Chrome Notifications

smnhdy
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

It's been suggested to the forum software devs several times, but they have been unwilling to implement it because push notifications are not supported iOS. Instead you have to leave a tab open for the in-browser notifications to work.

any chance to enable chrome notifications when posts are make to your thread?

Would be very handy, especially on mobile.

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

They should already be available, if you have enabled them from your browser and profile. You can check your notification settings from here https://linustechtips.com/main/notifications/options/

I think this is just the notifications in the top right of the site no? It doesn't notify you unless you're signed in and on the site Joe?

1 minute ago, smnhdy said:

I think this is just the notifications in the top right of the site no? It doesn't notify you unless you're signed in and on the site Joe?

I don't use Chrome on any platform, so I can't say for sure. On desktop Firefox I need to have site open to get notification. On mobile I need to have browser open as process to get them. Doesn't need to be on site. Though its currently having some issues, but i think its more about Androids aggressive battery saving thing than actually site or Firefox being issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I don't use Chrome on any platform, so I can't say for sure. On desktop Firefox I need to have site open to get notification. On mobile I need to have browser open as process to get them. Doesn't need to be on site. Though its currently having some issues, but i think its more about Androids aggressive battery saving thing than actually site or Firefox being issue.

Yeah that's cool. So this i get already... but lots of site can use chrome for push notifications...

Floatplane has this already for when new videos are posted... just hoping thyme can enable this on the forum

The site already works with giving notifications on desktop Chrome (I just tried it out). Not sure about mobile Chrome.

For desktop Chrome I have been using this extension for years now:

(which I believe is not being developed anymore).

It gives you a little icon in your Chrome topbar and just displays if you have notifications or not (there is a FireFox alternative linked in that thread too)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 minutes ago, minibois said:

The site already works with giving notifications on desktop Chrome (I just tried it out). Not sure about mobile Chrome.

For desktop Chrome I have been using this extension for years now:

(which I believe is not being developed anymore).

It gives you a little icon in your Chrome topbar and just displays if you have notifications or not (there is a FireFox alternative linked in that thread too)

Mobile is the one I'm looking for.

If it's not there... that's life. But it's a nice to have for sure.

17 minutes ago, minibois said:

(there is a FireFox alternative linked in that thread too)

Mortis stopped developing that pretty soon after he was given full forum dev position. Plus it wouldn't work on Quantum anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's been suggested to the forum software devs several times, but they have been unwilling to implement it because push notifications are not supported iOS. Instead you have to leave a tab open for the in-browser notifications to work.

HTTP/2 203

4 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Well that's the dumbest logic ever...

You don't "not" develop a feature just because one platform doesn't support it.... if it broke support for uses on that platform sure... but it doesn't....

Sounds like a lazy excuse to me.

12 minutes ago, smnhdy said:

Well that's the dumbest logic ever...

You don't "not" develop a feature just because one platform doesn't support it.... if it broke support for uses on that platform sure... but it doesn't....

Sounds like a lazy excuse to me.

Agreed 🙁

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

forum software devs

I thought you were the dev for the forum???

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

5 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

I thought you were the dev for the forum???

We use an off-the-shelf forum software, Invision Community, and a feature like this is not something that can be realistically added by me because it requires changes in a bunch of places that are not particularly easy to modify. There are a lot of changes that we have made to the base forum software though, and I do maintain those.

HTTP/2 203