Building first computer soon - want opinions :D

Nino

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($117.98)

Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.84)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99)

Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($244.99)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99)

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy ($79.99)

Total: $891.76

My budget is $900, is what im getting good for the money?

I play WoW,Skyrim,Minecraft, and am thinking of picking up Rift. Nothing else much but gaming on this. The case I picked out was chosen due to its features, it seems it can span many years and many builds. I plan to not over clock

I would recommend that, unless you are rendering, to go with an i5 3570k. Here's a build I did with it, but without your case:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wq4K

It is kind of hard to work a good build with that current case and that budget.

My Rig:

• CPU: 1090T@4.1ghz
  • GPU: Gigabyte 7870
  • MOBO: Crosshair Formula V
  • RAM: 8GB 1333mhz
  • PSU: 650w corsair HX
  • SSD: 120GB Kingston HyperX
  • Sound card: Asus Xonar DX

I would recommend that, unless you are rendering, to go with an i5 3570k. Here's a build I did with it, but without your case:

So would oyu advise against the case? i just picked it out because it would be the only case i could possibly need for years.

What are you planning on doing with the PC? is it for gaming? Are you planning on overclocking?

The parts you chose are good, but I agree with MrWatch, I'd opt for the i5. In terms of case, its a nice case, but if you're on a budget, I'd go with a cheaper case and invest the difference in the CPU. With that said, case is important if you're going to overclock, you'll need to have good airflow which to be honest, this case provides.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT

MB: ASUS ROG Dark Hero VIII 570S

MEMORY: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 32GB (8GB x 4) @ 3200Mhz

CASE: Corsair 680x

STORAGE: 256GB M.2(PCIE) EVO 970 | 1TB Curcial M.2 (PCIE) SSD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

For a machine like this, I would get a Cooler Master HAF 912 and put the saved money toward a 600W power supply so you can upgrade in the future. I agree with MrWatch, you should get the i5 3570K. Its such a cray price to performance ratio. Other than that, it's looking really good! Remember to post a picture once you get it assembled!

The case isn't bad. The only problem is being on a budget causes you to get a lot less for your money with that case. I would advise saving up until you can accommodate something like what I put together, but with your case. That way you could spend less in the long run.

My Rig:

• CPU: 1090T@4.1ghz
  • GPU: Gigabyte 7870
  • MOBO: Crosshair Formula V
  • RAM: 8GB 1333mhz
  • PSU: 650w corsair HX
  • SSD: 120GB Kingston HyperX
  • Sound card: Asus Xonar DX

There are still great case options out there for around $100 such as the NZXT Phantom 410 and the Fractal Design Define R4. You will want to grab an aftermarket CPU cooler even if it's just a Hyper-212 Evo or something along those lines so that you can overclock. Also, can't beat this deal on the 3570k if you have a microcenter near you.

There are still great case options out there for around $100 such as the NZXT Phantom 410 and the Fractal Design Define R4. You will want to grab an aftermarket CPU cooler even if it's just a Hyper-212 Evo or something along those lines so that you can overclock. Also, can't beat this deal on the 3570k if you have a microcenter near you.

I'm too afraid to overclock...

You are spending way too much on a case, you could get a 660 ti or a 670 with a less appealing case...

Just like everyone else is saying, switch the case to something not as expensive. I would recommend something like the Antec Gaming Series One for $50, it's a great case for budgets, painted interior, adequate airflow and cable routing solutions. For the $170 you saved, I would put an extra $20 into another PSU such as the Antec HCG 620M, the PSU is semi-modular, high quality and from a reputable brand. With the extra $150 or so, you can put that into an alterative GPU such as the HD 7950, it can be found for $300 -- I would recommend this over the 660Ti due to the wider memory bus and extra 1GB of VRAM. Once you start cranking up the AA and/or resolution you won't lose as much performance as you would if you went with the 660Ti due to that 384-bit memory bus vs 192-bit memory bus. Lastly with the extra $30-$50 you can upgrade the motherboard to the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 which goes for $130.

Hope that helped.

If I were you I would go for the gtx 660ti

One other thing to note is that you can get double the storage for $10 or less more. Just saying.

As for your part choices, I think you're getting a pretty good value for your money and you'll really like it for those games =P

I agree with everyone else on saving money on your case. That money can be well placed elsewhere in your build for more performance. Looks are nice, but can be upgraded later. However, you're the one that will be looking at it so it's up to you =p

I think maybe to trow a ssd in there to get the maximum performance out of Windows 8 and to cut back on the case. Not that it's a bad case or something but i agree what -ravens2792- says, to buy something like a Fractal Design Define R4. If you looking at appearance of the cases, than that's your opinion.

I am astounded by the amount of feedvack i have gotten thank you all so much. ^_^ Also updated

MSI GTX660Ti is the better choise , If i was you i would get a faster memory like 1600MHZ With XMP profile.

