Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadowstorm52

Laptop gpu upgrade

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a core i5 7200U layptop with radeon R7 340 (oem) but I checked  it up and I found out that my cpu is actually bottlenecking because of the weak gpu. Should i get a new gpu and if yes what should i get for a reasonable price 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shadowstorm52 said:

I have a core i5 7200U layptop with radeon R7 340 (oem) but I checked  it up and I found out that my cpu is actually bottlenecking because of the weak gpu. Should i get a new gpu and if yes what should i get for a reasonable price 

I dont think so ,U cannot upgrade ur GPU in laptop most of the time

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you have the slim chance that your GPU is on an MXM modue, there is a slim chance you can find a better GPU on an MXM module that is physically compatible with your laptop.

 

or on other words: it's unicorn terretory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you have the slim chance that your GPU is on an MXM modue, there is a slim chance you can find a better GPU on an MXM module that is physically compatible with your laptop.

 

or on other words: it's unicorn terretory.

what do you mean i dont really get it haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, Shreyasb said:

I dont think so ,U cannot upgrade ur GPU in laptop most of the time

aww man i cant connect it from the outside or anything?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shadowstorm52 said:

what do you mean i dont really get it haha

most laptops have the GPU soldered onto the motherboard to save space inside the laptop, some laptops use what is called an "MXM" module, which in essence is a standardised formfactor for laptop GPU's, except that the size and location of the GPU die may differ, and in result the cooling solution in the laptop may not be compatible with every MXM module.

 

on top of that, there's so few devices using MXM modules, and there's so few people upgrading them, that there's a VERY slim market for selling MXM modules to end users. as a result, finding them sold as individual units is not easy, and usually not price-competitive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shadowstorm52 said:

what do you mean i dont really get it haha

It means some laptops(mostly high end) have GPU in MXM module which be upgraded but most of laptops have GPU soldered in the mono so 

 

MXM module are used in dell laptops (alien ware ) correct me if iam wrong 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shadowstorm52 said:

aww man i cant connect it from the outside or anything?

Ya u can but u should have thunderbolt port support

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Shreyasb said:

Ya u can but u should have thunderbolt port support

damn i don't have any of those i think mine is just a normal  dell inspiron laptop with 3 usb ports a hdmi port ethernet connection and an odd

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shadowstorm52 said:

damn i don't have any of those i think mine is just a normal  dell inspiron laptop with 3 usb ports a hdmi port ethernet connection and an odd

Then there is no way that I know of to connect an external GPU bro 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Shreyasb said:

Then there is no way that I know of to connect an external GPU bro 

dang but thanks for the help man appreaciate it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×