Picking a new PSU

muscadin

Hey guys,

Back in 2014, I needed a cheap but powerful MacOS machine, so I built a hackintosh, and since I only needed CPU power at the time, I went for an intel i7 4790k and used the integrated GPU.

Obviously that rig didn't need a lot of power, so I used an old Corsair CX400 PSU I had, and it worked perfectly.

Flash forward to april 2020: I'm confined to my flat, and bored to death, so I get a new SSD, a new GPU and stuff those into the old hackintosh I haven't turned on in years.

Every game now looks much better than on PS4 pro now, but… that poor old PSU sounds like a jet fighter.

Not only is the noise distracting but I'm afraid it's going to fry and take the whole thing out.

Current setup is:

Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H

Intel i7 4790k with Noctua NH-U14s

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz

Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 (500 Go)

Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8Gb

Corsair 550D with 6 Noctua NF-A14 PWM

I'd like you help in choosing between: 

• Seasonic Prime Titanium TX-650 for 178€
  • Seasonic Prime Titanium TX-850 for 310€
  • Seasonic Prime Titanium TX-1000 for 340€
  • Corsair RM1000x for 200€
  • Corsair AX850 for 260€
  • Corsair AX1000 for 320€

Of course I'm open to other suggestions but please keep in mind I'm the "Only buy once but spare no expense" kind of guy. I might overclock both my CPU and GPU in the future, upgrade my motheboard and CPU to AM4 and Ryzen at some point and add a second GPU if that ever becomes a thing again. 

Also many things are currently out of stock here in France and my choice is therefore pretty limited 😕

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:

Hey guys,

I had no idea there was so much more to PSUs than their electrical performance…

So, I've read a lot about multi-rail and OCP and ended up comparing every model listed in the S and A+ tiers, and their current availability in France.

It appears to me the best model from every standpoint is the AX1600i, but 550€ is more than I'm ready to spend. 

I found pretty good deals on the HXi series, 180€ for the HX850i, and 240€ for the HX1200i.

I know what many are going to say, 850w is probably more than I'll ever need from a PSU, but it's not that much more expensive, and I like the idea of running fanless 99% of the time. Also… headroom?

What do you think?

Edited by muscadin
update

Out of this Seasonic Prime Titanium TX-650 I suggest

U can go with corsair rm650 is more than enough 

You don't need more than 650 watts for any system with a single video card. 2 video cards in the future won't be a thing .... you'll sooner have 12v only power supplies or some other power standard before having 2 video cards as a thing. Don't waste your money. 

No need to spend on anything higher than Platinum ... the savings in electricity between platinum and titanium are extremely small and you already get very high quality and long warranties with gold and platinum models.

Also look at

113 e (gold)  : Seasonic Focus Plus - Bloc d'alimentation modulaire complet - Or 650 W - 80 Plus: Amazon.fr: Informatique

125 e (platinum) : Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Platinum - 650W | Achat pas cher & Avis

142 e (with passive switch) : Fractal Design Ion+ 760w  : - FD-PSU-IONP-760P-BK-EU: Amazon.fr: High-tech

145 e  Seasonic Prime Gx-650 Fully Modular PC-Power Supply 80Plus Gold 650 Watt: Amazon.fr: Informatique

Hey guys,

I had no idea there was so much more to PSUs than their electrical performance…

So, I've read a lot about multi-rail and OCP and ended up comparing every model listed in the S and A+ tiers, and their current availability in France.

It appears to me the best model from every standpoint is the AX1600i, but 550€ is more than I'm ready to spend. 

I found pretty good deals on the HXi series, 180€ for the HX850i, and 240€ for the HX1200i.

I know what many are going to say, 850w is probably more than I'll ever need from a PSU, but I like the idea of running fanless 99% of the time. Also… headroom?

22 hours ago, muscadin said:
  • Seasonic Prime Titanium TX-650 for 178€
  • Seasonic Prime Titanium TX-850 for 310€
  • Seasonic Prime Titanium TX-1000 for 340€

Mediocre fan, lacks multi rail OCP. Way overpriced. 

Corsair RM1000x for 200€

Lacks multi rail OCP, way overkill wattage. 

• Corsair AX850 for 260€
  • Corsair AX1000 for 320€

Same thing as the Prime Ultra Titanium, but with a shorter warranty and Corsair Type 4 pinout. 

Imo, better options could be the Leadex III, Ion+ and RMi. 

:)

39 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Mediocre fan, lacks multi rail OCP. Way overpriced. 

Lacks multi rail OCP, way overkill wattage. 

Same thing as the Prime Ultra Titanium, but with a shorter warranty and Corsair Type 4 pinout. 

Imo, better options could be the Leadex III, Ion+ and RMi. 

I have updated my original post, and have had what I think is a pretty good deal on a Corsair HX1200i, what do you think? Again, availability currently is a problem in France.

1 hour ago, muscadin said:

I have updated my original post, and have had what I think is a pretty good deal on a Corsair HX1200i, what do you think? Again, availability currently is a problem in France.

HXi would be better than all the ones listed in the OP. 

can also pick up a V1300 from the UK. which even with included VAT is still very good deal.

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/cooler-master-v1300-platinum-80-plus-rated-1300w-psu-atx-fully-modular-power-supply-unit.html?wgu=13527_109047_15884260647278_b3b4dcb4a1&wgexpiry=1596202064&source=webgains&siteid=109047

edit: worth noting that these are highly overkill wattages and powersupplies. and you can get by with way cheaper offerings. like a Bitfenix whisper M or similar.