Design for My Homemade Server Rack

Skipple

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my design for my homemade server rack. I've been getting into the hobby recently and am in need of a rack to host all my new hardware. Unfortunately the secondhand market for racks near me is virtually unavailable or ludicrously expensive.

• 24U Capacity
  • 36" Depth
  • Total Size: 23.75", 42.5", 36" (height is without casters)

Image of the final design: 

image.png.e9dcb7f8f24ea99c9d5f32526a22f660.png

And with the side-panels removed:

image.png.4b2465777b0f78dd96db7bfe68dd6104.png

So a bit of explanation of how this will work. The design is modular with the ability to move components around without needing to purchase and use rack rails. 1/2 inch rebar will slide into side of the rack, then through 2x2 wood which will hold the server up and act as rails the server will sit on. The rebar and rails can be moved as needed as components change and evolve. Each rail rack will take up a bit less then 1U. (so each component you add will add +1U to it's footprint)

image.png.e46a3b3cc64bc3737c7c8cea1284df01.png

Side panels are held in with thumbscrews allowing for easy removal when the rail racks need to be changed around. The side panels also ensure the rebar is held in-place and don't accidentally pop out. (that would be bad)

I would love to hear your thoughts regarding this. Any issues I am overlooking?

I think it will be a fun project!

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

are you going to buy rails for the front and back or just make shelves? 

are you planning to put panels on? drill holes for fans? cut holes for power through the bottom? 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Just now, VioDuskar said:

are you going to buy rails for the front and back or just make shelves? 

are you planning to put panels on? drill holes for fans? cut holes for power through the bottom? 

Nope, this solution was so I didn't have to use rails. The components will simply be shelved. 

Panels are going on the top and two sides as shown in the first two pictures. The front and back will remain open for airflow. No need to cut holes. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

Very nice! Quick suggestion tho.. The shelfs you are making.. You should put something in the front of them like a crossbar so that the air are forced through the servers. Otherwise i gotta say i really like the design.

1 hour ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Very nice! Quick suggestion tho.. The shelfs you are making.. You should put something in the front of them like a crossbar so that the air are forced through the servers. Otherwise i gotta say i really like the design.

I'm not so sure I understand what you are suggesting. The servers will sit on top of the 2x2s on the side so almost all sides will be open. 

I threw together a block to represent a 2U server... Does this make sense? 

image.png.95e2305030625ec42c6133caf249d5f2.png

ask me about my homelab

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

If the server is sitting on the 1x1 wood, what is the use of the rebar? 

It's a 2x2. The 2x2s aren't screwed into to anything. The rebar is holding up them up, then the server sits on the wood. You could have the server sit directly on the rebar, but there is a good chance of scratching when taking it in and out. Also, weight distribution. 

ask me about my homelab

2 hours ago, Skipple said:

It's a 2x2. The 2x2s aren't screwed into to anything. The rebar is holding up them up, then the server sits on the wood. You could have the server sit directly on the rebar, but there is a good chance of scratching when taking it in and out. Also, weight distribution. 

Ahh so they are acting like dowels? 

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Ahh so they are acting like dowels? 

Precisely. The idea actually started with using steel dowels, but I figured that would put too much strain on both sides of the wood. 

ask me about my homelab