Can a PS4 output 480p over scart or composite?

Ashley MLP Fangirl
Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,
1 minute ago, Twilight said:

doesn't the tv need to support that too?

Most HDMI to SCART/Composite converters are going to convert the signal to 480i (or 576i, I guess) just because they can't support 480p.

Sorry for being confusing about all of this, but to put it simply, just buy whatever HDMI to SCART or Composite converter you want and you should be good.

i know what you're thinking, why the hell would you want that. well, my main tv is a 30 year old CRT that i got from my grandma when she upgraded to an LCD, and it still works really well. it was a very expensive tv for the time and you can tell, colors still look super good compared to cheap modern tv's.

also, i have a big retro media collection and i often watch VHS on the same AV setup, so i do not want a modern TV.

now that you know that, i want to know if a PS4 can output to such a TV. i have a PS3 on the setup already and it works great, but i was thinking of picking up a used PS4 since they are really cheap now, but if i'm gonna do that i need to know if it works with my stoneage tv.

She/Her

45 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

The PS4 can output at 480p natively. Just make sure you yoink an HDMI to SCART/Composite adapter (whichever is easier for you) for your TV.

do i need to get an adaptor of a specific type for scart or can i just buy whatever i find?

She/Her

24 minutes ago, Twilight said:

do i need to get an adaptor of a specific type for scart or can i just buy whatever i find?

Literally just any HDMI to SCART adapter should work for a CRT, but if you're specifically looking for progressive scan output, you should look for something that can, well, handle that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

but if you're specifically looking for progressive scan output, you should look for something that can, well, handle that.

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

Most HDMI to SCART/Composite converters are going to convert the signal to 480i (or 576i, I guess) just because they can't support 480p.

Sorry for being confusing about all of this, but to put it simply, just buy whatever HDMI to SCART or Composite converter you want and you should be good.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

480p looks better right? iirc it does... the tv is 50hz because PAL, i don't know if that matters...?

She/Her

Just now, Twilight said:

480p looks better right? iirc it does... the tv is 50hz because PAL, i don't know if that matters...?

480p would look, not necessarily better overall, but it'd look a bit more cohesive than 480i, same goes with 576p to 576i. And yes, the PS4 supports 576p, so you shouldn't have problems there.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

480p would look, not necessarily better overall, but it'd look a bit more cohesive than 480i, same goes with 576p to 576i. And yes, the PS4 supports 576p, so you shouldn't have problems there.

awesome. does it matter that the tv is 50hz?

She/Her

Just now, Twilight said:

awesome. does it matter that the tv is 50hz?

It shouldn't be an issue if you're running at 576p (576i), as that's a 50Hz resolution only. If you're trying to do 480p (480i), it more than likely will be a problem unless the converter can take the signal and scale it to 576i.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

It shouldn't be an issue if you're running at 576p (576i), as that's a 50Hz resolution only.

i'll try that then. thank you!

She/Her

Do note that most PS4 games and apps are designed with 1080p in mind and are intended to be run at no less than 720p. You can run into to serious readability issues with a lot of text. Also, a lot of detail can be lost making some games more difficult to play as well. I'm not super well versed on SCART but I do know the standard can use composite, RGB, and S-Video. Make sure the TV is RGB or, at minimum, S-Video capable as well as whatever adapter you get. Composite will probably make a lot of text illegible.

I can remember when the Xbox 360 came out and later the PS3. Most people still had CRTs. A lot of people had trouble playing a lot of games because the text was too small to read. To be fair, they were also usually using composite video which made it even worse. I have PS2 games that can be hard to read with composite (hence why I use S-Video on my CRT setup). I have a PS3 in my CRT setup that's not too bad on S-Video, but it's only used for watching DVDs (it's actually fantastic for DVDs, better than my dedicated Onkyo DVD player) and playing PS1 and PS2 Classics from the PS Store. I use my other PS3 on my LCD to play PS3 games.

@B16CXHatch I use my PS3 on composite on this TV and it works totally fine. Keep in mind though my eyesight is quite bad and I don't see the imperfections on the screen well. That's part of the reason why I can enjoy movies on VHS when those are regarded as unwatchable now.. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

enjoy movies on VHS

omg.gif.40e957ef5172c86cba6741acb6b4372a.gif

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

That's part of the reason why I can enjoy movies on VHS when those are regarded as unwatchable now.. 

tbh VHS looks (and definitely sounds) better than anyone ever gives it credit for. No, it's hardly state-of-the-art, and when you blow it up to a 4K TV, it does actually look awful, but it definitely looks okay on a 1080p TV and definitely sounds really good.

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean that you should :)

7 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

tbh VHS looks (and definitely sounds) better than anyone ever gives it credit for. No, it's hardly state-of-the-art, and when you blow it up to a 4K TV, it does actually look awful, but it definitely looks okay on a 1080p TV and definitely sounds really good.

even on a 1080p tv it looks like ass compared to a CRT...

7 hours ago, Warin said:

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean that you should :)

what do you want me to do, buy a modern tv?

She/Her

I am pretty sure you have to have a monitor with an HDMI input on it somewhere.  That would be vastly superior to trying to shoehorn an HD signal onto an SD device.

15 minutes ago, Warin said:

I am pretty sure you have to have a monitor with an HDMI input on it somewhere.  That would be vastly superior to trying to shoehorn an HD signal onto an SD device.

the point is not to have a hd signal on an sd device. i want the ps4 to output an sd signal for my sd tv.

She/Her

The PS4 does not support SD output.  It has no analog video output capability.  It is actually a feature, not a bug.  The PS3 was Sony's last console to support SD resolutions, which is why it had the analog output port.