Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
School Appropriate

Do I have to re-install windows every time I upgrade?

If you're running Windows 10 it should take the upgrade w/o issue.

You should however go in and manually uninstall any drivers like chipset, ethernet, and audio, and then just install the drivers corresponding to the hardware you upgrade to! :)

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to upgrade my current system in the near future, is there a way you can migrate an OS but all the registry values too so I don't have to go around re-installing everything? Like something that just transfers all the files, but ditches the drivers and motherboard chipset stuff?

Posted · Best Answer

You should however go in and manually uninstall any drivers like chipset, ethernet, and audio, and then just install the drivers corresponding to the hardware you upgrade to! :)

widget.png?style=banner2

Gaming Rig3900X, 32GB 3600MHz TridentZ, ROG 2080 Ti, 2*4TB Black, 1TB MP600

NAS: E5-2670v3, 48GB ECC, 76TB of HDD's: 3*4TB + 2*8TB + 4*12TB, 500GB 850 Evo Cache

If you're changing motherboards you should do a clean install.

If not, no it's not necessary.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

Ah okay, that makes sense. I am running windows 10, my current system is old, Asus Maximus 6 with i7 4770, I was going to upgrade when the ryzen 4000 5nm CPUs came out. so when the time comes, if I uninstall the chipset drivers, I should be fine using the new system without re-installing windows?

31 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If you're changing motherboards you should do a clean install.

If not, no it's not necessary.

I will have to change motherboards, because I want to go from an i7 4770 to one of the Ryzen 4000 5nm CPUs when they come out.

It depends on what you are upgrading. If you have windows on a boot drive and you install that drive on your new motherboard it should work. As long as the system is not connected to power when you remove the drive and the drive is is uninstalled properly you shouldn't have any corrupted data that would require a fresh install of your OS.

4 hours ago, School Appropriate said:

Ah okay, that makes sense. I am running windows 10, my current system is old, Asus Maximus 6 with i7 4770, I was going to upgrade when the ryzen 4000 5nm CPUs came out. so when the time comes, if I uninstall the chipset drivers, I should be fine using the new system without re-installing windows?

I will have to change motherboards, because I want to go from an i7 4770 to one of the Ryzen 4000 5nm CPUs when they come out.

don't worry about reinstalling.   The biggest issue you'll have is if your current windows license is an oem license.   After a week it'll start telling you you need to activate and buy a new key.  It will still work perfectly fine though so definitely no need to re-install the OS.  Maybe just the odd 3rd party driver. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.