Rendering Shuttle PC

MzCatieB

So I am interested in building a small Shuttle PC for rendering 3d animations in 3DS and Maya.

Does Anyone have any suggestions?

I need a workstation GPU like a Nvidia Quadro or AMD Firepro but I am not sure on what to do with the Motherboard and CPU cause I would normally do a larger PC on a server motherboard with Duel CPU's but iv recently moved to a smaller place and I don't have the room for it any more.

Character artist in the Games industry.

You can get any CPU and Motherboard combo honestly... 3770K oc it, works great for rendering.

Xeons are considered to be more "stable" if you're going to use it as a renderbox 24/7

● Thermaltake Core P5 ● ASUS Z170-A ● Intel Core i7-6700k 
● EK Supremacy EVO ● 2x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 
● EVGA GTX 770 ● Samsung 850 EVO 250GB ● XFX 750W Black Edition PSU

Well there are no m-atx boards or m-itx boards that support lga 2011 xeons (I just looked), so I would advise something like a rampage IV Gene and a 3930k or a 3970x if you have a lot of money to throw around and want the extra 5-10%, and for a gpu, look at something like a quadro k5000 *if* you have the money to throw around

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

A 3770K is LGA1155.. but okay..

● Thermaltake Core P5 ● ASUS Z170-A ● Intel Core i7-6700k 
● EK Supremacy EVO ● 2x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 
● EVGA GTX 770 ● Samsung 850 EVO 250GB ● XFX 750W Black Edition PSU

Shuttle is actually a brand. They use their own boards and their own formfactor.

Since you would have gone for a dual cpu system, LGA2011 is probably the right choice. Either you buy a Shuttle-PC from Shuttle or you go for a µATX system. A real Shuttle-PC is probably smaller, louder and hotter than a µATX system.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

Shuttle is actually a brand. They use their own boards and their own formfactor.

Since you would have gone for a dual cpu system, LGA2011 is probably the right choice. Either you buy a Shuttle-PC from Shuttle or you go for a µATX system. A real Shuttle-PC is probably smaller, louder and hotter than a µATX system.

And no crossposting please, it's just annoying.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

In all honesty, after watching Linus's video from CES over the 900D, i am very tempted to make a new Production Desktop then make a smaller form factor Rendering machine using a 600T or a vulcan

Character artist in the Games industry.

For the motherboard, you could probably go with either an ASUS Maximus V Gene, or you could go with a Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3. For the processor, I would suggest the i7 3770k as it has Hyper Threading, which is great for rendering.

• 5 years later...

id say buy a barebones unit from amazon for 300-400 dollars, sell the chassis and or rebuild in a new case. they have nice dual cpu servers on there...