GK61 Hotswappable PCB

Go to solution Solved by jiyeon,
21 minutes ago, Morsher said:

5 pin regular Gaterons for example?

I've used 5-pin Gateron Ink Blacks in my GK61 before and the switch wobble is barely noticeable. You won't feel it. There is very little wobble to begin with once the switches are installed.

The GK61 line also uses aluminium plates and I find the plates built-in to be super precise, so any wobble will be mitigated by the excellent plate.

Hi. I'm planning to build a custom keyboard. I like the idea of hotswappable sockets. So whenever i feel like trying out new switches i can just pop them in with no need to solder. But i'm concerned about switch wobble since it's hotswappable. So how noticable is it? I'm currently using Corsair K63. Comparing GK61 to Corsair K63 how much wobble is there?

There's very little if any extra wobble on a hot swap keyboard. The solder on non-hot swap keyboards is for the electrical connection, not for physical stability, and the switches are held in place by the mounting plate, just like they are in a hot swap keyboard.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

There's very little if any extra wobble on a hot swap keyboard. The solder on non-hot swap] keyboards is for the electrical connection, not for physical stability, and the switches are held in place by the mounting plate, just like they are in a hot swap keyboard.

Oh so there's no difference then?

Just now, Morsher said:

Oh so there's no difference then?

Not to key wobble. It may be different because of the different switches you choose to mount, but it won't be because of the mounting method as long as you have a good mounting plate.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Not to key wobble. It may be different because of the different switches you choose to mount, but it won't be because of the mounting method as long as you have a good mounting plate.

21 minutes ago, Morsher said:

I've used 5-pin Gateron Ink Blacks in my GK61 before and the switch wobble is barely noticeable. You won't feel it. There is very little wobble to begin with once the switches are installed.

The GK61 line also uses aluminium plates and I find the plates built-in to be super precise, so any wobble will be mitigated by the excellent plate.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

22 minutes ago, sowon said:

Okay. Thanks.

If you are concerned about switch wobble, consider getting switch films for your switches.

:)