Can you put holes in the front panel of your case?

Kiexli

Hi all, I have recently ordered some parts for my first pc build, and my first part to arrive is my case, I have a corsair carbide 275R, I have read up a lot about it to see people’s reviews of it before buying it, But i’m seeing some talking about how it’s thermal performance isn’t as good as some due to the front panel restricting air getting to front intake fans, now I have 2 intakes on the front of the case, however i’m curious as a first time builder, is it okay to put any sort of vent holes in the front panel of the case, so the actual panel you take off, not just the front of the case, thanks.

I mean, you could, but wouldn't it be easier and look better if you got a case with a mesh front grill in the first place, like a Meshify C?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Kiexli said:

Hi all, I have recently ordered some parts for my first pc build, and my first part to arrive is my case, I have a corsair carbide 275R, I have read up a lot about it to see people’s reviews of it before buying it, But i’m seeing some talking about how it’s thermal performance isn’t as good as some due to the front panel restricting air getting to front intake fans, now I have 2 intakes on the front of the case, however i’m curious as a first time builder, is it okay to put any sort of vent holes in the front panel of the case, so the actual panel you take off, not just the front of the case, thanks.

I think you're looking for the Corsair Carbide 275R airflow, which already has holes in the front :P 

But in theory, yes you could cut holes. If the case has a steel/aluminum front you could even take it to a shop which has a laser cutter to have them cut neat holes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

I think you're looking for the Corsair Carbide 275R airflow, which already has holes in the front :P 

Ah yeah see the one I have just has a gap along the side, but I will take a look thank you 

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I mean, you could, but wouldn't it be easier and look better if you got a case with a mesh front grill in the first place, like a Meshify C?

Yea but I am on a budget at the moment n just don’t really wanna buy another case, and with the worlds current situation it’s hard to sell a case to someone.

You can always mod your chassis, in fact theres an entire PC subculture dedicated to doing just that (coolermaster even has an annual competition)

Just, don't do things to a case without planning and design first.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

2 minutes ago, Kiexli said:

Yea but I am on a budget at the moment n just don’t really wanna buy another case, and with the worlds current situation it’s hard to sell a case to someone.

I was thinking you could return it.
In any case, I'd try out the case as it is, see how the thermals/noise are, and if you're not satisfied maybe you could do what @minibois suggested and take it to a shop where they could cut some holes with a laser cutter a lot tidier than with regular equipment. What I can't recall though is if the 275R has a metal panel or if it's plastic with just a thin metal layer on the front.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

10 minutes ago, Kiexli said:

If you haven't received it yet, as I think you said it hasn't arrived yet, or maybe you said it just arrived, but either way just cancel the order/return it when it arrives and order something else most online retailers have a 30 day return window. Go for something like the P300A mesh. It's inexpensive and has a decent build quality. 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Case Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $59.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-06 11:11 EDT-0400  

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

50 minutes ago, NZKshatriya said:

You can always mod your chassis, in fact theres an entire PC subculture dedicated to doing just that (coolermaster even has an annual competition)

Just, don't do things to a case without planning and design first.

I appreciate the help , and I shall take your advice on board thank you :)

48 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you haven't received it yet, as I think you said it hasn't arrived yet, or maybe you said it just arrived, but either way just cancel the order/return it when it arrives and order something else most online retailers have a 30 day return window. Go for something like the P300A mesh. It's inexpensive and has a decent build quality. 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Case Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $59.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-06 11:11 EDT-0400  

Yea I will try and return, appreciate the help thank you