The Psu , i honestly would go with a bit higher wattage like 550 Watt Something like a TX550 so you have some watage for future upgrades.

And if you are going to strictly game on it a 3570K Is MORE then enough.

And just for getting some better cooling get a Cooler Master 412S performs very well , is quite and is cheap.

Hope you do something with my tips ;)

Interested in Business and Technology

You need a better power suply that one is too weak. You will have problems, if I was you i would go for a 600w.

I plan for no future upgrades or overclocking, so i believe the psu is fine :D

I plan for no future upgrades or overclocking, so i believe the psu is fine :D

Yeah but 430 watts is cutting it for a 660 ti and power supplies lose wattage over time. so you might consider something closer to 500 watts.

With that budget I would drop to the i5 3570K. You said you're pretty much going to be gaming on this case so you're not going to be really taking advantage of the hyperthreading so why "waste" that extra. Put that money to upping your power supply to, like most people said, a 600watt. Will leave your build a bit more flexible for the future.

With that budget I would drop to the i5 3570K. You said you're pretty much going to be gaming on this case so you're not going to be really taking advantage of the hyperthreading so why "waste" that extra. Put that money to upping your power supply to' date=' like most people said, a 600watt. Will leave your build a bit more flexible for the future.[/quote']

this.

drop to the i5 and reinvest savings into a better power supply. not that corsair makes a bad power supply, or that the psu you've chosen is by nature a terrible choice. but it is a little skimpy for your build and the psu is the last place you want to skimp on with any build, plus a quality psu will last you for years, across many upgrades or whole new builds.

also invest in an aftermarket cpu cooler. even if you dont think overclocking is for you right now. something like a hyper 212 is dirt cheap and will at least allow the option to overclock. you would be suprised at how easy it is to get started down the overclocking path, especially down the road when your system starts to show its age a bit. there is literally no point in spending the extra money on a k series cpu if you arent going to overclock it. also it will sound much less annoying to opt for the aftermarket cooler if you're like me and hate high pitched noise.

With that budget I would drop to the i5 3570K. You said you're pretty much going to be gaming on this case so you're not going to be really taking advantage of the hyperthreading so why "waste" that extra. Put that money to upping your power supply to' date=' like most people said, a 600watt. Will leave your build a bit more flexible for the future.[/quote'] this. drop to the i5 and reinvest savings into a better power supply. not that corsair makes a bad power supply, or that the psu you've chosen is by nature a terrible choice. but it is a little skimpy for your build and the psu is the last place you want to skimp on with any build, plus a quality psu will last you for years, across many upgrades or whole new builds. also invest in an aftermarket cpu cooler. even if you dont think overclocking is for you right now. something like a hyper 212 is dirt cheap and will at least allow the option to overclock. you would be suprised at how easy it is to get started down the overclocking path, especially down the road when your system starts to show its age a bit. there is literally no point in spending the extra money on a k series cpu if you arent going to overclock it. also it will sound much less annoying to opt for the aftermarket cooler if you're like me and hate high pitched noise.

Yea if gaming is your thing i7 is a waste of $$,go i5 and spend that extra money into a bigger psu so it at least has some extra room and an after market cooler since you're getting a K series cpu

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

If you haven't bought already, here are my recommendations:

- Downgrade to i5 3570K and save $100.

- Upgrade to Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz RAM for an additional ~$15

- Upgrade to GTX 670 if you can

- Upgrade your PSU to something 80+ certified, but on the 500W side to be safe

- Get a better case, like the CM Haf 912 Advanced for $20 more

Total additional cost probably ~$100

Would be far superior.

Where can you get a 3770K for $229.99!? That is only $10 more than the average 3570K!

With that budget I would drop to the i5 3570K. You said you're pretty much going to be gaming on this case so you're not going to be really taking advantage of the hyperthreading so why "waste" that extra. Put that money to upping your power supply to' date=' like most people said, a 600watt. Will leave your build a bit more flexible for the future.[/quote']

this.

drop to the i5 and reinvest savings into a better power supply. not that corsair makes a bad power supply, or that the psu you've chosen is by nature a terrible choice. but it is a little skimpy for your build and the psu is the last place you want to skimp on with any build, plus a quality psu will last you for years, across many upgrades or whole new builds.

also invest in an aftermarket cpu cooler. even if you dont think overclocking is for you right now. something like a hyper 212 is dirt cheap and will at least allow the option to overclock. you would be suprised at how easy it is to get started down the overclocking path, especially down the road when your system starts to show its age a bit. there is literally no point in spending the extra money on a k series cpu if you arent going to overclock it. also it will sound much less annoying to opt for the aftermarket cooler if you're like me and hate high pitched noise.

Thank you! I'll downgrade to a non-k-series processor