Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bakchyl

Build feedback and improvement suggestions wanted

Just now, Bakchyl said:

Thanks for the suggestion, some clarifications on my requirements though:

 

- I need the board to either have WiFi onboard or to use a PCIe card for it

- The 32 GB RAM are required, can't down that to 16GB

- No HDD needed, if I ever need one I have a few laying around

- The 2080 Super seems overkill for 1440p 60fps; I'm okay with medium-high settings, gaming really is more of a bonus for the system. I'd rather go with a 2060 super and spend part of what I saved on the Meshify C Dark + a better PSU/Cooling

 

Maybe something like this

 

this is pretty good build. you wont need other than the stock cooler. the stock cooler is decent but its pretty loud.

Get the fogus G instead of meshify C. its cheaper

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm currently in the process of building a new PC and feedback/improvement suggestions on the build would be much appreciated.

 

1. Budget & Location
Budget is somewhat flexible, should stay under 1500€. Location is Germany.

2. Aim

The PC is intended to be my new development machine; Will also be used to run VMs and for Deep Learning with small to medium size datasets - anything big will go to GCP anyway.

Additionally it would be great if it was able to handle games in 1440p/60+fps.

3. Monitors

Two 1440p monitors atm, thinking about getting a third - more screen space never hurt nobody.

4. Peripherals

Peripherals are not needed.

 

 

Thanks in advance for any input

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

Better NVMe, GPU and memory. Kkinda same motherboard, you don't need such a big PSU, the AMP is enough. Removed thermal paste as it makes no difference and the fans since stock is already very good.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

Join the Folding team
My F@H stats

 

PC1 :

CPU : Intel i7-8700K | Cooling : Noctua NH-U14S / Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax x4 and NF-F12 PWM chromax x3 

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 / Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 | Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466MHz CL16

Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD / Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe | Case : Phanteks Eclipse P600S PSU : Corsair HX850W 

Monitor : Samsung C27FG73 | Keyboard : Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Mouse : Logitech G903 

Sound : Logitech Z623 (speakers) / Logitech G432 (headset)

 

PC 2 :

CPU : AMD R5 3600 | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite 

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16GB 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD 

Case : Fractal Design Meshify S2 | PSU : Corsair CX550W Monitor : AOC 24B1XHS

Keyboard and Mouse : Logitech MK270 combo Sound : Logitech Z200 (speakers)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking pretty good. A slight upgrade to the GPU would keep games running at 1440p60 for a longer time, since from what I can tell the 1660 super is only barely hitting that in new games. I wouldn't normally suggest an NVMe drive since the extra capacity of a similarly priced SATA drive would be better for the average person, but given your stated use case I think the latency benefits of NVMe would be a better fit.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

 

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Meganter said:

Better NVMe

Still QLC PCIe 3.0 x4, how so?

 

42 minutes ago, Bakchyl said:

Additionally it would be great if it was able to handle games in 1440p/60+fps.

1660S wont be enough for that unless you play older games

Cheaper cooler for more cooling

board with built-in WiFi

Faster memory

TLC PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD

Good enough card for 1440p in modern gaes

Cheaper mesh front case

Higher wattage PSU to hold upgrades

Cheaper case fans with most of the performance of the Silentwings. There are also gray variants (CO) of the same fans at 7.5 euros.


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Still QLC PCIe 3.0 x4, how so?

Well the reviews I have read said it's a better QLC than P1 or 660p and since it's cheaper than the P1 he selected :P


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

Join the Folding team
My F@H stats

 

PC1 :

CPU : Intel i7-8700K | Cooling : Noctua NH-U14S / Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax x4 and NF-F12 PWM chromax x3 

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 / Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 | Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466MHz CL16

Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD / Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe | Case : Phanteks Eclipse P600S PSU : Corsair HX850W 

Monitor : Samsung C27FG73 | Keyboard : Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Mouse : Logitech G903 

Sound : Logitech Z623 (speakers) / Logitech G432 (headset)

 

PC 2 :

CPU : AMD R5 3600 | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite 

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16GB 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD 

Case : Fractal Design Meshify S2 | PSU : Corsair CX550W Monitor : AOC 24B1XHS

Keyboard and Mouse : Logitech MK270 combo Sound : Logitech Z200 (speakers)

Link to post
Share on other sites

|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.

Read this: 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

First of all thanks for the answers.

 

7 hours ago, Meganter said:

Better NVMe, GPU and memory. Kkinda same motherboard, you don't need such a big PSU, the AMP is enough. Removed thermal paste as it makes no difference and the fans since stock is already very good.

