Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdityaSingh

Dual Channel or Quad Channel ?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey there!. So I am running dual channel 8 GB DDR3 799MHz memory. I want to upgrade to 16 GB system memory. What would be the best option, should I throw another 2 sticks of 4 GB (if so, does these new sticks should have same speed as previous ones that's 799MHz) or 2 sticks of 8 GB ?

2 minutes ago, AdityaSingh said:

Hey there!. So I am running dual channel 8 GB DDR3 799MHz memory. I want to upgrade to 16 GB system memory. What would be the best option, should I throw another 2 sticks of 4 GB (if so, does these new sticks should have same speed as previous ones that's 799MHz) or 2 sticks of 8 GB ?

im pretty sure your motherboard wotn support quad channel so go with 2x sticks

|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.       USA partpicker lists for different budgets:Partpicker (1).pdf

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NJ6kzN

Read this: 

Partpicker (1).pdf

Unless your motherboard supports quad channel (unlikely for consumer grade), you'll still be running in dual channel mode, even with four sticks of RAM

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

DDR4 RAM won't work in a system designed to run DDR3. Frequency wise you have two options: Either buy two more sticks with 4 GB each at the same frequency you are already running at (saving you the money for 8 GB as you can continue using your current memory; you won't run quad channel, though). Or you buy two new sticks of DDR3 RAM with the highest frequency your mainboard supports.

3 minutes ago, AdityaSingh said:

Ahh I see. So what speeds should I pick and can I put DDR4 ?

Your motherboard supports DDR3 RAM, not DDR4, you can't put DDR4 RAM sticks. Buy 2x8 sticks of DDR3 1600MHz, since 1600MHz is the max for DDR3, make sure your motherboard supports up to 1600MHz, otherwise you'll have to go with lower speeds of RAM.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC