SMB, SteamCache and PiHole from one machine?

tldr: i plan to use SMB, SteamCache and PiHole from one system. how do i configure this?

Ok so it's 4AM currently and i can't sleep. so i decided to get a start on a project i was gonna do next week, but what the hell right?

i have the following hardware spare:

Mid-2007 Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. this will be my "server" since it's small and power efficient.

USB 3.0 sata enclosure and a 500gb hdd.

USB 3.0 2TB WD MyPassport.

i plan to make a super neat setup out of this. now before you shout at me, i'm aware i'm limited by USB 2.0, but that's still like 450mbps, and this will be used mostly for SteamCache. my internet speed is 100mbps, so it's 4x faster than my internet even when limited to usb 2.0 speed.

now, my plan is to do the following:

- use a 64gb usb stick for the OS (Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS)

- the Mac Mini has an internal 500gb hdd. i plan to put this hdd and the 500gb usb one in Raid 1 for a 500gb volume available on SMB for file storage.

- the 2TB WD MyPassport will be the SteamCache drive

- i want to host PiHole on Ubuntu Server

i'm very familiar with Linux and how to do things in commandline, i just need to know how to do all of this and how to set up the computers in the house so they can make use of all of this. if someone can guide me a bit or link me to a guide for all the various things i want to do then that would be very helpful.

She/Her

You have multiple gaming machines with the same games? Because unless you're doing some scraping theres absolutely no point in a Steam cache for a single machine....

Personally I would configure it with Docker. Theres a PiHole docker image, and theres a number of good steam cache dockers, the most popular being monolithic lancachenet  https://hub.docker.com/r/lancachenet/monolithic

Essentially as your "DNS" server configured on your clients or in your DHCP you want the IP address of your steam cache, then steamcache's upstream DNS server will be your Pi-hole, and then thats upstream server will be your external DNS like from your ISP, Cloudflare, Google, etc...

Lancache docker instructions: http://lancache.net/docs/installation/docker/

Pi-hole docker instructions: https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole/

You need to do the manual install, so you can define your DNS server. I'd probably setup Pi-hole first

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA