Prerequisite for learning Python?

Ravz

Hello,

My title says it all. Is there anything that I need to learn before I take up Python?

some basic programming and algorithms? if you have no basic awareness of algorithms and logic, you should look into that first, irrespective of what language you choose to learn afterwards.

How to open and use a text editor.

I'd argue you'll have an easier time learning how to program by doing it, rather than reading about programming techniques before you know how a programming language works. Look at more in depth topics like algorithms and their implementation later.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I learned programming by writing a lot of code. There are great books for beginners out there that show you how to get into programming step by step and often tell you something about algorithms on the way.

Depending what you want to use Python for (natural sciences, maths, technology, fun :) ) it might a good idea to look at books specifically tailored towards that field.

Willingness to pull through with a task (exercise, project, whatever) when you don't understand anything and the going gets difficult. Everything else you learn on the go.

23 hours ago, Kon-Tiki said:

I learned programming by writing a lot of code.

This is great and do this too but you can also end up being very experienced in writing bad code. So be aware that you can probably do things in a better way and keep learning.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 5/6/2020 at 5:05 AM, Ravz said:

My title says it all. Is there anything that I need to learn before I take up Python?

Literacy?

Python is commonly used as a first language to be able to introduce basic programming language features, logic, and algorithms. Most worthwhile introductory Python resources are going to include basic programming knowledge as well.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

So as per all the given advice, it seems that algorithms play a vital role. Is there any other programming languages(such as C, C++, Java, etc. which also acts like a base/root programming language) that need to be learnt along with algorithms, so that Python could be much easier to learn?

1 hour ago, Ravz said:

So as per all the given advice, it seems that algorithms play a vital role. Is there any other programming languages(such as C, C++, Java, etc. which also acts like a base/root programming language) that need to be learnt along with algorithms, so that Python could be much easier to learn?

No point in learning other languages just to learn python. Each of the languages have the same level of difficulty for learning. You must understand that you shouldn't be trying to learn python. You should be trying to learn programming. Python is just the tool (or language) to communicate with the pc. The principles of programming and the algorithms are the same in all languages. 

Imagine replacing "programming" with "maths" in your question above. Learning spanish(java) of french(c++) won't help you better do maths(programming) in python(german).

6 hours ago, Ravz said:

Master Python first. You'll just make it harder for yourself if you try to learn C on top of that, it's a completely different beast, Java is yet another different beast from both of those. In regards of language/level of abstraction/technology specifics at least. You'll get lost in the details, you won't be as effective as fast. Python is much faster to get started with. Even if it's not the best language to do things with in the long long run, arguably, I guess that's just an opinion anyway. Since you can have a professional career out of it still.

How to use a computer & google. Suffice to say... if you created your forum account & posted this question yourself, you are qualified to learn to use python. 

Write. Programs. Algorithms don't matter, language doesn't matter. You are just learning, at this point in time the best thing to do is write programs. Python is a great place to start and there is plenty of resources to get you started, here is some from the official website.

The only way you learn to swim is by getting wet, no one starts out by doing the butterfly. Programming is the same, you learn by writing code, no programmer started by writing Fortnite. Are there right ways and wrong ways to do things? sure are, But for now, at the start, you don't need to know why merge sort is good and bubble sort is bad, what on earth "O n" or "O n2" mean, what the hell is GIT. you just need to write programs.

i find this website really interactive and cool. and a great place to learn as it is very visual, they have a bunch of languages and python is one of them.
https://www.codingame.com   

Now that you all have spoken about, you've put some confidence in me to take up Python and have fun with the language itself. Thank you all for your kind words and the valuable time given. Much appreciated.

I've been told to learn how to flowchart and always flowchart a process before typing a single line of code.