- I'm not sure how the Sabrent Rocket is a better NVMe, it's still QLC, barely has better read/write speeds, can't find information on IOPS and it's 15€ more than the P1

- While I would have most likely chosen a 5700 (XT) , Deep Learning Frameworks require CUDA cores which forces me to get an Nvidia card (CUDA support over ROCm is iffy at best afaik)

- The board is effectively the same, except that it lacks the USB-C port I'd like to have

- I'm not sure about that PSU there, you say I don't need such a big one, then link one that's still 550W for basically the same price, now you have me confused

 

8 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

A slight upgrade to the GPU would keep games running at 1440p60 for a longer time, since from what I can tell the 1660 super is only barely hitting that in new games.

- Yeah I wasn't too sure about that GPU, would something like the Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Mini (cheapest 2060 Super I can get) be better suited?

 

7 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

1660S wont be enough for that unless you play older games

 

Cheaper cooler for more cooling

board with built-in WiFi

Faster memory

TLC PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD

Good enough card for 1440p in modern gaes

Cheaper mesh front case

Higher wattage PSU to hold upgrades

Cheaper case fans with most of the performance of the Silentwings. There are also gray variants (CO) of the same fans at 7.5 euros.

- The GPU probably needs to be upgraded, I agree, but the DL Frameworks limit me to Nvidia Cards with CUDA cores

- The board with WIFI makes sense, but the site says the board supports max DDR4-3466 - is DDR4-3600 useful with that board?

- Not sure if I'm gonna benefit from TLC because I don't generally have workloads with sustained writes but in that price bracket I could get a 970 EVO 1TB for 7€ more and would probably prefer that over a Silicon Power (never heard of them until now)

- The Meshify C Dark is 10€ more and (to me) looks much better so I'd rather go for that

- I intend to wait for Ryzen 5000 before I upgrade again and will probably also upgrade the PSU at that point

- I should have probably mentioned that I want the PC to be quiet! (sorry about that 😁); The PC should be reasonably silent and I'm willing to pay a premium for that. The "be quiet!" stuff is on the pricey side but does offer good cooling without much noise. Also about the CPU cooler, you linked a dual tower cooler, should i go for a dark rock pro 4 over the dark rock 4? And I've never used a dual tower cooler before, do i just use a y-cable splitter and hook up both fans to the CPU fan header?

 

This is where I'm currently at, the Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply is kinda hard to get apparently, the PSU availability is not great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bakchyl said:

- I'm not sure how the Sabrent Rocket is a better NVMe, it's still QLC, barely has better read/write speeds, can't find information on IOPS and it's 15€ more than the P1

- While I would have most likely chosen a 5700 (XT) , Deep Learning Frameworks require CUDA cores which forces me to get an Nvidia card (CUDA support over ROCm is iffy at best afaik)

- The board is effectively the same, except that it lacks the USB-C port I'd like to have

- I'm not sure about that PSU there, you say I don't need such a big one, then link one that's still 550W for basically the same price, now you have me confused

- Well it's 10€ less so I don't know why you say it's 15€ more, so for the same performance it's better.

- Fair enough.

- Didn't know that.

- Mine is 20€ less for the same performance, you don't really need more than 550W too.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

Join the Folding team
My F@H stats

 

PC1 :

CPU : Intel i7-8700K | Cooling : Noctua NH-U14S / Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax x4 and NF-F12 PWM chromax x3 

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 / Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 | Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466MHz CL16

Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD / Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe | Case : Phanteks Eclipse P600S PSU : Corsair HX850W 

Monitor : Samsung C27FG73 | Keyboard : Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Mouse : Logitech G903 

Sound : Logitech Z623 (speakers) / Logitech G432 (headset)

 

PC 2 :

CPU : AMD R5 3600 | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite 

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16GB 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD 

Case : Fractal Design Meshify S2 | PSU : Corsair CX550W Monitor : AOC 24B1XHS

Keyboard and Mouse : Logitech MK270 combo Sound : Logitech Z200 (speakers)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Meganter said:

- Well it's 10€ less so I don't know why you say it's 15€ more, so for the same performance it's better.

- Mine is 20€ less for the same performance, you don't really need more than 550W too.

I'm gonna assume you're not looking at prices for Germany, because the cheapest Sabrent Rocket 1TB I can get is 120€ while the cheapest P1 1TB I can get is 105€, hence the 15€ more. And for the PSU I'm looking at 96€ for yours and 101€ for mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bakchyl said:

I'm gonna assume you're not looking at prices for Germany, because the cheapest Sabrent Rocket 1TB I can get is 120€ while the cheapest P1 1TB I can get is 105€, hence the 15€ more. And for the PSU I'm looking at 96€ for yours and 101€ for mine.

