Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ItsTworty

Looking for a good work laptop (IT)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently got a new job and will be dealing with alot of on-site and off-site IT work, since i need to be on the run alot and i dont own a laptop right now ive gotten the funds from the company to acquire a brand new workplace laptop that will become an additional signing bonus, (around 1500$-2k$)

What Laptops would you guys recommend? preferrably something light with a ethernet port if possible :) The possiblity of having a docking station is also a big plus :P 

Thanks in advance :D 


CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x, GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 6GB(Update pending), Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus,
Ram: 
G.Skill Trident Z neo C16 3600Mhz 16GB, PSU: Corsair RMx750W Gold.
(Build not complete.)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally i would go for an 2 in 1 so you can use it on the go with the touchscreen.


When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say the best option out there right now with ethernet and a docking station is probably the Lenovo Thinkpad T490/T490s. It is also worth mentioning that any laptop with a thunderbolt port basically has a docking station these days, although most don't have ethernet built in.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

 

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

XPS13 all day.


Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ItsTworty said:

I recently got a new job and will be dealing with alot of on-site and off-site IT work, since i need to be on the run alot and i dont own a laptop right now ive gotten the funds from the company to acquire a brand new workplace laptop that will become an additional signing bonus, (around 1500$-2k$)

What Laptops would you guys recommend? preferrably something light with a ethernet port if possible :) The possiblity of having a docking station is also a big plus :P 

Thanks in advance :D 

Well, since you're looking for a dock that means you already know Business class is the way to go.

 

The best options would be a ThinkPad T495 or EliteBook 840/845/745 G6 or G7

 

If those are too large, a ThinkPad X1 Carbon or EliteBook 830 G5/G6 or a ZBook U. A ThinkPad P53s is also an option

 

All of these come with heavy duty water/dust/dirt/shock resistance and are VASTLY better quality than consumer junk like XPS or Spectre models

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

XPS13 all day.

No. He Need's a work laptop, not an overheating laptop with latency issues and shoddy electrical deaign

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

No. He Need's a work laptop, not an overheating laptop with latency issues and shoddy electrical deaign

What? I have used an XPS13 as my work laptop for the last three years with literally zero issues. Having such a light machine with such a good battery has been really nice when I've had to make site visits.


Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

People tend to forget why business class exists - reliability. That's why Latitude/EliteBook/ThinkPad stands out. It won't give you issues, random crashes, headaches and what not.

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

What? I have used an XPS13 as my work laptop for the last three years with literally zero issues. Having such a light machine with such a good battery has been really nice when I've had to make site visits.

We've returned multiple XPS models due to severe heat and DPC latency issues. I cannot recommend such a bug-ridden machine in good faith. It's not suited to on-site work and it's not good for anything past browsing Facebook. If it were, there wouldn't be a need for business grade Latitudes which Dell also makes and sells

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

People tend to forget why business class exists - reliability. That's why Latitude/EliteBook/ThinkPad stands out. It won't give you issues, random crashes, headaches and what not.

We've returned multiple XPS models due to severe heat and DPC latency issues. I cannot recommend such a bug-ridden machine in food faith. It's not suited to on-site work and it's not good for anything past browsing Facebook. If it were, there wouldn't be a need for business grade Latitudes which Dell also makes and sells

I don't know man, I can only speak from my own experience, I've yet to have any issues or complaints with my XPS13 doing programming for building automation systems.


Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

I don't know man, I can only speak from my own experience, I've yet to have any issues or complaints with my XPS13 doing programming for building automation systems.

We have to remember a study of 1 case is nothing compared to multiple cases.


When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

I don't know man, I can only speak from my own experience, I've yet to have any issues or complaints with my XPS13 doing programming for building automation systems.

Well you got a unicorn. Out of twenty that I've seen, only one is issue free. The others are reporting trackpad problems, heat problems, lots of fan noise at idle, screen bleed (talking wicked bleed) and the afdormwntioned DPC latency issues

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, nevermind OP, forget I said anything


Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for all the replies guys much appriciated!!

I've spoken with the other guys and they are also recommending the Lenovo X1 carbon series. And ive now kinda set my eyes upon the X1 G7 with the i5-8265U processor since the local prices are quite high here as for now :| Model number: 20QD00L3MX

Heard romours about them having pretty good battery life aswell so im looking forward to trying one later next week :D 
 


CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x, GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 6GB(Update pending), Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus,
Ram: 
G.Skill Trident Z neo C16 3600Mhz 16GB, PSU: Corsair RMx750W Gold.
(Build not complete.)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Well, since you're looking for a dock that means you already know Business class is the way to go.

 

The best options would be a ThinkPad T495 or EliteBook 840/845/745 G6 or G7

 

If those are too large, a ThinkPad X1 Carbon or EliteBook 830 G5/G6 or a ZBook U. A ThinkPad P53s is also an option

 

All of these come with heavy duty water/dust/dirt/shock resistance and are VASTLY better quality than consumer junk like XPS or Spectre models

What do you mean? My spectre runs quiet, and is better than any laptop I've used, it is literally higher quality than any laptop I've used.


Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ItzCopiouz said:

What do you mean? My spectre runs quiet, and is better than any laptop I've used, it is literally higher quality than any laptop I've used.

It's better than the very low end junk like your typical Pavilion or Inspiron, sure. But it cannot hold a candle to an EliteBook or ThinkPad ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

It's better than the very low end junk like your typical Pavilion or Inspiron, sure. But it cannot hold a candle to an EliteBook or ThinkPad ;)

 

It's working quite well for me.


Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ItzCopiouz said:

It's working quite well for me.

That doesn't mean it's better than true Business class machines :) - it's decidedly average in the grand scheme of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 5x5 said:

That doesn't mean it's better than true Business class machines :) - it's decidedly average in the grand scheme of things.

Ok. I don't really have any complaints about my current laptop. Works just fine for me.


Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ItzCopiouz said:

Ok. I don't really have any complaints about my current laptop. Works just fine for me.

Again, that's okay - but it's not something that can be compared to true high end devices which can withstand much harsher conditions, are designed in a far more sophisticated way (i.e. are designed to last longer) and which come with a higher grade of internal components.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Again, that's okay - but it's not something that can be compared to true high end devices which can withstand much harsher conditions, are designed in a far more sophisticated way (i.e. are designed to last longer) and which come with a higher grade of internal components.

Yeah, this laptop was not made to be a tank, but that is fine for me, since I don't swing it around everywhere.


Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Again, that's okay - but it's not something that can be compared to true high end devices which can withstand much harsher conditions, are designed in a far more sophisticated way (i.e. are designed to last longer) and which come with a higher grade of internal components.

It has features that I value, like long battery life, great screen, and lightweight. But other laptops are made for other purposes, like the elitebook.


Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ItzCopiouz said:

Yeah, this laptop was not made to be a tank, but that is fine for me, since I don't swing it around everywhere.

Yes, but since the OP is using it for work, an extra layer of reliability is always good considering downtime means lost time and money :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 5x5 said:

Yes, but since the OP is using it for work, an extra layer of reliability is always good considering downtime means lost time and money :)

That is 100% true.


Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ItzCopiouz said:

It has features that I value, like long battery life, great screen, and lightweight. But other laptops are made for other purposes, like the elitebook.

Again, this is YOUR choice - but the OP has different needs than you. Be considerate of that. You've spent several posts defending a purchase that nobody cares about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×