Upgrades! Upgrades! Why are upgrades stressfull??

GenericFanboy

Alrighty hi, Been dead for like.. 2 months. Mostly because i usually only go on LTT while i'm at work. But you know. Kinda cant anymore so..

Anyway. I've been looking to upgrade for a while now. While also not spending too much. I'm buying a new monitor arm so i can have 2 monitors instead of 1 (already have 1 extra laying around, just didnt have a stand for it.) But, I'm currently gaming on a laptop. Yesyes i know, disgracefull. I have a pc with a ryzen 5 2400G and no videocard. 

Someone is selling a Asus ROG STRIX Radeon RX 580 8GB GAMING OC for sale for 180 euro's plus shipping. Is this a good upgrade over the 1050 i'm currently running? And should i even upgrade? Or should i find something else.

Please and thank you

Edit: 420th post lol

Edited by GenericFanboy
Heh

The 580 would probably give you about 50-75% more fps than your 1050. In other words yeah it's a pretty solid upgrade, but look around for a 1660 Super or 1660 Ti, they should be in the same price range and are about 10% faster than that. Although given the state of things the MSRP may not be quite accurate.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

The 580 would probably give you about 50-75% more fps than your 1050. In other words yeah it's a pretty solid upgrade, but look around for a 1660 Super or 1660 Ti, they should be in the same price range and are about 10% faster than that. Although given the state of things the MSRP may not be quite accurate.

Had a quick look, I'd need to buy 1 new. No second hand offers. Looking to not spend too much seeing as i honestly dont play much more than Overwatch, apex and minecraft. 

6 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

Alrighty hi, Been dead for like.. 2 months. Mostly because i usually only go on LTT while i'm at work. But you know. Kinda cant anymore so..

-snip-

Edit: 420th post lol

if you're getting a great deal on it maybe. 

upgrades are stressful because they cost hard earned money and require tough decisions to navigate "skill tree" of hardware

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

4 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

if you're getting a great deal on it maybe. 

upgrades are stressful because they cost hard earned money and require tough decisions to navigate "skill tree" of hardware

I mean, 180 euros compared to the usual price of 260~ euro's 

https://tweakers.net/aanbod/2326794/asus-rog-strix-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gaming-oc-met-garantie.html 

12 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

Someone is selling a Asus ROG STRIX Radeon RX 580 8GB GAMING OC for sale for 180 euro's plus shipping. Is this a good upgrade over the 1050 i'm currently running? And should i even upgrade? Or should i find something else.

That's a high price for a used RX 580, depending on where you live you can get a GTX 1650 Super for around 160$ new while having slightly better performance.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, Syn. said:

That's a high price for a used RX 580, depending on where you live you can get a GTX 1650 Super for around 160$ new while having slightly better performance.

Hmmm, Let me have a look at that. Thanks 

More options always allowed :D

2 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

I mean, 180 euros compared to the usual price of 260~ euro's 

The RX 580 is a decent upgrade from a 1050.

But 180eur seems to me a bit expensive for a used card but I guess that depends on where you live. 

I bought a RX580 (4GB) for 100eur last year for my kids PC. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

If you're gonna look at used cards, maybe check with GTX 1070? Less premium models most likely (so not Strix or something comparable)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

https://www.alternate.nl/INNO3D/GeForce-GTX-1650-Super-Twin-X2-OC-grafische-kaart/html/product/1598097?event=search 

I quite like numbers, How does this model compare to the rx 580? Its the same price as the one offered second hand.

Never heard of such a brand named "INNO3D" so I don't know whether that card model is good or not. I'd get the RX 580 from ASUS you just posted. Besides the RX 580 is more powerful than the GTX 1650S, it's just not as efficient as their Nvidia counterparts.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

Just now, F.E.A.R. said:

Never heard of such a brand named "INNO3D" so I don't know whether that card model is good or not. I'd get the RX 580 from ASUS you just posted. Besides the RX 580 is more powerful than the GTX 1650S, it's just not as efficient as their Nvidia counterparts.

And you my sir, Threw me in a spiral. 

Which is better. I'm getting 2 different answers now :( @Syn. Whats your take on this?

3 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

Which is better. I'm getting 2 different answers now :( @Syn. Whats your take on this?

The RX 580 is good value card and a lot worth to upgrade over the GTX 1050, it's a very good 1080p gaming card, it's just not as quiet and power efficient as the GTX 1650S. I was just checking the site you just posted, if you could afford to spend 184.90€ for the GTX 1650S ZOTAC Twin, than that would be the best choice, since it's a lot quieter and more power efficient than the RX 580.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

2 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

The RX 580 is good value card and a lot worth to upgrade over the GTX 1050, it's a very good 1080p gaming card, it's just not as quiet and power efficient as the GTX 1650S. I was just checking the site you just posted, if you could afford to spend 184.90€ for the GTX 1650S ZOTAC Twin, than that would be the best choice, since it's a lot quieter and more power efficient than the RX 580.

I am able to spend that yeah, Seems like a good card to me :D 

Any other last words? 

(incoming post about psu's too!)

42 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

I am able to spend that yeah, Seems like a good card to me :D 

Any other last words? 

(incoming post about psu's too!)

Nothing, unless you could post your full specs too see if you have anything to upgrade in the future. Don't know what PSU you have since you didn't mention, but a cheap 500-600W non-modular 80+ bronze PSU would be great.

2 hours ago, GenericFanboy said:

The GTX 1650 Super is the better card due to it's higher efficiency, both of the cards trade blows in terms of performance depending on the game so I don't think you'd be losing anything by going with the 1650S, it's mostly that the quieter operation and lower power consumption that make it worthwhile, not to mention better drivers on NVIDIA, since AMD has been going downhill lately with their drivers.

I agree to go with the ZOTAC version rather the INNO3D, but the latter brand has been standing for years, it's not an unknown or inferior brand, it's just the ZOTAC offers a better card for this price point.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.