Quietest/Most Efficient PSU

What are the most efficient and quietest power supplies at 850w?

Most efficient PSUs are any 80+ titanium, the differences between them are too small to be noticeable. Quietest is probably anything with a mode that turns off the fan, like a Seasonic PRIME or Be Quiet PSU. Although if you really want silent and can get away with a 600w PSU Seasonic has a totally fanless 600w out there.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

What do you want. Most efficient or quietest? If you want the quietest and most efficient PSU at an 850W load, that would be the AX1600i

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Quietest is probably anything with a mode that turns off the fan, like a Seasonic PRIME or Be Quiet PSU

Seasonic cheaps out on their fan, so it has an annoying ticking noise at low RPM. Be Quiet's PSUs are not very quiet at medium-high loads, and their fans don't turn off, instead spinning at a low RPM.

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What do you want. Most efficient or quietest? If you want the quietest and most efficient PSU at an 850W load, that would be the AX1600i

Seasonic cheaps out on their fan, so it has an annoying ticking noise at low RPM. Be Quiet's PSUs are not very quiet at medium-high loads, and their fans don't turn off, instead spinning at a low RPM.

What about the Corsair HX850 Platinum?

1 minute ago, Premsanity said:

What about it?

:)

Has Zero RPM fan mode AND doesn't have a fan with an annoying clicking mode at low RPMs.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What about it?

Just was wondering about the reliability, and how quiet it is. I can deal with some noise but if I’m gonna hear it constantly I don’t want to spend money on something that’s just going to annoy me. Kinda how this generation consoles do.

What are your system specs ? If it's just a gaming PC, you're not gonna hear pretty much any PSU with zero-RPM mode, even 550W ones.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

What are your system specs ? If it's just a gaming PC, you're not gonna hear pretty much any PSU with zero-RPM mode, even 550W ones.

CPU: Intel i9 9900k 

Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix 

Cooler: Corsair H115 
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32Gb

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

Video Card: EVGA 2080 ti ftw3 Ultra 

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox K500

Just now, Premsanity said:

It’s gaming, college/work. I may get into streaming/YT just not right away 

Get 650\750W PSU then. Where you are from ?

Just now, Juular said:

US, NY

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

If you recommend 750w, what are some good ones?  Just want something somewhat quiet, reliable, and won’t overheat.

2 minutes ago, Premsanity said:

US, NY

Phanteks AMP - 115$, should be quiet under gaming load.

Corsair RMx - 145$, quiet almost on entire load range but probably doesn't worth the price difference

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Corsair RMx - 145$, quiet almost on entire load range but probably doesn't worth the price difference

What about corsairs hx750? Money isn’t a problem for me under $300 is good 

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Obviously I’m going to save if I can but I was preferring a platinum certified. That’s why I ask

3 minutes ago, Premsanity said:

What about corsairs hx750? Money isn’t a problem for me under $300 is good 

No reason.

If you really want to spend some 100$ more for smth that would at lest make some difference then you could get NZXT E or Corsair HX perhaps, they're multi-rail, and NZXT one is digital one at that (controllable by software) but i don't see the point in spending so much money on what you don't need.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

No reason.

If you really want to spend some 100$ more for smth that would at lest make some difference then you could get NZXT E or Corsair HX perhaps, they're multi-rail, and NZXT one is digital one at that (controllable by software) but i don't see the point in spending so much money on what you don't need.

I know what you’re saying, I’m new to this I am just trying to understand everything. So what is the difference between Gold and Platinum then? 

No reason.

I just don’t want to buy something I am going to regret with the amount of money I am putting in as it is. 

I know what you’re saying, I’m new to this I am just trying to understand everything. So what is the difference between Gold and Platinum then? 

3% efficiency boost ? Or if you're asking what's the difference between NZXT E and Corsair HX, as i said, NZXT one has digital control interface, you can monitor it and flick some switches in the software it comes with, but that's like, not worth paying 100$ for. The fact that they're both multirail would've worth it if you had very expensive multi-GPU setup but in that case 850W would've been a bit too low anyway.

2 minutes ago, Premsanity said:

I just don’t want to buy something I am going to regret with the amount of money I am putting in as it is. 

Those ain't your run in the mill cheap options, including first two i mentioned, they're perfectly good. In fact if you weren't asking for quiet options there are some cheaper perfectly good but not very quiet options too but if you want quiet go for Phanteks AMP (which is Seasonic Focus) or Corsair RMx since they're cheapest.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

3% efficiency boost ? Or if you're asking what's the difference between NZXT E and Corsair HX, as i said, NZXT one has digital control interface, you can monitor it and flick some switches in the software it comes with, but that's like, not worth paying 100$ for. The fact that they're both multirail would've worth it if you had very expensive multi-GPU setup but in that case 850W would've been a bit too low anyway.

Those ain't your run in the mill cheap options, including first two i mentioned, they're perfectly good. In fact if you weren't asking for quiet options there are some cheaper perfectly good but not very quiet options too but if you want quiet go for Phanteks AMP (which is Seasonic Focus) or Corsair RMx since they're cheapest.

Alright I will look into them. The reason I brought this up is I have a PS4 and I’ve put 2000+ hrs in Rainbow Six Siege and it sounds like my PS4 is gonna to a off into outer space lol I don’t want the same problem with my pc.

8 minutes ago, Premsanity said:

Alright I will look into them. The reason I brought this up is I have a PS4 and I’ve put 2000+ hrs in Rainbow Six Siege and it sounds like my PS4 is gonna to a off into outer space lol I don’t want the same problem with my pc.

No, it not going to be like that unless your GPU would be a source of the noise.

Here are some data :

- Phanteks AMP 750W -

khQj9thVkpyzJRs2JBS37a-650-80.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phanteks-amp-series-750w-power-supply/2

- Corsair RMx 750W -

xZrz7tdPYiHVjn36SAzXAW-650-80.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585-5.html

Anything sub 25dBa can be considered quiet and your system would pull no more than 400W in gaming.

No, it not going to be like that unless your GPU would be a source of the noise.

Here are some data :

- Phanteks AMP 750W -

khQj9thVkpyzJRs2JBS37a-650-80.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phanteks-amp-series-750w-power-supply/2

- Corsair RMx 750W -

xZrz7tdPYiHVjn36SAzXAW-650-80.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585-5.html

Anything sub 25dBa can be considered quiet and your system would pull no more than 400W in gaming.

Alright man thanks for the help I appreciate it