Pc infinite loading on startup

HissingTurtle

I turn my pc on it gets to where I can press f2 to get into the bios but then goes black and just loads forever

is this a new build? did it work before? when did you first see this? 

do you actually get in to BIOS/UEFI or does the machine attempt to boot an OS?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

14 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

is this a new build? did it work before? when did you first see this? 

do you actually get in to BIOS/UEFI or does the machine attempt to boot an OS?

No it's not new, its worked for a almost a year, it started yesterday, 

I can get in the BIOS/UEFI 

what is the longest amount of time you waited to see if it would boot? 
are you booting into a Windows OS? 

what kind of storage drive are you using for the OS? HDD, HSDD, SSD, 3.5in, 2.5in, m.2? 

what are your components or is the a pre-built machine?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

what is the longest amount of time you waited to see if it would boot? 
are you booting into a Windows OS? 

what kind of storage drive are you using for the OS? HDD, HSDD, SSD, 3.5in, 2.5in, m.2? 

what are your components or is the a pre-built machine?

Well over an hour, yea a Windows 10 os

3.5in hdd

AMD ryzen 5 2600

Gtx 980 4gb 

tuf gaming b450 plus gaming mobo

Tforce Vulcan z 16gb ram 3000mhz

okay. first boot into BIOS/UEFI and see if the BIOS sees that drive. if not it's probably a dead drive. 

I also wouldn't rule out a GPU issue yet either. just so you know that's on the table. it's possible a GPU boots the BIOS screen driverless, then fails when it tries to render an OS.

however, if you see the little windows loading dots spinning in a ring that means the GPU is probably fine. and maybe we can perform a chkdsk (checkdisk)

and ugh, not to make more waves, but it's also possible that you have a bad RAM stick that has a dead spot in memory that's not accessed in BIOS, but is once it gets an OS dumped to it. 

SO! look in the BIOS, and tell me if you see the HDD. Then tell me if you get the windows spinning dots. then we can try a ChkDsk!

5 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

okay. first boot into BIOS/UEFI and see if the BIOS sees that drive. if not it's probably a dead drive. 

I also wouldn't rule out a GPU issue yet either. just so you know that's on the table. it's possible a GPU boots the BIOS screen driverless, then fails when it tries to render an OS.

however, if you see the little windows loading dots spinning in a ring that means the GPU is probably fine. and maybe we can perform a chkdsk (checkdisk)

and ugh, not to make more waves, but it's also possible that you have a bad RAM stick that has a dead spot in memory that's not accessed in BIOS, but is once it gets an OS dumped to it. 

SO! look in the BIOS, and tell me if you see the HDD. Then tell me if you get the windows spinning dots. then we can try a ChkDsk!

Yea I can see the hdd and are these the right spinning dots?

15881366176867444044310925220284.jpg

YES! okay. so it's probably not a GPU or RAM issue. 

the issue is possible fragmentation or a corrupt boot sector. this is good-ish. you're going to want to get into windows recovery if you can. 

just start SLAPPING that F11 key when you boot up. from there you should be able to get into windows recovery. 

you'll want to go into trouble shoot, then something like check disk, or repair disk. 

4 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

YES! okay. so it's probably not a GPU or RAM issue. 

the issue is possible fragmentation or a corrupt boot sector. this is good-ish. you're going to want to get into windows recovery if you can. 

just start SLAPPING that F11 key when you boot up. from there you should be able to get into windows recovery. 

you'll want to go into trouble shoot, then something like check disk, or repair disk. 

I'm unable to get into Windows recovery, f11 did nothing :(

1 minute ago, HissingTurtle said:

I'm unable to get into Windows recovery, f11 did nothing :(

pull the drive out, get a cheap SATA to USB adapter, so you can get all of your files off of it, buy a new SSD (m.2 if you can) and flash windows onto the new SSD. Move your files onto your SSD

or just lose everything and reformat and reinstall windows on that HDD. 

i'd get away from using HDDs for OS drives. they're slower, and fragment over time. you have to defragment them regularly. 

before you hit the nuclear button though, make a bootable windows 10 USB and see if you can boot to it, then use it's recovery tools to run a checkdisk on your HDD before you declare it dead. 

18 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

pull the drive out, get a cheap SATA to USB adapter, so you can get all of your files off of it, buy a new SSD (m.2 if you can) and flash windows onto the new SSD. Move your files onto your SSD

or just lose everything and reformat and reinstall windows on that HDD. 

i'd get away from using HDDs for OS drives. they're slower, and fragment over time. you have to defragment them regularly. 

before you hit the nuclear button though, make a bootable windows 10 USB and see if you can boot to it, then use it's recovery tools to run a checkdisk on your HDD before you declare it dead. 

Ive managed to get here. Not sure what's next though

15881386860411358801642799190391.jpg

36 minutes ago, HissingTurtle said:

Ive managed to get here. Not sure what's next though

15881386860411358801642799190391.jpg

Also am I able to test the hdd on a different pc

1 minute ago, HissingTurtle said:

Also am I able to test the hdd on a different pc

startup repair. 

if it doesn't work, command prompt and you'll have to do some terminal commands

When Command Prompt launches, type the command:

chkdsk C: /f /r /x

The parameters for this command are: /f option will attempt to fix any found errors /r option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information /x option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan If the 😄 drive is in use, type Y to run a scan at your PC’s next restart. If so, exit Command Prompt and restart the computer.

try this if you can get to the command line. make sure the disk you want is actually the C:drive using Dir commands. or List Volumes 

3 hours ago, VioDuskar said:

try this if you can get to the command line. make sure the disk you want is actually the C:drive using Dir commands. or List Volumes 

What do I do once this has finished( it's still going btw) the first stuff it check didn't have any problems

1 hour ago, HissingTurtle said:

What do I do once this has finished( it's still going btw) the first stuff it check didn't have any problems

I finished the check, there  wasn't any problems found

On 4/29/2020 at 5:59 AM, HissingTurtle said:

I finished the check, there  wasn't any problems found

sorry, i went to sleep man. how did it go? any luck in the last day? if not i'm unload your data and try to reinstall windows. 

On 4/29/2020 at 12:53 AM, VioDuskar said:

If you cannot boot into Windows normally and have tried other troubleshooting steps, there are a few other options.

• Safe mode. Try booting into safe mode with networking, then if that doesn't work, try without. Safe mode uses basic drivers and is generally good for narrowing down an issue. If the issue still persists, could be dead components/bad drivers
  • Bad drivers. Try to narrow down what components (if any) could be causing a driver issue (in particular GPU).
  • As VioDuskar said, dead/bad components can cause an OS to not load. Check these. Reseat RAM, CPU, GPU, check hard drives, etc.
  • The fact that Windows couldn't find a problem with the boot sector is a good sign, but it doesn't help us very much. Try repairing from a Windows boot medium (Windows install DVD, flash drive, etc.) This may find a problem. Never hurts to try.
  • Manually reformatting a boot sector/Windows partition can help if you know what you are doing. There are many guides online for this, just BE CAREFUL. This can cause more problems than it solves. If you're uncomfortable with it, don't do it! Data could be lost.
  • Restore points/backups. If all else fails, revert back in time to a last know configuration. A Windows ISO/recovery disk is also an option.
    • If you can't do this (don't have any backups/restore points), move all of your data off of the OS with a live Linux USB. Then try reinstalling Windows. Again, last ditch option.

Remember, your data come first, Windows second. Backups from a Linux USB can never hurt and may allow you to reinstall Windows and get back up to speed quickly if need be. I hope something here helped. Good luck!

Freshly made puns