I used PCP Germany ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

Join the Folding team
My F@H stats

 

PC1 :

CPU : Intel i7-8700K | Cooling : Noctua NH-U14S / Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax x4 and NF-F12 PWM chromax x3 

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 / Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 | Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466MHz CL16

Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD / Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe | Case : Phanteks Eclipse P600S PSU : Corsair HX850W 

Monitor : Samsung C27FG73 | Keyboard : Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Mouse : Logitech G903 

Sound : Logitech Z623 (speakers) / Logitech G432 (headset)

 

PC 2 :

CPU : AMD R5 3600 | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite 

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16GB 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD 

Case : Fractal Design Meshify S2 | PSU : Corsair CX550W Monitor : AOC 24B1XHS

Keyboard and Mouse : Logitech MK270 combo Sound : Logitech Z200 (speakers)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Meganter said:

I used PCP Germany ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah well that's fair i guess, but the prices are so far off from what you would actually pay idk where PCP is getting their price data from

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bakchyl said:

Yeah well that's fair i guess, but the prices are so far off from what you would actually pay idk where PCP is getting their price data from

Well atm I'd say it's pretty fucky because of the wall situation, otherwise it's more accurate :/


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

Join the Folding team
My F@H stats

 

PC1 :

CPU : Intel i7-8700K | Cooling : Noctua NH-U14S / Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax x4 and NF-F12 PWM chromax x3 

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 / Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 | Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3466MHz CL16

Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD / Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe | Case : Phanteks Eclipse P600S PSU : Corsair HX850W 

Monitor : Samsung C27FG73 | Keyboard : Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Mouse : Logitech G903 

Sound : Logitech Z623 (speakers) / Logitech G432 (headset)

 

PC 2 :

CPU : AMD R5 3600 | Cooling : Noctua NH-U12S GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite 

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16GB 3200MHz CL16 | Storage : Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD 

Case : Fractal Design Meshify S2 | PSU : Corsair CX550W Monitor : AOC 24B1XHS

Keyboard and Mouse : Logitech MK270 combo Sound : Logitech Z200 (speakers)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bakchyl said:

Yeah well that's fair i guess, but the prices are so far off from what you would actually pay idk where PCP is getting their price data from

 

for 1500 euros you could get this: 

 


|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.

Read this: 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
36 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Thanks for the suggestion, some clarifications on my requirements though:

 

- I need the board to either have WiFi onboard or to use a PCIe card for it

- The 32 GB RAM are required, can't down that to 16GB

- No HDD needed, if I ever need one I have a few laying around

- The 2080 Super seems overkill for 1440p 60fps; I'm okay with medium-high settings, gaming really is more of a bonus for the system. I'd rather go with a 2060 super and spend part of what I saved on the Meshify C Dark + a better PSU/Cooling

 

Maybe something like this

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
Just now, Bakchyl said:

Thanks for the suggestion, some clarifications on my requirements though:

 

- I need the board to either have WiFi onboard or to use a PCIe card for it

- The 32 GB RAM are required, can't down that to 16GB

- No HDD needed, if I ever need one I have a few laying around

- The 2080 Super seems overkill for 1440p 60fps; I'm okay with medium-high settings, gaming really is more of a bonus for the system. I'd rather go with a 2060 super and spend part of what I saved on the Meshify C Dark + a better PSU/Cooling

 

Maybe something like this

 

this is pretty good build. you wont need other than the stock cooler. the stock cooler is decent but its pretty loud.

Get the fogus G instead of meshify C. its cheaper


|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.

Read this: 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

this is pretty good build. you wont need other than the stock cooler. the stock cooler is decent but its pretty loud.

Get the fogus G instead of meshify C. its cheaper

The stock cooler being loud is the reason I want a better cooler - couldn't stand the noise. Since the Brocken 3 is in the High-End 140mm tier in the tier list it should be fine. And the difference in price between Focus G and Meshify C is just 23€ so I prefer that (looks a lot better). Gonna pull the trigger on this system, thanks for the help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bakchyl said:

- The GPU probably needs to be upgraded, I agree, but the DL Frameworks limit me to Nvidia Cards with CUDA cores

- The board with WIFI makes sense, but the site says the board supports max DDR4-3466 - is DDR4-3600 useful with that board?

- Not sure if I'm gonna benefit from TLC because I don't generally have workloads with sustained writes but in that price bracket I could get a 970 EVO 1TB for 7€ more and would probably prefer that over a Silicon Power (never heard of them until now)

- The Meshify C Dark is 10€ more and (to me) looks much better so I'd rather go for that

- I intend to wait for Ryzen 5000 before I upgrade again and will probably also upgrade the PSU at that point

- I should have probably mentioned that I want the PC to be quiet! (sorry about that 😁); The PC should be reasonably silent and I'm willing to pay a premium for that. The "be quiet!" stuff is on the pricey side but does offer good cooling without much noise. Also about the CPU cooler, you linked a dual tower cooler, should i go for a dark rock pro 4 over the dark rock 4? And I've never used a dual tower cooler before, do i just use a y-cable splitter and hook up both fans to the CPU fan header?

- Equivalent will be RTX 2060S or 2070 then, 2070 is slightly better but only slightly.

