AUR, which I used. Here is the neofetch output of my system. I also have an RX 570 and it runs great. Rocking mostly slightly above 60 fps in GTA 5 with x2 anti-aliasing.

-`                    ansh@DecisiveDoveArchLinuxPC
                  .o+`                   ----------------------------
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64
                `+oooo:                  Host: B450M DS3H
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.6.10-arch1-1
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 3 hours, 5 mins
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1361 (pacman)
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.0.16
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1920x1080
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Xfce
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: compiz
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Adwaita
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2], Adwaita [G
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: oxygen [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: terminator
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (4) @ 3.700GHz
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/570
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Memory: 4898MiB / 7972MiB
 .`                                 `/

Sorry for the bad formating. It happens while copying and pasting from a terminal.

2 minutes ago, DecisiveDove said:

I play LoL in Linux. It works great and out of the box with Lutris. The only problem I got was that the friends list was not showing up, which was fixed by following a forum thread in Reddit. Linux in my opinion is the best balance you can get between customization, security, privacy,  stability, philosophy, and software support. Everyone has different needs and must choose their OS differently. LoL should work till 2021, or just play Dota 2 which will not loose support anytime soon. Unfortunately, I cannot find the Reddit thread that got the friends list up and running. If anyone runs into the issue, just reply and I will try to find it.

thank you

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

27 minutes ago, wall03 said:

thank you

No problem. If you have any questions regarding Linux, feel free to ask ! If you are running Manjaro or something Arch based, I would recommend Timeshift for added stability so if something breaks during an upgrade, you can restore it (although rarely has anything broken in Manjaro for me). Gaming in Linux can be achieved using a combination of Steam, Lutris, and FOSS games from repositories. Although, my warning is that not everything will work perfectly. Have a look at https://www.protondb.com/

and https://lutris.net/

(making sure it does not have a garbage rating).

The performance drop depends on the game. Vulkan games can run almost natively even using a compatibility layer. Some DirectX games have comparable performance in Linux. In some cherry-picked instances, Linux outperformed Windows (which is the exception and not the rule).

In getting a graphics card for Linux, AMD is the way to go because its opensource drivers are extremely good and everything should work without any tweaking with little issues. nVidia is an enemy of open-source.

Kdenlive is a video editor, I would suggest having a look at. GIMP is also a viable alternative for Photoshop, although the workflow is a little different. LibreOffice has a new feature using which you can get Microsoft Office like ribbons or Softmaker FreeOffice is a good proprietary office suite. MS Office365 online is also an option. Blender and Audacity run natively on Linux   uGet is a great alternative for IDM. If you are looking for alternatives, you will most probably find something but do note with any OS, you gain something and you loose something. There is no such thing as an ideal OS (unless it is Arch. I should stop being toxic!). The OS of your choice will be dependent on your needs and what you want to get out of an OS.

winodws 7 is not to bad, fine tunned and debloated with NTLITE + WINREDUCER. 

EVEN my semprom from 2004 runs ok with win7.

3 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

winodws 7 is not to bad, fine tunned and debloated with NTLITE + WINREDUCER. 

EVEN my semprom from 2004 runs ok with win7.

Windows 7 is indeed a good OS but there are security concerns with the lack of updates. Microsoft should have not abandoned Windows 7 but $ > good decisions. Windows 10 is also alright is someone is alright with telemetry and junk.