- Yes. 3466 rating only came because the board itself came when 2nd gen CPUs are the newest ones available and they struggle to reach 3600

- That's price dependent, plenty of TLC PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD with DRAM available. More known will be the WD SN750 (was Black series) and Samsung 970 Evo (and variants), lesser known ones will be the Corsair MP510, Silicon Power P34A80, HP EX950 (my 920 has slower writes, not an issue for me tho) and Seagate firecuda.

- Meshify C can hold up to 4 140mm fans and 1 120mm fans while itself comes with 2 120mm fans. You either buy 2 140mm and 1 120mm fans to combine with the stock fans or 4 140mm fans and maybe a stock fan

- All that I'm really targeting is 600w-700w PSU, so you can upgrade the hardware without touching the PSU. ATX12VO (basically, new PSU standard) is trying to compete with the current ATX12V standard today so might as well get a PSU good enough to last till the winner is determined (which will take years and more)

- I dont like be quiet stuff because all they did is get a previous gen Noctua-performance fan and slow it down to make less noise. Completely pointless to someone controlling fan speeds manually (or at least, aware that this is an option).

Dont need dual tower for R5 3600 (or even the 8 core 3700x), I just picked the Phantom Black because it's cheap. Not as efficient as newer coolers for cooling, but size compensates for technology and at that price point, everything else seems to be Hyper 212 clones


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites

Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo is a good cooler for the price. Even the single fan version would do fine.

 

The Mortar MAX and wifi adapter works out around the same price as the Gaming Pro Carbon, but you get the full fat bios on the MAX boards. Still has USB 3.2 Gen 2 at the rear.

 

The 3200MHz kit is cheaper.

 

Changed the SSD to the Sabrent Rocket.

 

Cheaper version of the 2060S.

 

Better psu that is nice and quiet.

 

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€177.99 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  (€40.88 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€110.80 @ Alza) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€141.89 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€139.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  (€434.89 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€101.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  (€34.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1283.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-03 22:24 CEST+0200


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
47 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

- Equivalent will be RTX 2060S or 2070 then, 2070 is slightly better but only slightly.

- Yes. 3466 rating only came because the board itself came when 2nd gen CPUs are the newest ones available and they struggle to reach 3600

- That's price dependent, plenty of TLC PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD with DRAM available. More known will be the WD SN750 (was Black series) and Samsung 970 Evo (and variants), lesser known ones will be the Corsair MP510, Silicon Power P34A80, HP EX950 (my 920 has slower writes, not an issue for me tho) and Seagate firecuda.

- Meshify C can hold up to 4 140mm fans and 1 120mm fans while itself comes with 2 120mm fans. You either buy 2 140mm and 1 120mm fans to combine with the stock fans or 4 140mm fans and maybe a stock fan

- All that I'm really targeting is 600w-700w PSU, so you can upgrade the hardware without touching the PSU. ATX12VO (basically, new PSU standard) is trying to compete with the current ATX12V standard today so might as well get a PSU good enough to last till the winner is determined (which will take years and more)

- I dont like be quiet stuff because all they did is get a previous gen Noctua-performance fan and slow it down to make less noise. Completely pointless to someone controlling fan speeds manually (or at least, aware that this is an option).

Dont need dual tower for R5 3600 (or even the 8 core 3700x), I just picked the Phantom Black because it's cheap. Not as efficient as newer coolers for cooling, but size compensates for technology and at that price point, everything else seems to be Hyper 212 clones

- I updated my build to use a 2060S

- Might switch back to the Tomahawk MAX then and use a PCIe WiFi Card (same price)

- I think I'll stick with the P1 for now but thanks for the alternatives

- I intended to use 2x 140mm as intake for the front, 1x 140mm top back and 1x 120mm back as exhaust, do you think I should change that?

- Yeah I actually went for your recommended PSU in my adapted build because it seemed to make more sense

- I switched the be quiet CPU cooler to an Alpenföhn Brocken 3 60.62 CFM CPU Cooler; as for the case fans - which ones do you recommend?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bakchyl said:

- I updated my build to use a 2060S

- Might switch back to the Tomahawk MAX then and use a PCIe WiFi Card (same price)

- I think I'll stick with the P1 for now but thanks for the alternatives

- I intended to use 2x 140mm as intake for the front, 1x 140mm top back and 1x 120mm back as exhaust, do you think I should change that?

- Yeah I actually went for your recommended PSU in my adapted build because it seemed to make more sense

- I switched the be quiet CPU cooler to an Alpenföhn Brocken 3 60.62 CFM CPU Cooler; as for the case fans - which ones do you recommend?

 

 

That seems like a nice build. The 2060S is the best cost-benefit since it's the cheapest RTX card with 8gb of vram. Remember to enable mixed precision (with fp16) so that you can make use of those tensor cores and save some memory!


FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×